Red Storm Rising

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

RE: Red Storm Rising

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Slick! I'm almost disgusted that you haven't tried Harpoon4 tabletop. What the p*ss?

Everyone else... yeah, I played RSR on the C64 like it was goin outta style. I loved that game.

These days.. well, there's always Sub Command and.. the one I'm lookin' forward to..
http://www.scs-dangerouswaters.com/

Edit: In the meantime, if you have Sub Command let me recommend this spot for missions..
http://www.subguru.com/

Good devs... they follow up quite well. For example, they just released a compatibility patch for a game that was released back in 99. D@mn fine people.

First off, thx for heads up on SCS - I didn't know about it. Is there an ETA you know of?

Also, I've messed about for a long while, picking up Sub Command to buy - putting it back on the shelf - picking it up to buy - back on shelf. Is it any good? I LOVED Janes 688 Attack Sub (in fact when simulation meant something, Janes was the name). So is Sub Command worth it? (£16.00 from Amazon UK)

Thx
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I just thought of something.....What about Janes Fleet Command. From what I remeber that was a pretty reasonable game.

Oh...oh...I might get that out of the loft when I look for Red Storm Rising! [:D][:D][:D]
Alba gu' brath
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Shadow of the Condor

Have to agree that RSR was Clancy's best - predominatly covering the war from different aspects from KGB plots to Sgt. MacKall in the M-1 tank, and everyone inbetween. I did have the C64 version of the game (along with Crusade in Europe I think I wore the poor 5 1/4" drive out). I did download RSR from underdog, but it was frightening how foreign the EGA graphics looked to me when I tried to run it up. And of course, how could you survive without the handdy Keyboard overlay? Games like RSR, F14 Tomcat (and later F-22 Stealth fighter) and Gunship probably were some of the best times on the old system. And the transition from the old C64 with a tape player to an IBM 8088 - my gawd that "had" to be the "ultimate" in technology...didn't it?

(Pardon the reminscing...)

LOL, how true !
Slick91

Post by Slick91 »

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Slick! I'm almost disgusted that you haven't tried Harpoon4 tabletop. What the p*ss?

Well, I WAS waiting for the PC game to come out and that was based on the H4 rules. [:@]

I haven't played an actual board game in yeeeeeeeeeeeeears. But, all of mine are still in near mint condition. [:D]
Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I wish I hadn't started this! I'm going to have to get out Red Storm Rising, The Hunt for Red October, A Line in the Sand, MBT........

I can see a divorce coming on!!
Alba gu' brath
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Damn I can't believe that mention of RSR started all of this. Never played the computer version but I still love the two board games although haven't played them in years. Would be nice for someone to create the games in a more modern format. Sure it would be a hit. Now I want to mention another game that had a novel system of combat and then move. It was contemporary game set in the Mediterranean theater. Anyone want to guess?...........................well...................another hint.........publisher........SPI........in the mag S & T........................Ok 6th Fleet..... anyone remember?
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

Now THAT reminds me of my first flight sim....I think it was called Fleet defender? I always crashed my F-14 on the deck trying to land[:(]

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Now THAT reminds me of my first flight sim....I think it was called Fleet defender? I always crashed my F-14 on the deck trying to land[:(]

Fleet Defender! By Microprose. What a sim! Awesome. Nice one - forgot to mention Microprose when taking about Janes and simulations!!
Alba gu' brath
sprior

Microprose

Post by sprior »

And don't forget M1 Tank Platoon. Anyone else here remember DIs F-16 game?
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Slick91
ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
ORIGINAL: Slick91

“Team Yankee” was a very good read also, but only keeps the reader in an M1 tank platoon during a Warsaw Pact invasion of West Germany. That book is out of print though.

Huh? I ordered it just a month ago from Amazon.

When you ordered it, did it come directly from Amazon.com, or did you link up with a third party?

Directly from Amazon, brandnew.
Slick91

Post by Slick91 »

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Directly from Amazon, brandnew.

I don't know how you did it, but you can't do it now, I just looked at amazon.com. Although they list "new & used" it links you to people selling "new" copies. I do not doubt that you got a book in mint new condition, but I doubt that it was a newly printed book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer- ... dition=new

I was wrong in the fact that the last paperback printing was actually done in 1994 rather than 1988. If you contact any book reseller they will tell you it is out of print. It's just a stupid hair-splitting issue on my end.
Slick
-John Wayne
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

First off, thx for heads up on SCS - I didn't know about it. Is there an ETA you know of?

Also, I've messed about for a long while, picking up Sub Command to buy - putting it back on the shelf - picking it up to buy - back on shelf. Is it any good? I LOVED Janes 688 Attack Sub (in fact when simulation meant something, Janes was the name). So is Sub Command worth it? (£16.00 from Amazon UK)

Thx

I believe Dangerous Waters is due out by summertime. If you want a sub sim to tide you over then get Sub Command. It's just a greatly improved 688i with three different subs you can control (d@mn those Akulas are fun). If you want mods and user created missions, check out the Subsim.com boards - there are a number of people and sites. I'd recommend the SCX mod. They also have a Dangerous Waters giveaway thread if you post in it - you'll be registered for the drawing.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

who makes dangerous waters?
Alba gu' brath
Slick91

Post by Slick91 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

who makes dangerous waters?

Sonalysts is developing the game. They are the same company that made Jane’s 688i, Fleet Command, and published their own Sub Command.

http://www.scs-dangerouswaters.com/

As of now, they are continuing development, but are still looking for a publisher.

*COUGH* *COUGH*

I SAID, …THEY ARE STILL LOOKING FOR A PUBLISHER!
Slick
-John Wayne
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

Just went out and bought the book as I could not find my original copy. Looking forward ti the re-read
wulfir

Post by wulfir »

Reading tip coming up:

*drumoroll*

Red Army by Ralph Peters

[8D]
Semper in Primis
waynec

Post by waynec »

Reading List

The Sixth Battle by Barrett Tillman
War in 2020 by Ralph Peters
Decision at D-Day (alternate history) by Peter Tsouras
Fox on the Rhine and Fox on the Run (alternate history) by Douglas Niles
The Ten Thousand by Harry Coyle

for starters
If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.
Rummy

Post by Rummy »

Coyle and Peters were both great Cold War writers.

I'll add Larry Bond's 'Crusade' to the list--a thoughtful, thorough, and detailed look at a (relatively unrealistic) potential WWIII in Europe.
Rodney J. Ross III

Return to “General Discussion”