AAR V 1.700 (J campbell and Normal View)

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

j campbell

AAR V 1.700 (J campbell and Normal View)

Post by j campbell »

Ok, well i kicked off a new PBEM with Normal on version 1.700.

Fairly standard opening in my opinion with the exception of no assault on norway (it is a bit exposed position to hold in my opinion-at least until u attrit the british fleet somewhat)

Combat report:

5 inf vs. Netherlands and won.
7 Pz/ 2 bomber/ 2 tac air vs. Paris and won. ( I had 1 tank damaged)
1 U-boat vs. BR transport off Canadian coastline with result of damaged transport

I proceeded to repair all infrastructure in France and the low countries and strat rail my units across the board-there is now a large build up in Prussia.

Researched:
sub evasion and torpedoes
Fighter air to air
Tank evasion

(note: i did this turn before i read the forum on combat results/factors-i too though evasion was the best thing to research because it kept my unts alive and on screen-will begin hvy tank attack research next turn)

Production:

cancelled hvy fleets and air carrier -expaned u-boat building program and infantry production (need lots of inf to keep partisans down and protect our mech units)

My goals:

Next will be Yugoslavia followed by Greece. by spring of 1941 i should have the majority of units in position for a strike on the USSR. hopefully by this time my u-boats torpedoes systems and evasion will be increased and i will try a Brood X approach to the Atlantic (i hope to overwhelm the BR fleet defenses so they cannot counter all my U-boats at 1 time (i only have 3 uboats at present that can sortie-the 2 in Italy are bottled up)

Japan

I start railed alot of units to secure areas in China and prepare for an assault on canton i believe.

Research:

carrier air evasion and torpedoes
fighter air to air

Production:

3 inf units ( to make up for expected losses in China and to ward off soviets in Far East)
carrier air
fighter air
lots of SUPPLY

cancelled 1x carrier and 1 x Hvy fleet

My goal:

nail 1-2 China provinces and prepare for blitz of SRA sometime before 1943 USA intervention.

comments are welcome,
john
"the willow branch but bends beneath the snow"
Pkunzipper

RE: AAR V 1.700 (J campbell and Normal View)

Post by Pkunzipper »

Nice to see another AAR with a newer beta version!

If you aren't playing with FOW on, can you please post a screenshot (one for each of Pacific and European Theatre) at the end of every your turn? Thx!
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

I'll see what i can do about screenshots-for some reason my video card or monitor-i haven't figured out which one yet keeps giving me dual screen display on my screeenshots-like i have 2 monitors or somethng. i have tried to remedy this thru the profiles/preferences segment of the monitor to no avail. will keep trying-until then we will be needing Normal View to do it.

john
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

ok, i have managed to fix my monitor situation. will post screenshots upon completion of next turn's events.

john
Normal View

Post by Normal View »

Here's my side of the war.

Russia

Nothing to do this turn but change production a bit. The Heavy Fleet was removed from the Leningrad build queue. Southern and Central Urals are building factories. Researched Infantry evasion and Mechanized land attack values. The rest of my production was infantry.

Western Allies

After two seperate attacks by a total of four Light Fleets, the enemy sub off the coast of Canada was damaged.

Enemy forces in Italian East Africa were subdued.

Heavy Bombers from England damaged resources in the Netherlands.

Cairo was reinfocred with a Tactical Air and Artillery.

The rest of the turn consists of shifting supplies and ships around. A double layer of fleets and aircraft protects the coast of England (try goose-stepping over that.)

North West and South Central USA are producing factories. I have placed research in Light Fleet and Transport ASW, Heavy Bomber land attack, Fighter AA, and some infantry and mechanized improvements.

China

Some troop movements along the border but not much else happens.

Here is a shot of Europe at the end of the turn:

Attachments
0008 - Europe Sp40.jpg
0008 - Europe Sp40.jpg (107.93 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Normal View

Post by Normal View »

And here's the production overview at the end of China's turn.

Attachments
0007 - Pro..ion Sp40.jpg
0007 - Pro..ion Sp40.jpg (101.15 KiB) Viewed 48 times
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

ok,

we expect a new version out sometime today.

since we are only 1 3 month turn into the game we are going to start anew later tonight. i wil begin posting on a new thread tonight.

Joel and his team are doing a great job getting the newer versions out and taking all the support/feedback in stride.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”