SPWaW Versions

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
JaegerJ

SPWaW Versions

Post by JaegerJ »

Can scenerios from SPWaW 7.0 and version 8.0 be exchanged? A friend has 8.0 and I have 7.0 we like and dislike various scenerios and would love to be able to compose a list of favorites. Any suggestions out there?[:(]
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

RE: SPWaW Versions

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

8.0d the current file download had to be offered as just a complete file and not as a patch due to the many inner changes involved.

It is possible that the scenarios "might not be completely compatible".

But I must confess, I have never actually gone and deliberately swapped scenarios back and forth from earlier versions.

I only know this much from past comments on past threads, it is generally a problem, and usually requires scenario designers to often update their creations.

So chances are, earlier scenarios might not run "correctly".
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
JaegerJ

Post by JaegerJ »

Thanks Sarge. How about a giant list of compatible scenerios? As I am not very computer literate, I don't think I'd be the best candidate for such a task. Anyone out there brave enough to try?
Also, is there a way to provide text for a scenerio that I've designed? I'm an amatuer military historian and would love to take a stab at creating one.
Skeletor

Post by Skeletor »

Also, is there a way to provide text for a scenerio that I've designed?

Open up Notepad and write the description of yor battle, using "_" for blank spaces and "*" for line breaks.

Save the file as scenXXX.txt (replace XXX with the slot number where you saved the scenario) in the directory c:\matrix games\steel panthers world at war\scen.

Now when you start up the game and select your scenario, you should be able to see the new description.

It might be helpful to open up that directory and look at a few descriptions for other scenarios before you start.

-Skeletor
JaegerJ

Post by JaegerJ »

Skeletor your the man! Thank you!![&o]
Resisti

Post by Resisti »

ORIGINAL: JaegerJ

Thanks Sarge. How about a giant list of compatible scenerios? As I am not very computer literate, I don't think I'd be the best candidate for such a task. Anyone out there brave enough to try?
Also, is there a way to provide text for a scenerio that I've designed? I'm an amatuer military historian and would love to take a stab at creating one.
JaegerJ,
remember the first rule of thumbs: read the manual! [;)]

Most of replies to your questions about designing, lay there...
Federico "Resisti" Doveri
JaegerJ

Post by JaegerJ »

Where in the manual? Maybe I'm just blind.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

In spite of that blast in General Forum, I am not really annoyed.

If you go into the Steel Panthers specific forum, you will meet most of the guys that actually make the scenarios. they are the best place to get best replies.

They also have a great site over here.

http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/index.php

It's sort of a Steel Panthers gang sorta hang out.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
JaegerJ

Post by JaegerJ »

Hey Les! Well thank you very much for that info!
Throwin' stones in a glass house, ...die by the sword, etc. These phrases come to mind.
You fired first. You used a,"well-aimed", shot to hit me,(and by the looks of it), others in that forum.

I check out these pages to get help in enjoying my hobby and discuss it with others with similar interests. If your a long time player and want to help us newbies that's cool and god bless you. If you want to indulge in fantasy and offer provocative opinions, well... what do you expect?
So Les, I'm sure your a great guy. I'll try and be more of a gentlemen next time. Just be careful where you aim those words! They hurt too!
Peace,
JaegerJ
Resisti

Post by Resisti »

Where in the manual? Maybe I'm just blind.
Scenarios' editor: from page 133 on
Campaigns' editor: from page 172 on
JaegerJ

Post by JaegerJ »

Wow! I looked in the manual and found a description on how to change SPWW2 into SPWaW. I guess I could try the same For 7.1 to 8.0 versions. Has anyone tried it? It looks ponderous and time consuming but probably worth it for individual scenerios.

All I'm trying to ask about version compatibility is,
Has anyone updated all past scenerios into the most current updated version of this amazing game?

Thank you Resisti for shoving my face back into the manual. It does help to be well read. My pleas for help have been answered.
Asking questions without reading the manual can be frustrating to veterans and make some of us newbies look dumb,(and here's the BUT),
but, we ask you guys because we don't want to re-invent the wheel.
SPWaW has a GIANT manual and lots of us get so excited about the game we want to begin the fight without any training!

So what have I learned from this cyber-interaction?

Search and read the manual before asking questions, then ask them anyway. Other people might've seen something I've missed and can perhaps add something meaningful they've learned through experience.

Thanks again for your help.
This game out-f***in'-standing![:D]
Voriax

Post by Voriax »

Has anyone updated all past scenerios into the most current updated version of this amazing game?

Yes, Resisti has.[8D]
I don't know exactly how many scenarios he has converted but I'm sure he'll chime in. 300 perhaps? But basically it is the designers task to update scenarios, some people update and some do not.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
Resisti

Post by Resisti »

ORIGINAL: Voriax

Yes, Resisti has.[8D]
I don't know exactly how many scenarios he has converted but I'm sure he'll chime in. 300 perhaps? But basically it is the designers task to update scenarios, some people update and some do not.

Voriax
Yes, I did.
And I did for MOST of the 340 abt scenarios which will appear in 8.2. [X(]
Saying most, and not all, cause some of them have been revised directly by authors.
I must admit, tough, that my work ended BEFORE any changes to the game engine was applied, so I can’t assure that ALL of them will work 100% as expected.
For what I’ve seen playing a bit around with last mech.exe tough, I didn’t find anything macroscopically wrong.

For those who wants to know what has been done in terms of scenarios’ revision, and didn’t read this yet, check here:

tm.asp?m=563103
JaegerJ

Post by JaegerJ »

SPWaW 8.2. Sweet.
You guys are supermen. Words aren't enough.[&o]

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”