If you were Born before 1985

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

The Leprechaun

RE: Politically Correct

Post by The Leprechaun »

Ahh the good old days. are still here. people arguing about whoes country sayed whoes when. and al that crap. I rather not argue about because it will never end
In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis
Nickel

RE: If you were Born before 1985

Post by Nickel »

Great post David. I was born in 1954 and that is just how I remember it. I would appreciate the link even you send it PM. Life used to be pretty good before we got too many lawyers in this country. I suppose everyone has a right to make a living or be offended by whatever they choose.
never in driblets, but in mass
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

You don't know the sheer joy of eating lead filled paint chips[;)]
"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."
Knaust

Post by Knaust »

I was born in 1940...and when I was 5 old, I saw a Sherman in the square of my Italian town...and met the boys of the Hebraic Brigade...but I didn't know that there was WWII...[8|]
BumMcFluff

RE: If you were Born before 1975

Post by BumMcFluff »

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi Guys

This was not intended to be serious... it was something I found funny and not in any way to be taken seriously. See I knew I should not have some out of the office. [8|]

David

I found it funny and more than a little on the mark. Anyone who finds fault in this, or can't see the humour, or just doesn't get it...well they're not really any big loss are they?
They do say, Mrs. M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you'll soon discover when I stick this toasting fork in your head.
pterrok

Post by pterrok »

In the basement of my childhood house in Detroit, the pipes leading from the furnace were wrapped in plastered asbestos! (There was one section where it was cut out to expose the pipe, so I could see the corrugations and it was exactly like the heating pads you used on bunsen burners in lab class.) Anyway, when we would roller-skate (strap on skates, not in-line!) down there in the summer we would sometimes hit the pipes with a broomstick to make it 'snow'. Sure it was mostly regular dust and plaster dust, but...<g>

Still alive, still kicking, no health problems, same with my four siblings...My brother still owns the house, I wonder if he ever COULD sell it. It's a shame that bad science--blue asbestos, NOT white was the subject of the original study--could be used as a scheme to get rich for, well, you fill in the blank! [;)]
Makoto

Post by Makoto »

great I missed all of the fun by one year?
It is sincerity and faithfulness. It is self-sacrifice, duty, adherence to principle and unwavering loyalty to one's lord despite what the lord stands for, good or evil. It is an acceptance of one's place and status.

This is Makoto
pterrok

Post by pterrok »

You know, nah, it couldn't be, could it?

It seems to me that lawyers in the US were not allowed to advertise--that changed sometime during my childhood--teenage--young adult years. When was that exactly, and is this when the country went litigation crazy? Hmmm...we started getting all the late-night injury ambulance chasers and then the product liability ads...
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: pterrok

You know, nah, it couldn't be, could it?

It seems to me that lawyers in the US were not allowed to advertise--that changed sometime during my childhood--teenage--young adult years. When was that exactly, and is this when the country went litigation crazy? Hmmm...we started getting all the late-night injury ambulance chasers and then the product liability ads...

Yes, the code of ethics for lawyers once prohibited advertising as being "desultory to the integrity of the calling." Then, some enterprising young attorneys sued the bar association in South Carolina, asserting that this was an unfair restraint of trade. The case was eventually heard by the United States Supreme Court, which held that lawyers, just like other lowlife, ought to be allowed to market their nasty wares "within the constraints of reasonable limitation."

The rest is history. "Have you been injured in a car accident? Do you want to be?" Of course, lawyers have never been generally held in high esteem. Witness the Jarndyce v. Jarndyce element of Dickens's Bleak House, for example.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
jzpops

Post by jzpops »

Born in '68. Shiny metal slides that flash-baked your skin on a sunny 90 degree day. Smallpox shots and the round scar on your arm... my sister, 10 years younger, doesn't have that scar; I don't know whether to be grateful for that now, or paranoid.

I can still remember our first color television... forget the remote, or cable, or a built-in vhs tape player. And Pong! WOW! PONG! And record players... and actually cooking food in an over, having to wait two hours to eat.

My parents were horrified when gas hit $1.00/gallon. Shocked. Appalled.

Brown courderoy pants. Polyester green suits. Platform shoes... for men. 8-track tapes. Rotary-dial phones. BB guns. Penicillin, the wonder drug.

Yeah, we didn't have the internet... but we didn't spend $700 for a computer, and we didn't get "Keep It Up All Night!" and "See Her... and Her... and Him... and a Horse!" emails, either.

Does anyone still whittle, anymore?

<sigh>. Progress isn't necessarily advancement.
"I'm tired of hearing what Lee is doing to us. Start thinking of what you are going to do to him."

4 out of five comedians agree: pun fallout is 10 times more toxic than plutonium.
Raindog101

Post by Raindog101 »

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I tried talking to a friend a short while back about the Gulf War (first one). I was stunned when he really didn't understand what I was talking about. I told him sheeesh it was on the news man night and day, where the heck were you. Les I was only 6 it wasn't all the interesting to me at the time :)

I had the pleasure on being born the year the world almost ended. 62 Bay of pigs, the big show down. Move your missiles or else.

I remember being a kid, playing and all that. I have tried to limit how much I remember of my middle age years though. The cold war was too cold while I was a part of it.
I did not enjoy the film The Day After. It was so bloody flaky that the society I lived in actually thought they could wage nuclear war and get away with it.

Now Bush wants a stupid missile shield to defend against fairy tale enemies. All he will do is make the rest of the planet scared of the US enough for them to band together to get rid of the US.
Problem is, I am standing next to Bush at the moment.
My only hope is, when the push comes to shove, they use something clean and efficient, so that they don't get me too.

It won't come in a missile attack, that is soo 80s. No it will likely come through the President's email. The world better collectively wake up soon.
The "Bay of pigs" had nothing to do with missiles. It was a CIA sponsered adventure to remove Castro from power.

Plus the fact that it happened in 1961 not 1962 makes me wonder if you even know what year you were born in.

Maybe you're thinking of the "Cuban Missle Crisis" which happened in 1962 and indeed did bring the world to the absolute brink of nuclear combat.

Yes a working missle shield that would hopefully one day render ICBM's obsolete would be a bad thing. [8|]

You're one of those types that would have claimed flight to be impossible, laws of physics will prevent race cars from ever exceeding 150 MPH, and man will never walk on the moon. [8|]
BumMcFluff

Post by BumMcFluff »

ORIGINAL: pterrok

In the basement of my childhood house in Detroit, the pipes leading from the furnace were wrapped in plastered asbestos! (There was one section where it was cut out to expose the pipe, so I could see the corrugations and it was exactly like the heating pads you used on bunsen burners in lab class.) Anyway, when we would roller-skate (strap on skates, not in-line!) down there in the summer we would sometimes hit the pipes with a broomstick to make it 'snow'. Sure it was mostly regular dust and plaster dust, but...<g>

Still alive, still kicking, no health problems, same with my four siblings...My brother still owns the house, I wonder if he ever COULD sell it. It's a shame that bad science--blue asbestos, NOT white was the subject of the original study--could be used as a scheme to get rich for, well, you fill in the blank! [;)]

Eh?
They do say, Mrs. M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you'll soon discover when I stick this toasting fork in your head.
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

If you were born before 1985 - And you can find nothing more exiting to do than play WitP and other ' stoopid boy war games' - my Girlfriend's often used quote! Then my friends you are not quite making the best of your youthful good looks, clean health and fine white teeth!!

At one time in the murky deep past I would entertain and thrill with my vigour and beauty, every day was a ritual to decadent bacchanalian behavior . Now, alas, I am hollow knee'd, weak eye'd and generally knackered and the only ritual I am bothered with is a nice cup of Earl Grey.

I was born in '64 and 1985 was a good, good year - I got a Dragon 32 computer and played 'Quest' untill.......................Oh dear, Just realised that I was one of those sad 'stoopid boy wargammers'!

Embark

Post by Embark »

YUMM Lead Chips!
The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst.
Henry Fosdick
Jonathan Palfrey

Post by Jonathan Palfrey »

David, it was a good post and I think most people here have appreciated it.

I was born in 1954 and I remember my grandmother giving us sugar sandwiches as a treat. I shudder now, but it didn't actually kill us, and I still have teeth.

I don't know much about lawyers, but it seems to me they have a professional interest in being offended by anything. Perhaps especially in America...
wodin

Post by wodin »

Born in 1971. Being a wargamer also has led me onto to take an interest in social history. Though the "good old days" might not have been that godd I do despair of the society of today. God knows what its going to be like in a few generations time.
The two major things that have gone are "MANNERS" and "RESPECT".

Return to “General Discussion”