The Operational Art of War - CW Edition

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Mike Carroll

The Operational Art of War - CW Edition

Post by Mike Carroll »

I found this in the sale bin at the game store and bought it for $5.00. I have played a couple of the WWII scenarios and downloaded the WWI, but was disappointed that they do not have air or naval. Well to get to the point, this seems like a really good game model. The naval and air elements are abstracted and could be better, but this is more of my style game. It gives you the feel of the old board wargame feel. Does anyone know if someone is going to update the game? I have really enjoyed Uncommon Valor and am looking forward to War in the Pacific. But what I would really like to see is a game like this for WWI or the Napoleonic Era.
Fallschirmjager

RE: The Operational Art of War - CW Edition

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Your lucky I looked for that game for months
IronDuke_slith

Post by IronDuke_slith »

ORIGINAL: Mike Carroll

I found this in the sale bin at the game store and bought it for $5.00. I have played a couple of the WWII scenarios and downloaded the WWI, but was disappointed that they do not have air or naval. Well to get to the point, this seems like a really good game model. The naval and air elements are abstracted and could be better, but this is more of my style game. It gives you the feel of the old board wargame feel. Does anyone know if someone is going to update the game? I have really enjoyed Uncommon Valor and am looking forward to War in the Pacific. But what I would really like to see is a game like this for WWI or the Napoleonic Era.

Mike,
There are WWI scenarios floating around for this, although the game isn't optimised for the period, I've played a couple and they are good.

The latest patch done officially was 1.05. The designer Norm Koger, left Talonsoft who own the title, and has since gotten a 1.06 patch out that seems to fix one or two Windows XP issues among other things.

Most game clubs will have scenario depots where you can pick up some of the WWI scenarios you want. I'm not aware of any napoleonic ones, to be honest, I think the game wouldn't support them. Rugged defence can be found here.

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/news.php

It wouldn't surprise me if further patches are released, although I have no information on whether Norm plans this or not. I suspect there won't be any major game engine development, though.

If you want the future....well, try the Battlefields! forum elsewhere on the Matrix site. Have a look at the screenshots and the AAR etc. I think you'll find something else you like!

Regards,
IronDuke.
John David

Post by John David »

IronDuke is Correct!

Once it is released, Battlefields will be a game that many like!

JD
The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

The game is a classic in every way that is useful just like Steel panthers is, but like Steel panthers, it is also unfortunately showing it's age more and more.

But if you got it for 5 bucks, call that lucky, as it can go for up to 60 bucks new. But the supply line appears cut at this time.

The game is well supported over at Warfare HQ by the way.

http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

They have an active community, and yes, there are a LOT of user made creations for it.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

Which leads me to question, why have we not seen (or at least I should say "I") a really good ACW (computer) game? I want a game that captures the feel of the day, allows me to ship my troops via rail, and that also has a naval element in it. Considering the strong interest in this war (more so in the US) there have been no games that seem to hit the mark.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe »

do COW WW2 scenarios work with the WOTY edition?
Ainsi dans le courage et ainsi dans la peur, ainsi dans la misère et ainsi dans l'horreur.

"first you need a tear, just a tear of gin......and then a river of tonic"
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

The best place to give that answer, would likely be over at Warfare HQ.

As for ACW, I would not be surprised if there hasn't already been numerous hand made scenarios for that with TOAW.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Mike Carroll

Post by Mike Carroll »

I found an American Civil War Scenario for this game. I am attempting to find someone to play against, but it is in beta so I do not know.

As far as a strategic level civil war game the best one out there (in my opinion) is the American Civil War by Frank Hunter. The game is 7 or 8 years old and still interesting - a bit dated. You can find a free download at the Adarandac Site that Frank still have setup.

As you know he is working on the WWI game and Campaigns on the Danube. I believe he is also working on a Victoria era game. Then hopefully the next installment on the American Civil War will be next. And best of all it will be here at Matrix.
Mike Carroll

Post by Mike Carroll »

Thanks for all the responses. At one of the above web sites I found an American Civil War game. It even had a special weapons database for the 19th century. I have not played it against anyone yet, but will give it a try.

Thanks

Here's to hoping the next American Civil War game comes out soon.
VictorH

Post by VictorH »

It's a great game and scenarios can be found on some sites. Norm K. has his personnal site where you can get the patches, also Talonsoft is still around (although viewed as the enemy on this site).
Mike Carroll

Post by Mike Carroll »

What is the link to his site?
lefty nutter

Post by lefty nutter »

Best wargame ever IMO.

Norm Koger

A 19th century database has been compiled so I'm sure you there are some scenarios from that era.

Don't use the latest patch (1.05?), stick to 1.04 cos the armour losses are screwy. More info at Warfare HQ.
"We believe no more in Bonaparte's fighting merely for the liberties of the seas than in Great Britain's fighting for the liberties of mankind. The object is the same, to draw to themselves the power, the wealth and the resources of other nations."
Frank W.

Post by Frank W. »

also i think great game.

i have no. 1 + 2. but cannot find a original COW edition.
i think this is the latest complete version.

but there are also some questionable unit ( equipment ) stats.

but that´s in almost every game...also you can edit the stats.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

It's a beauty, don't worry about that brother. There are heaps of scenarios on the net and most of the major operations/battles from the "Big One" are available. Try to find the highly rated ones though because there's quite a lot of dross.

I have to admit to getting far too involved in some of them. The real world often got put on hold while I attempted to hold Kharkov, capture Aachen or cut off Army Group A etc.

Enjoy it mate. That's the best fiver you've ever spent. Battlefields! will be unbelievable if it's much better.

Cheers, Neilster.
Cheers, Neilster
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

And the best scenarios for TOAW-COW can be found from here.
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

Press the word here. [;)]
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
Mike Carroll

Post by Mike Carroll »

Thanks for the replies I have had a great time so far. I have just started a PBEM scenario for the Great War 1914-1918 as the Central Powers. I am really looking forward to your Great War scenario also. Great site!

I will also be playing the American Civil War scenario in a couple of weeks - so hopefully this will tide me over until some other games come out (War in the Pacific).
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

Just to make it sure, it's not my site but Daniel McBride's. I have played most of them and even playtested one, so I really can recommend them. One of the problems of COW is that making scenarios with it is relatively easy, but making quality ones is really tough job...
Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn
Frank W.

Post by Frank W. »

I have to admit to getting far to involved in some of them. The real world often got put on hold while I attempted to hold Kharkov, capture Aachen or cut off Army Group A etc.

Enjoy it mate. That's the best fiver you've ever spent. Battlefields! will be unbelievable if it's much better.

i think one of the best deals you could make that true.

also i must admit that playing too much of all
that great games really let´s you forget something
"the real world". that´s not always positive though.

Return to “General Discussion”