advance on loenen; winnable as allies???

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

pkpowers

advance on loenen; winnable as allies???

Post by pkpowers »

Maybe I'm advancing too slowly, but this is a tuff one for me, no spoilers, just windered if anyone wins as allies in this one
MarkShot

RE: advance on loenen; winnable as allies???

Post by MarkShot »

Yes, it can be done.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
Panther Paul

Post by Panther Paul »

I created it and it gave me trouble at first [:D]

Using HTTR Patch 2 it is actually easier than the original RDOA version! Your subordinates now do a better job of planning and carrying out attacks which can help alot. Especially if you are using orders delay.

One thing to realise, it was designed before we had orders delay, which is why it only goes 12 hours.

It is more of a puzzle than the other scenarios, you need to come up with a plan that will work as you wont have much time to change it once it all goes pear shaped, especially playing with orders delay!
Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd
The_MadMan

Post by The_MadMan »

ORIGINAL: pkpowers

Maybe I'm advancing too slowly, but this is a tuff one for me, no spoilers, just windered if anyone wins as allies in this one

It can be done but it was a hard nut to crack.
pkpowers

Post by pkpowers »

Thanks for the answers ; I always play now with "painfully realistic" on , so I'm sure that's causing me a few headaches. But I won't give up.
JeF

Post by JeF »

Winning 'Drive on Loenen' as the allies with the RDoA demo decided me to buy the game, some time ago. I awarded myself a pretty sig line (I think) in the process. I had made at least 20 attempts. [8|]
For a long time, I thought that the axis defensive positions could be choosen at random by the AI, like drop zones. Each time, the A.I. seemed to choose a slightly different defense strategy in response to my different plans.

It's the first scenario I tried on HTTR and I lost.
But, it is sure winnable as the allies.

Spoiler follows !!!!

Some clues ?
- do not play with realistic order delays. A change in your basic plan won't be possible in a mere 12 hours.
- note which objectives to take that will award you victory. And ignore other secondary objectives.
- if anyway you're always late, take the quickest route.
- play with orders parameters to find the most suitable. Some of your troops might need to advance at all costs.
- have fun. [:)]

JeF.

Attachments
LoenenVictory.jpg
LoenenVictory.jpg (77.68 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
Warpstorm

Post by Warpstorm »

I am not an expert at this game, but I was able to beat it (with order delays).

I figured that since my objective was the city, I'd avoid fights as much as possible and plotted a path for everyone through the woods avoiding known concentrations of enemies as much as possible.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Rats! I only needed another hour to be in Loenen!!!
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

I had the East Objective secured ...

Attachments
Loenen1.jpg
Loenen1.jpg (98.04 KiB) Viewed 88 times
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

And Loenen was poised to fall to my iron fist ...

Attachments
Loenen2.jpg
Loenen2.jpg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 88 times
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Oh, well ...

Attachments
Loenen3.jpg
Loenen3.jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 89 times
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

My mistake was to let regiment organize the attack. I should have just done it at the battalion level.
Golf33

Post by Golf33 »

I won this once by giving the Regt HQ an order to attack Loenen - no waypoints or FUP specified - it did a bang-up job, took the West objective and the city with no real dramas and about 45 minutes to spare.

The next time I tried the same thing, it didn't even come close to working - I must have just gotten lucky that time!

Regards
Steve Golf33 Long
JeF

Post by JeF »

ORIGINAL: Golf33
I won this once by giving the Regt HQ an order to attack Loenen - no waypoints or FUP specified - it did a bang-up job, took the West objective and the city with no real dramas and about 45 minutes to spare.

[:D]

Been there done that. My most frustating attempt at it. With a single order to secure Loenen the AI was better than I am. [:@]
Some times the AI is frustrating because it does not perform good enough, sometimes because it performs too well.

It was not the kind of victory I was looking for...
ORIGINAL: Warpstorm
I figured that since my objective was the city, I'd avoid fights as much as possible and plotted a path for everyone through the woods avoiding known concentrations of enemies as much as possible
It is exactly what you had to do : avoid the fight, go for the city. I usually take the road because it's fastest.
ORIGINAL: Markshot
Rats! I only needed another hour to be in Loenen!!!
19 out of 20 of my attempts at it finished that way. [;)]

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Well, it dawned on me what a wonderful exercise this scenario is when I was giving it a run through the other night.

In most scenarios, one must think ahead so as to not constantly be lagging on actions due to order delays. But this one brings the point home.

However, in this scenario, you are pushed to construct a plan that depends on certain things happening and being in place by the time they are needed. It very much illustrates how the operational planning process has multiple concurrent tracks. Or as we would do it the software industry, use gant charts and critical path charts.

Some examples from this scenario would be:

(1) Arty deployed in range by the time first contacts are made.

(2) Short range mortar fire base set up by the time the first attack assaults to clear one of the minor objectives.

(3) The first attack has cleared one of the minor objectives by the time the main Loenen attack force needs to transit the area and FUP near by.

These orders and others need to be issued knowing that the prerequisite will be met by the time another mission in progress. There is no room for waiting to see an outcome.

The scenario is a wonderful illustration of how you need to manage more than just terrain and forces. You need to manage time.

Return to “Highway to the Reich”