carrier squadrons if the carrier is sunk

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

sven6345789

carrier squadrons if the carrier is sunk

Post by sven6345789 »

What happens to CV-Squadrons if their parent CV has been sunk? if deployed on a land base, do they just remain there (after all, there is nothing left they can recombine with)?
What if CV-squadrons redeploy to another carrier and you send that CV back to Pearl or Japan? Are they still on board when the CV comes back?
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
jcjordan

RE: carrier squadrons if the carrier is sunk

Post by jcjordan »

If in range of a land base or another carrier, they will land there. If a land base or transferred there from a carrier that they landed on they will become land based units & I think still get replacements as well as regroup over time back into one unit. As to if you send them back to Pearl on a carrier, will they come back, I've never been in that situation so can't say. Most of the time when I've lost a carrier, I've just kept it a land based unit from then on.
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Suppose you're getting ready to send an Aircraft Carrier back to PH. Can you deploy the carrier's planes to a base, send the carrier back, and get a whole new set of planes when the carrier comes back above and beyond the ones I transferred to base?
CMDRMCTOAST

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

Personally I transfer the planes to a base as they are more useful to me
in the theater with or without the carriers.
You will not recieve new planes on the carrier it will come back empty.
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
sven6345789

Post by sven6345789 »

since you keep the planes anyhow (they stay in the theater, only the pilots travel back to pearl, check the plane replacement when sending a carrier back), you might as well leave the squadrons on the carrier. For the Japanese, for example, this means that the Claude unit present at Rabaul at start will almost immediately upgrade to Zeros.
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
CMDRMCTOAST

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

If you transfer the air squadron to a base and send the carrier back
to pearl you get replacement pilots and planes and can use them in combat
One thing I do is rotate fatigued squadrons from carriers to bases and such
also I try to combine carrier attacks with land based carrier planes from
sunk carriers.
If the carrier is sunk no sense wasting those full squadrons for replacement
pools unless the parent squadron is killed with the carrier then they won't get replacements and I will withdraw or disband the air group.
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Suppose you're getting ready to send an Aircraft Carrier back to PH. Can you deploy the carrier's planes to a base, send the carrier back, and get a whole new set of planes when the carrier comes back above and beyond the ones I transferred to base?

You will not receive new squadrons, planes or pilots when the carrier returns from Pearl. You'll have to transfer a land-based air group back on board, preferably the original CAG you had deployed to a base.
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

When you transfer US CV groups to land bases make sure they are repaired first. If you don't there is a bug that creates a phantom unit on the CV that hogs the air unit allocation slot. It takes a long time sitting in port to make it go away.
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

ORIGINAL: Halsey

When you transfer US CV groups to land bases make sure they are repaired first. If you don't there is a bug that creates a phantom unit on the CV that hogs the air unit allocation slot. It takes a long time sitting in port to make it go away.

Does this bug work the same way if I xfer LBA from one base to another land base?

IF I xfer 12 ready B17's from Brisbane to Cooktown, and there is 1 "damaged" B17 left in Brisbane, will the damaged B17 hog the air unit allocation slot?
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

LBA will repair and follow the parent unit within transfer range. The phantom units seem to only happen on US CV's. There doesn't appear to be any total amount of LBA that you can have at a base. Remember, aircraft quanities over the bases support causes severe penalties on them. CV's are only allowed a certain number. I believe it is 4 on the large US CV's. I like to transfer TBD's to Efate or Moresby, then replace that carrier airwing with VMF's or VMB's that arrive at Noumea. That puts more fighters in the TF, and increases the TF's strike range to 9 hexes carrying 500lbs bombs on the SBD's.
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

One thing to keep in mind is the the VFs (Wildcat squadrons) will change to 24 plane squadrons over time if transferred to LBA. Not a problem in the short run, but over time can be a small problem.

Can present a problem with reuniting the squdron with its CV when it gets back from PH.

As the allies, there is no real need to tinker too much with the airgroups, but that is a much different story as the IJN to keep trained and redy air wings availavble.

US air wings and CV capacity's (other then the Wasp) are consistent and easy to deal with. The IJN is a management nightmare.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”