A Band of Brothers for the Pacific?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

KG Erwin

A Band of Brothers for the Pacific?

Post by KG Erwin »

Somewhat off-topic, but I've seen some blurbs on the web about a BOB-style miniseries being done for the Pacific theater. I'd love to see this project completed, but after watching a documentary about the assault on Peleliu, with much graphic combat footage and first-hand descriptions by the late Eugene Sledge and others, I'm wondering how good of an idea this actually is.

After the first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, how much can a viewing audience stand of unrelenting carnage? Taking Peleliu as an example, this was one of the most violent and miserable battles ever faced by Americans during the 20th Century. The danger of an eight to ten-hour miniseries on the Pacific would be simply to make one's mind numb to the repetitive horror and savage fighting that characterized this war. The producers of this proposed series must be wondering whether they want to induce a "thousand-yard stare" to the viewing public.

The US Marines of WWII deserve a tribute a la "Band of Brothers", but one must be very careful about how actually to present it. Any thoughts on this?

PS My idea would be to portray the career of one of the Raider Battalions, and follow them until their disbandment and folding into the newly-recreated 4th Marines in 1944. This would be followed by the 4th's landing as part of the occupation force in Japan, and perhaps even to their deployment to China in 1946.
Belisarius

RE: A Band of Brothers for the Pacific?

Post by Belisarius »

It's a thin line to walk. On one hand, you don't want to gross the audience out by frolicking in graphic detail. On the other hand, making it too "clean" will probably not have the same effect as to show the severity of combat.

For me personally, I'd say that Privat-Ryan or BoB level of gore is alright. Not too much usually, but at times really nasty to show just how bad it can be. (like BoB episode 6 and all those artillery casualties)

I'm kinda squeamish actually, so I'm watching "Trauma - Life in the ER" on Discovery as "therapy". And actually learn something while doing it. [:'(]
Got StuG?
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

To the Marines' credit, I will say that ths USMC public relations branch is usually willing to give their expertise in matters relating to Marine history. The Marines have also taken grat care to get combat cameramen and film-makers into the front lines. This is as much for combat lessons as it is for posterity.

What's strange about this is the lack of quality motion pictures depicting the real life of a WWII Marine. "Windtalkers" was cartoonish comic-book crap, and "The Thin Red Line" turned into a film-school artsy-fartsy bit of impressionism. "Sands of Iwo Jima" was an exercise in flag-waving hokum. The best is "Halls of Montezuma", but that was over 50 years ago.
John David

Post by John David »

KG,

I can see why you are a moderator here. It seems like once or twice a week, you give us topics to really dig our teeth into!

I think the secret for an outstanding "Docu-Drama", a la Band Of Brothers or From The Earth To The Moon (No coincidence that Tom Hanks was involved in both, man what a talent!), is to blend the right amount of hard hitting reality, with good character development and insight into the personalities involved. Add to that a good dose of touching emotion and humor with a sense of living history, and you've got a chance at something special.

The key is in who is at the head of the project. The Producers! They hire the writers, directors and the casting people. They guide the whole project and inject the commitment and enthusiasm to get the job done and to do it right. Even tough he was the director, Peter Jackson falls into this category as well, for The Lord Of The Rings was done as well as anything could possibly have been!

A Pacific BOB would definitely have me glued to the TV. As long as the people chosen to do it are up to the challenge, we can be privileged to receive something that moves and educates us all!

The vets of that theatre deserve nothing less.[&o][&o]

JD
The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

I would like to see a video tribute done, but I am not sure a specific team of marines could be able to pull it off.

As has already been pointed out, in the Pacific, men died in bushel baskets in horrifying speed. Would it even be possible to find a "band of brothers" that remained intact?

We might have to instead find survivors from the various battles, and collectively tell their stories. And in doing so, they would still be a "band of brothers" per se. Because the would have all shared the ordeal that was the fighting in the Pacific.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Panzer Capta

Post by Panzer Capta »

By any chance was this documentary entitled, "The Bloody Hills of Peleliu"? If so, i have seen it, and brutal would not even be an appropriate description of it.

Panzer Captain
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Yes, Panzer Captain , this is the documentary I referred to. I taped it, and it is now in my Pacific War video collection. Historical note: there is much actual Peleliu footage in this, but this documentary also incorporated much earlier films of Tarawa and elsewhere.
Nevertheless, this is one of the best USMC documentaries in existence.

PS Guys, please excuse me for my admiration of the USMC. To me, they epitomize the toughness and determination of the US military. Every branch of the United States Armed Forces is a highly-trained group, but the Marines have an esprit that have always set them apart. They have been and will always be my favorite American ground troops.
RayM

Post by RayM »

In addition to Tom Hank's name, I've heard that Spielberg will be involved too.

As with others, I wonder how they could cover both the South Pacific prong and the Central Pacific prong of our advance across the Pacific. Hopefully they will follow the general timeline (1942-mid-1943: South Pacific, late 1943-1945: Central Pacific). And what do they do about the Carrier War and Submarine aspects of the Pacific campaign? Very important to the telling...but.....

One source would be to use the USMC campaign books as guides, (I own the Battery Press reprints). But then different units are involved...so your BoB concept starts to fall apart....unless they focus on one division. The First would be an obviously choice. Still, other Divisions have just as great unit histories.

Interesting problem in any case...can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ray
Panzer Capta

Post by Panzer Capta »

I thought this may have been the documentary you were making reference to. I agree with you entirely, this is perhaps the best i have ever seen with respect to the war with Japan. I have never seen a documentary more profoundly brutal....it makes you stop and think about what the soldiers from both sides had to go through........i dont know how they went through a horror of such magnitude, and if they survived, maintained any type of sanity in their respective lives. Interestingly, i had a great uncle...my dads uncle.... who lost one arm at Peleliu. If you are interested, one of the best books i have read on that particular battle is "The Devil's Anvil" by James Hallas....highly recommended.

Panzer Captain
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Gosh, how I hope it happens! Either as KG suggests, a Raider unit, or even units of the 1st Marine Division, would be great!

WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
bob55

Post by bob55 »

Thank you for the devoted words regarding the US Marines! It's part of our nature, and it is ingrained in us from the moment we step on the yellow footprints. There is no such thing (with a very few exceptions) as an "EX" Marine, we're all "FORMER" Marines. Even in my Seabee reserve unit it's not uncommon to hear "with all you ex-Jarheads joining, I suppose you're going to start your own platoon" and comments much the same.

As for the game, it would be very tough to find a group that went through the war together due to attrition. I think the best (only) option would be to follow a platoon or company through the Pacific, thus allowing for casualties and rotations.
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

ORIGINAL: RayM

In addition to Tom Hank's name, I've heard that Spielberg will be involved too.

That is correct. The working title is "Untitled World War II Pacific Theater Project". According to imdb.com, Playtone and Dreamworks SKG will produce the series, and that will say Hanks + Spielberg.[:)] According to the site, HBO are distributors, so it's the same constellation as for BoB.

Bruce McKenna is credited for writing, he also wrote episodes 4,6 and 8 for BoB.
Got StuG?
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

If Bruce McKenna is heading up the writing team, then I feel good about this. He will present this story as individual soldiers experienced it. I would present an even more novel idea--each epsisode focuses on a different individual involved in this war. The possibilities are endless.
Major_Johnson

Post by Major_Johnson »

Personally I'm all for it!! And they shouldn't hold back on the graphic detail. In my opinion it's important to portray the horrors of war as realistically as possible so that our younger generation can appreciate what our brave soldiers did for them way before they were even born, and what the soldiers of today are doing to continue to preserve our way of life, which sadly enough is all too often taken for granted. I think that's been lost over the years. Does anyone know what channel that documentary was on?? And if it'll be on again?? Thanks!
M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Major_Johnson

Personally I'm all for it!! And they shouldn't hold back on the graphic detail. In my opinion it's important to portray the horrors of war as realistically as possible so that our younger generation can appreciate what our brave soldiers did for them way before they were even born, and what the soldiers of today are doing to continue to preserve our way of life, which sadly enough is all too often taken for granted. I think that's been lost over the years. Does anyone know what channel that documentary was on?? And if it'll be on again?? Thanks!

Sorry, MJ, I didn't see any upcoming listings for "The Bloody Hills of Peleliu", but History International does have the VHS of this. See this link: http://store.aetv.com/html/cat_prod_lis ... &subcatid=

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”