Korsun Pocket AAR: Last Stand

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises
Herr Colonel

Korsun Pocket AAR: Last Stand

Post by Herr Colonel »

The situation seems hopeless. German troops are locked within an iron ring near the Dnepr River, which once flowed deep inside the shattered land that the Germans occupied. Now, the conquerors were clinging by fingernails to a small hedgehog miles away from it. Exhausted troops, their minds on their comrade's fate at Stalingrad, fear the worst.

But the German commander refuses to give up. All previous attempts to break through the twisted ring of Soviet military might failed miserably. Defying Hitler might mean death, but this commander was determined to not leave his men to face a fate similar to that of the Sixth Army.

Only a bold move will carry the day here. A determined effort from the southern edge of the pocket, coinciding with a strong attack from the German lines south of there, is the only thing that can save them now. Remaining in place spells certain doom for the Germans within the pocket; as food, ammunition, and time run out, so too do the number of lives within it.

My plan was this: strike very hard to the south from the pocket using the depleted 5th SS Panzer Division 'Wiking' as the spearhead. I called the 72nd Infantry Division south from the northern edge of the pocket. This left my northern flank perilously open. However, this cannot be avoided. For one, the Soviets have few troops in the area. For another, any chance of blowing a hole in the enemy's lines is going to ride on having an overwhelming force.

The 5th SS and 72nd Infantry are supported by most of the artillery in the pocket, the remnants of three corps' worth of German steel. Unleashing a torrent of fire from the heavens, the ground shook beneath the onslaught as precious German rounds tore into Soviet defenses, vehicles, and flesh. The 5th SS and 72nd brought their full weight against a hapless rifle regiment from the 180th Rifle Division, which evaporated under the sudden and unexpected onslaught.

Panzer Division Wallonien pried itself from the eastern edge of the pocket, passing across a bridge near the German's 8th Army HQ depot; as the last tank crossed, German engineers blew the structure, which wailed with horribly twisted steel as it fell into the dank, cold river below. No Soviet would be crossing there for some time, but come they would. Speed was of the essence. Wallonien brought itself to the left flank of the 72nd Infantry (Wiking was to the 72nd's right) in order to engage the 5th Guards Airborne Division. This, combined with the 180th Rifle, composed the only two formations blocking the southern edge of the pocket. However, the Germans knew Soviet reinforcements were lurking somewhere in the middle, awaiting developments from either front. Only a successful attack from the south would stretch the Soviets thin enough to effect not just a linkup, but the rescue of thousands of Reich soldiers.

In the south, several understrength Panzer divisions concentrate on the 3rd Guards Airborne Division. In the path of the 16th Panzer and 198th Infantry Divisions is the 10th Guards Airborne Regiment, which melts under the assault and disappears into the wilderness. The 359th Rifle Division, on its right, suffers a similar attack from the 1st Panzer Division as well as numerous independent supporting units. Two rifle regiments, the 1194th and 1196th, suffer heavy losses.

The Russians seem stymied by my approach. Sensing blood, several Russian units start to pull away from the southwestern portion of the pocket and move to the now-open northern edge. Of course, this will take them some time, which is what I am counting on. Several Soviet reinforcing divisions appear, pouring like a tide north out of the city of Olshana, but they reinforce the southeastern portion of the pocket. Two German infantry divisions hold the line there, and one faces a bitter Soviet onslaught and gives ground grudgingly.

Surprisingly, the 5th Guards Airborne moves slightly west of the line, as if inviting me to pour Germans through the gap. I have little choice, although I can see a counterattack when it's coming. The Soviets are likely planning on hitting me when I'm strung out across the muddy, freezing steppe. German units are best when they are bunched together; they are a hard nut to crack and are very tough on offense. However, they are also best used in a mobile fashion. Be where the enemy is not to assure survival; that is the maxim of this day.

The Russians do little to counter my attack in the south, except by coming after Sepp Dietrich's 'Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler' Panzer division, inflicting losses but not retreat. This stalwart division holds the left flank of my attempted relief from the south.

The first turn has gone well, but is too limited in scope for my taste. Only three attacks are made, all with overwhelming power and therefore with complete victory. However, the Soviets have much more in store for me, commanding the Germans. I can only hope that mobility and superior firepower will bring the trapped German troops to the rescue, hopefully mauling a Soviet front in the process.

The image below shows the situation at the end of Turn 1.

Attachments
AAR002.jpg
AAR002.jpg (110.53 KiB) Viewed 454 times
Michael Eckenfels
Matrix Games Writer/Editor
John David

RE: Korsun Pocket AAR: Last Stand

Post by John David »

Thanks for this AAR!

I really enjoy reading these, and the added graphic is great too!

Keep it up!

JD
The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

Herr Colonel

KP: Last Stand: Turn 2

Post by Herr Colonel »

Most interesting. My Russian opponent looks as if he is giving way between the pocket and the German lines. I am intrigued and fully expecting a trap. My scouts and intelligence reported a lot of Russian movement to the southeast of the pocket, causing me concern. Only two thin infantry divisions exist there to hold the flank of the trapped army. If they fold, the artillery and headquarters units will quickly be destroyed. Speed is our only option.

From the south, the 17th Panzer Division leads the charge towards the pocket but is almost immediately stymied by the blocking 359th Rifle Division. Inexplicably the Russians pull back. The bridge there is still intact (see red circle in image below), so there is a chance to secure it. I expect heavy losses from the 17th in payment but its seizure is essential to mobility.

The 17th's left flank is cause for concern. I noted the arrival of the 5th Mechanized Corps, and all there is to oppose it is a battalion of StuG's and a motorized assault regiment. The efforts of the 1st SS Panzer Division farther on the left to hold down numerous Soviet units is working, but at a high cost. As long as the 1st SS can pin down these Soviets, the pressure on the left flank of the relief attempt should be minimal. We shall see.

Otherwise the 1st and 16th Panzer Divisions lead the attack on the right shoulder of the pocket, assaulting the 2nd and 3rd Guards Airborne Divisions. Both are comprised of elite soldiers and there are seemingly endless replacements. Both assaults have mixed results but the 5th Guards Airborne Regiment from the 3rd Guards Airborne Division is forced to give ground. The 2nd holds its own, though, against repeated attempts by 1st Panzer to dislodge them from their defensive positions.

Immediately to the 1st Panzer's right is the 24th Panzer Division, moving to either support the breakthrough attempt or blunt any Soviet efforts in the area. Intelligence noted a buildup near Zvenigerodka, but it quickly evaporated. My opponent's efforts are confounding as they are invisible.

In the pocket, the two infantry divisions are suddenly faced with the wrath of several Russian divisions. Both give ground grudgingly, but give the Soviets bloody noses. Both attacks elicit a loss of 2 steps to the attacker...lucky rolls on the German's part.

Meanwhile, the 5th SS Panzer Division 'Wiking' and the 8th Panzer Division continue a slow movement to the southwest, faced with a thick mud that greedily sucks at their vehicle's tracks and infantry's boots. Only a small amount of progress is made, but the Soviets are in similar straits; only the 135th Rifle Division is noted in the area, and they will have to be dealt with to allow the body of the 8th Army to move through.

The east side of the pocket is facing heavy attacks, but the west side is very quiet. My opponent has made no effort there but Soviet units lurk just on the visible horizon, as if daring my soldiers there to move. They will have to eventually to support the breakout effort. The artillery and supply components of the trapped army is moving in the wake of the Panzer and supporting infantry divisions, providing a powerful nucleus to counter enemy attacks or support our attempt at relief.

Things look good at this point; I am beginning to believe the trapped soldiers may actually make it out. Only two Soviet formations, albeit major ones, exist on the direct path from the pocket to the German's lines. Most everything rides at this point on two things: the Soviet efforts on the eastern side of the pocket (if they break through there, the trapped army will likely be destroyed) and the western shoulder of the southern relief attempt (the 1st SS Panzer Division's losses have been horrendous but they have not been eliminated; they need to have priority for replacements in the coming 3rd turn).

Here is the situation at the end of the 2nd turn:

Attachments
AAR004.jpg
AAR004.jpg (107.29 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

RE: KP: Last Stand: Turn 2

Post by Herr Colonel »

Oops, my apologies. Forgot to put the red circle in the picture.

And BTW, thanks, John David!

Attachments
AAR004a.jpg
AAR004a.jpg (107.14 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Michael Eckenfels
Herr Colonel

KP: Last Stand: Turn 3

Post by Herr Colonel »

This damned thaw will be the death of us! Otherwise I am certain the link up would have been made by now. The Soviets continue to play it safe, lightly engaging the 1st SS Panzer Division and causing one of its regiments to retreat (but causing no losses, thankfully).

Taking a gamble, I replace all losses for the 11th Panzer Division (circled below in red) and have a construction battalion fix the bridge in the area. They are now poised to deliver a shock to the 5th Tank Army, covering this part of the front. Unfortunately they give me a surprise and take the opportunity to lunge at another construction battalion in the area, one I foolishly left in the open. They immediately withered under the Communist assault, and the attackers disappeared back into their lines. Damn them and myself anyway, those were excellent engineers.

The 13th Panzer (circled in blue below) is much the worse for wear than the 11th; most of its regiments are at 50% strength, but they are probing the positions of two rifle divisions east of the 11th Panzer. Since all the bridges are blown around here, and the river is very wide, there is no danger of engagement. However, one never knows when one's opponent will throw an engineer into a Bridge hex and rebuild it, followed by pouring reinforcements across. A bridge lies just southwest of the 13th Panzer, and I'm trying to guard against the possibility that there are no Soviet engineers in the area.

Meanwhile, my relief forces to the west have nearly surrounded the 2nd and 3rd Guards Airborne Divisions, both of which have suffered heavily in delaying my attack. The Russians used the time wisely to build a defense across the assaulting Panzer Division's front (division is circled in yellow) but react rather quickly to my attempt at surrounding their two elite Airborne divisions to the south; most of the regiments of the 340th Rifle Division move to guard against the pincer movement, while the battered remnants of both Airborne divisions try to extracate themselves. One regiment of the 3rd Guards remains behind, obviously sacrificing itself to gain more time for their comrades to the north. A foolish waste of manpower.

To the north, the two Panzer divisions leading the breakout to the south discover that the Soviet forces in the area is the 136th and 180th Rifle Divisions. I have a StuG battalion and an infantry division hurrying to their support and will hopefully reduce them quickly. The Wiking Panzer division moves slightly west to cover that route from the encroachments of the 337th and 159th Rifle Divisions.

In the pocket, I moved my precious engineer battalion (after having demolished on the previous turn a bridge on the eastern side of the pocket) to rebuild a bridge in the area; I only realize now that without this bridge the formations north of it (two infantry divisions plus a few smaller independent units) will not be able to extracate themselves in that direction. Hopefully the engineers will succeed and allow these units to escape, then blow the bridge behind them so advancing Russians will not easily engage them.

Fortunately the Soviets continue their buildup to the east of the pocket. I've retreated the northernmost of the two infantry divisions recently and suffered an attack at their hands, which bloodied them as much as me (1 loss each). Panzer Division 'Wallonien' at the southern edge of this eastern defense crushed a regiment of the 5th Guards Airborne, opening the southern flank further.

While the screenshot below looks as if things are going well, I fear unseen Soviet units, and also wonder what my opponent's intentions are. Either that or I am conducting an orderly retreat so far, and perhaps am taking advantage of their lack of aggression. Perhaps the Soviets want us to retreat and take the ground without suffering the bloody losses they have thus far, still drunk from their bretheren's victories around Stalingrad and not willing to take chances now. Who knows. Regardless I plan on taking as many opportunities as I can to save these crack German troops.

Below is the situation at the end of Turn 3:

Attachments
AAR005a.jpg
AAR005a.jpg (107.81 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Michael Eckenfels
John David

Post by John David »

ORIGINAL: Herr Colonel

Oops, my apologies. Forgot to put the red circle in the picture.

And BTW, thanks, John David!

Thank you again Herr Colonel!

I trully enjoy it.[8D]

JD

Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

Not that I'm terribly anal, but I've been referring to 'Wallonien' as a Panzer division when in fact it was only a 'Sturm brigade' at the time. It was not reformed as the 28th SS Panzergrenadier Division until well after the events in the Pocket. My apologies to any purists (of which I am one at times). ;)

I shall continue in a day or so. Thanks!
Michael Eckenfels
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

Not that I'm terribly anal, but I've been referring to 'Wallonien' as a Panzer division when in fact it was only a 'Sturm brigade' at the time. It was not reformed as the 28th SS Panzergrenadier Division until well after the events in the Pocket. My apologies to any purists (of which I am one at times). ;)

We need more info! Excellent AAR, keep it coming
John David

Post by John David »

I think your leave is about up, eh Herr Colonel![;)]
Back to the front my friend.

JD

Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

Yes I have been called away to some minor fracas in Italy involving Il Duce and some rescue thing. Details are highly top secret and may not be shared. ;)

Anyway, sorry for my absence, real life has intervened with me for the last few weeks - I am getting back to this tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for understanding...
Michael Eckenfels
John David

Post by John David »

Looking forward to it my friend.

Yea, real life has a way of getting in the way of the important things!

BTW, Slap Il Duce for me will you.[;)]

JD

Herr Colonel

Post by Herr Colonel »

>SIGH<

This is terrible. I've tried everything I can think of but nothing is helping. My save game files have all corrupted; now the only thing I can do is load a game from Across the Dnepr, one that I played shortly after purchasing this product.

This really ticks me off, as I really wanted to finish it. But nothing can be done at this point. My apologies to anyone who remotely enjoyed this thread. I will re-do another one because I love this game and AAR's. If anyone has a particular scenario they'd like to see let me know!

Again, my apologies.
Michael Eckenfels
John David

Post by John David »

Nothing to apologize for Colonel.
Aren't computers grand![:@]

It happens all the time, to all of us.

Look forward to any AAR you produce!

Thanks again for your previous posts!

JD

Return to “After Action Reports”