A note from a grumpy SOB about HttR

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

GDS Starfury

A note from a grumpy SOB about HttR

Post by GDS Starfury »

I've been wargaming since the late 70's, I've nitpicked 101 games to death, I still play DOS wargames just because they ARE better, when I like a game it spends over 5 years on my harddrive, I consider myself a grognard and a self rightious - loud mouth - mf'er who'll give anyone a serious fight in any wargame...period. Having said that i must say I'm about as impressed with HttR as I could possibly be. The scale is perfect, the chain of command is great, time delay 'feels' right and unit performance 'feels' right. I spend a lot of time looking for games that 'feel' right. Often its a issue thats beyond the empirical data or the programmers control. That 'feeling' is a rare moment in gamers lives. I could count on both hands the wargames I've played that achieve it. If I was forced to complain, which being me isnt so hard, I'd have to complain that this game engine is being used for a west front battle. If it could only be somewere in Russia I'd give up the firstborn of all the other forum members. [:D]
KNac007

RE: A note from a grumpy SOB about HttR

Post by KNac007 »

It's great to see that you like it.

The game engine, we hope, if it last long enough, will be used for Eastern Front as well in the future. The close you will be to something like that will be with "The Battle of the Bulge" future game in the serie, which is the next title before the Crete expansion (or was it Normandy?).
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

And so it will be.
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

MUAHAHAHAHAHA [:D]

GDS_Starfury is here. Welcome mate!
madmickey

Post by madmickey »

HTTR, Best strategy wargame ever by a wide margin
GDS Starfury

Post by GDS Starfury »

Hi Marcks, its not that I havnt been here its just that I've been quiet.
W Thorne

Post by W Thorne »

Hang around you aint seen nothing yet!
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

GDS Starfury,

Thanks for the feedback. Most appreciated.

As to the Russian front. Well you are talking to someone whose first published wargame was "Trail of Strength" ( a strategic level board wargame covering the entire Russian Front ). So I too would like the opportunity to test out the engine on the Russian steppes. It would shine there, for sure.

Our business approach is to evolve the game engine and to progress from a firm foundation. One of the most time consuming tasks, in terms of data content, is developing the unit estabs. It's not just a question of data input as there has to be sound judgement calls made on various values assigned, for which an intimate knowledge of the game engine is required. We have started with the Western front armies and so it makes better sense to expand and flesh these out fully before heading to the East.

Besides by the time we do so the game engine will include realistic resupply, team play and a campaign feature. So it's going to be well worth waiting for. [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Panther Paul

Post by Panther Paul »

GDS Starfury,

I'm glad you find HTTR a worth while effort [8D]

It's been a long haul to get it to this stage, but we have some (I think) exciting additions to add to the game which will make it even better.

Feel free to grumble about things you think need improving!

We might not do anything about them [;)], but we always listen.
Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd
GDS Starfury

Post by GDS Starfury »

Its great to see such fast responses from the 'authorities'. As Im still new to the game I havnt really dug around inside of it but that will happen soon :) I like your plan to develop the game over a period instead of reacting to the market. Also, dont worry about me grumbling as when I find something youll hear about it hehe
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: madmickey

HTTR, Best strategy wargame ever by a wide margin

I would call it Operational - not Strategic.

I would love the engine ported to a lower level - one man one counter - and then we could call it tactical [:)]
-

Return to “Highway to the Reich”