After Action Report: CotD,

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
Herr Colonel

After Action Report: CotD,

Post by Herr Colonel »

I am playing the first campaign, Ulm. The situation is as follows (and can be read by clicking on Napoleon's counter and selecting the Situation Report button):

In this scenario the Austrians under General Mack have advanced across Bavaria, pretty much unopposed but have outrun their supply. The French have crossed the Rhine and are situated to the north of Macks Austrians. The Russian forces under Kutuzov have begun advancing west along the Danube while another Russian column has arrived in Moravia.

** Reinforcement Schedule **

VII corps under Augereau
will arrive near Giengen in roughly 6 days

Guar corps under Bessieres
will arrive near Giengen in roughly 10 days

In the north, I have Bernadotte's I Corps and Marmont's II Corps. Bernadoutte has two divisions of infantry (under Rivaud and Drouet), a division of cavalry under Kellerman, and attached artillery. Marmont has three divisions of infantry (under Boudet, Grouchy, and Dumonceau), one division of cavalry (under Lacoste), and attached artillery. I plan on advancing both Corps to the south, through Nurnberg and ending at Neumarkt. If no Coalition forces are found, I plan on a line of advance that will take them through scenic Regensburg/Eckmuhl/Straubing, where each city is no more than two or three hexes away from each other. From there they will either advance continually to the southeast as the left wing of the La Grande Armee or swing southwards to trap any Coalition forces found in the area.

Davout's III Corps begins the scenario in the far northwestern corner of the map. Under him are the two infantry divisions of Friant and Gudin, as well as the cavalry division of Viallenes. The III Corps' artillery rounds out this unit. While smaller than the Corps of Bernadotte and Marmont, it still can provide a central 'hammer' if any Coalition forces are found in its path. Given the set-up, this corps will advance through Rothenburg to Gunzerhausen, with the objective of Dappenheim. From there, Ingolstadt or Donauworth on the Danube River are possible objectives.

Napoleon himself begins south of Davout, accompanying Soult's IV Corps, which is comprised of Vandamme, Legrand, and St. Hilaire's infantry divisions, Margaron's cavalry division, IV Corps' artillery, and a unit of Engineers. The Engineers will be useful, able to both build and destroy bridges as needed. This Corps, and Napoleon as well, will advance to Donauworth on the Danube, depending on Austrian troops in the area, if any.

Finally, Lannes' V Corps, Ney's VI Corps, and Murat's Cavalry Corps come in south of Napoleon and the IV Corps. Probably the most powerful grouping of troops on the field, these three corps will likely form the tip of any spear I point at the Coalition. Lannes' V Corps is comprised of infantry divisions under Oudinot, Gazan, and Suchet, a cavalry division under Fauconnet, and V Corps artillery. Ney's VI Corps has Dupont, Loison, and Malher's infantry divisions, Tilley's cavalry division, and VI Corps artillery. Murat's horse soldiers are comprised of divisions under Nansouty, dHautpoul, Klein, Walther, Beaumont, and Bourcier, as well as horse artillery. This large group will move with Murat at the lead, aiming for facing the large Austrian force immediately south at Ulm.

I issue orders to Lannes, Ney, and Murat to move south, but decide instead of sending Murat ahead to keep them together. The others I issue orders to move as I mentioned above. Since it takes time for the messengers to ride from Napoleon's headquarters, the farther out they are the longer it will take to receive an acknowledgement. I had better be sure of orders sent to far-flung troops, as conflicting orders can easily confuse the generals under my command, making them do something I did not want them to do.

The three corps to the south are issued orders, and I set their Retreat Point as well in order to specify a location they can run to if the Austrians bloody them too much (but of course, we will not think of such things before the first shot is fired). But preparation is always a good thing. I find it will take 14 hours to issue the orders to these men, so some waiting will take place before they move out.

The orders are sent. Most will take 14-20 hours, except for Soult, who will immediately receive them (as he is in the same hex as Napoleon). I keep in mind that Soult will be long down his road before the other commanders even come close to receiving their orders! Such things should be considered when issuing orders.

Here is the situation at the start of Turn 1. The crude red arrows (please forgive my drawing skills) indicate the path of advance for the three northern corps. More in a moment.

Attachments
AAR006n1.jpg
AAR006n1.jpg (94.33 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Michael Eckenfels
Matrix Games Writer/Editor
Herr Colonel

RE: After Action Report: CotD,

Post by Herr Colonel »

Note that the three corps to the south will advance as follows:

Attachments
AAR007n2.jpg
AAR007n2.jpg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 627 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

RE: After Action Report: CotD

Post by Herr Colonel »

At the end of the first day, Murat's cavalry is about to hit Austrian cavalry, but both are just out of reach enough to avoid contact.

To the north, the other Corps advance without any Coalition resistance in sight.

Below is a screenshot of the three corps to the south facing off against the Austrians:

Attachments
AAR008n3.jpg
AAR008n3.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 627 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

Please let me know if anyone finds this interesting and/or helpful. I love AAR's (I'm doing one on the Korsun Pocket game as well and plan on doing others)!

Thanks
Michael Eckenfels
Bis

Post by Bis »

Very good.
Jim Cobb
kgsan

Post by kgsan »

I'm curious to see how the game plays and am enjoying the AAR. Please keep it going.
VictorH

Post by VictorH »

Yea, keep it up.
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

Thanks all! I will continue tomorrow (Sunday).
Michael Eckenfels
benpark

Post by benpark »

Yeah, good work. I am interested in seeing the gameplay in action, so this is helpful.

Glad to see Napoleonic gaming making a comeback at Matrix.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

I'm still relatively new at this game so hopefully I won't look like a complete idiot. I love Napoleonics, however, so I think my enthusiasm makes up for it.

[:)]

Oops. The southern three corps almost immediately run into trouble. A giant stack of enemy appears just before my southern effort; intelligence at LGA headquarters says a force of about "7500 men" but that looks a hell of a lot more than that. Observe:

Attachments
AAR012.jpg
AAR012.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

While the forces to the north advance relatively unhindered, the southern corps, I have a feeling, are going to have more than their share of fighting to do. I'm entertaining the possibility of redirecting Soult's IV Corps to the south to support them, but I'll wait and see what happens. If the Austrians win against this huge force, it will take major reorganzation of my other three scattered corps before I have a chance to bring them to bear against the Coalition forces.

Looks like a fight is brewing (see screenshot below). Here's how it breaks down:

French
81 Infantry (40,500 men)
51 Cavalry (25,500 men)
14 Artillery (equivelant to 672 pounds total of artillery)

Coalition
82 Infantry (41,000 men)
36 Cavalry (18,000 men)
8 Artillery (equivelant to 384 pounds total of artillery)

So the fight looks even, with a slight edge to the French in cavalry and a significant advantage in artillery.

Attachments
AAR013.jpg
AAR013.jpg (35.28 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

VIVE LA FRANCE!!!!

The battle goes far better than I expected. The French lose about 23 strength points out of the grand total of 130 or so - definitely not light - but the Coalition suffers a complete breakdown.

I selected a "Defend in Depth" strategy; I was thinking that my superiority in cannon and cavalry would suit me better in defense than attack, and if the Coalition forces were stupid enough to charge my cannons, more power to them. That must have been exactly what they did, for by Round 2 they had suffered 28 casualties (if these are only infantry and cavalry, that's about 14,000 men) to my 13 (about 6,500 men).

But the real zinger doesn't hit until Round 3: about eight to ten Austrian units surrender! That ups their casualty count to around 79, almost 40,000 men! My casualties are 31, or about 15,500 total. Not good, but in comparison to what my men inflicted on the Coalition, hey, I'll take it!

Attachments
AAR014.jpg
AAR014.jpg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

I must mention before continuing that I experienced a few problems taking screenshots; the game crashed on me once after I entered a nice long post (figures) and tried to take a screenshot. While this occured, I had the 'chance' to replay this battle many times (three including the above result). The first time, Murat's cavalry had their hindquarters handed to them, with French infantry lagging in the background. The second time, with the same number of men on both sides as in the above battle, the Austrians barely eked out a win over my French forces.

So, the results above were needless to say VERY surpring, especially the bit about making almost ten major Austrian formations surrender! Very satisfying. I'm enjoying this immensely and shall continue tomorrow if work allows (sigh).

Regards all,
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

I shall continue tonight or tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, real life intervened for a brief moment.
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

My near-shattering victory ends up being a seemingly empty one. While my troops under Lannes and Murat manage to come away relatively unscathed, Ney is another matter entirely. Within one turn, Ney 'shatters,' leaving my southern wing torn asunder. No doubt this is due to the lack of preparation on my part. Supply is very important, but I despise having to control it (I don't like micromanagement). So, I let the computer run it by selecting that option from Napoleon's La Grande Armee headquarters. But it's been doing less than an admirable job. Ney's shattering doesn't occur until after a battle that Murat has with Jellacic's infantry and artillery force. Should be interesting.

Attachments
AAR026.jpg
AAR026.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

As you can see below, Murat and Jellacic more or less trade casualties evenly, and the battle is declared a 'draw.' Soon after Ney shatters, but the Austrians quit the field and Murat parades triumphantly into Ulm. The remainder of the Austrians seem to be on the run, and I've already ordered my central wing (Soult's IV Corps) to advance on Augsberg in an attempt to capture/deny supplies to the Austrian army. Perhaps I have dealt it a more mortal blow than I have received. Ney will be missed, but I'll have to see what I can do. I can't let up on the pressure.

Attachments
AAR027.jpg
AAR027.jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

As you can see in the above screen, Beaumont is out of supply. So are a few other divisions. I knew the computer wasn't doing as well as I hoped in keeping up with my troops, but that can't be helped. It DOES help, however, to send supplies ahead to build depots before moving. Of course that can be dangerous as well if an enemy cavalry column comes flying in upon it.

I've send Soult south, meanwhile, to try to get into the rear of the Austrian forces. Unfortunately this will take something like 20 hours to get to him, making a quick Austrian withdrawl a bad thing.

Attachments
AAR028.jpg
AAR028.jpg (34.16 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

Murat and company did indeed take Ulm, but at first I ordered him to stand firm - along with his other divisions. Since the time that it takes for a messenger to reach their headquarters is quite long, I expected them to move forward anyway - which they did. I sent the order anyway to his corps hoping that he wouldn't get into an Austrian trap. Their movements south of the Danube was rather confusing and I wasn't sure if they were moving men *into* Ulm or if that was a nice long line of retreating stragglers making their way to Augsberg.

Attachments
AAR029.jpg
AAR029.jpg (61.47 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

Thankfully it DOES take time to arrive, because it looks like the Austrians were running. Murat took Ulm, but his corps is out of supply, so he won't be pursuing. I could do that, but he may suffer Ney's fate. Besides, a fresh corps under Augereau has just arrived to the north (the VI Corps, if I remember right), so they can help bolster the consolidation of Ulm. I'm also planning on delving a little more into the supply rules to see if I can run things a little more efficiently. For all I know the poor computerized colonel running things is at his wits end.

Attachments
AAR032.jpg
AAR032.jpg (44.17 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

Further north of Davout, Bernadotte's I Corps and Marmont's II Corps is encountering no resistance and I order him to move on to Regensberg. I'm hoping the bulk of the enemy is running from Murat in the south and perhaps I can establish a forward depot in Eckmuhl or thereabouts to act as a base to move in on the Austrian's flank. Of course, it could also be used to block reinforcements, which are undoubtedly coming after word of their staggering loss at Ulm.

Attachments
AAR030.jpg
AAR030.jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Michael Eckenfels

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”