Campaigns On the Danube Released

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
David Heath

Campaigns On the Danube Released

Post by David Heath »

Matrix Games and Adanac Command Studies are pleased to announce the imminent release of a new Army-Level Napoleonic Wargame, Campaigns on the Danube 1805 & 1809.

Years in the making by Designer and Developer Frank Hunter, Campaigns on the Danube is a unique simulation of Napoleonic-era command.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said, "We believe the Napoleonic era needs more good computer wargames on an operational and strategic scale. Frank Hunter has met that challenge with this excellent treatment of Napoleon’s battles along the Danube in 1805 and 1809.”

In April of 1809, Austria took advantage of French preoccupation with Portugal by attacking Napoleon's German ally, Bavaria. The Austrians quickly pushed aside French resistance in the region, until Napoleon himself arrived on the field. Taking immediate action, he threw his troops across the Danube and struck at a surprised Austrian foe, cutting it in two. Poor weather combined with a torrential river caused a large portion of France's army to be caught on the wrong side of the river as revitalized Austrian troops hit them hard. Eventually Napoleon managed to extract his men from the danger, but not after having suffered nearly 21,000 casualties to the Austrian's 23,000.

While the myth of French invincibility had been credibly destroyed, not two days later Napoleon crushed the Austrians at Wagram, inflicting 40,000 casualties and forcing Austria to sue for peace and join his vaunted Continental System.

This battle was by no means a foregone conclusion; the French could have easily handled the Austrians had the fateful river crossing not conspired against them, and the Austrians could just as well have held against The Little Corporal and dealt the French a stunning defeat. Now, with Campaigns on the Danube 1805 & 1809, players may indulge in one of seven scenarios that focus on the region's conflicts, including battles fought there in 1805.

Frank Hunter of Adanac Command Studies added, “Campaigns on the Danube is a game that has received a lot of design work, playtesting and attention. The most recent cooperation with Matrix Games has really helped to polish this title and I hope Napoleonic wargamers everywhere will enjoy this simulation of the historical challenges of command.”

In Campaigns on the Danube, players command historic, powerful armies as they face off against each other in a clash that would be destined to defeat Austria but prove for a brief time that Napoleon could indeed be stopped. Players will be able to take command of the French forces under Napoleon or Austrians under Charles and strike at each other over a large hex-based map. Cavalry, infantry, artillery, engineers, leaders, supply wagons, depots, and other counters may be maneuvered for maximum military effect, while the flexible combat system may be used either through the game system itself or through miniatures play.

One of the features of this game system involves the player’s role; as overall commander of a side, the player issues orders to their corps commanders, who in turn issue orders to the maneuver elements. All of this takes time, and sometimes (due to enemy action, accident, or getting lost), these orders never arrive! Long-range planning and strategic thinking are required to keep a large army on the move, well-supplied, and eager for victory.

For any connoisseur of Napoleonic gaming, Campaigns on the Danube 1805 & 1809 is a fascinating and fast-paced game that is bound to provide countless hours of surprises and conquest.

Game Features:

Map covers central Europe from Ulm in the west to Olmutz in the northeast
Maneuver elements consist of divisions and brigades
Realistic command delays, orders send to subordinates may be lost
Realistic army supply rules
AI can play either side (French or Austrians)
PBEM capability
Ability to fight battles using miniatures
Seven scenarios covering 1805 and 1809

For more information, visit the website at http://www.matrixgames.com/games/campaignsonthedanube/ or check the main Matrix Games page at http://www.matrixgames.com.
Malagant

RE: Campaigns On the Danube Released

Post by Malagant »

Tease!
Matrix Games and Adanac Command Studies are pleased to announce the imminent release of a new Army-Level Napoleonic Wargame, Campaigns on the Danube 1805 & 1809.

I can't find it actually for sale on the site anywhere yet.

Edge of my seat!! [:D]
"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
Le Tondu

Post by Le Tondu »

ORIGINAL: Malagant

Tease!

I can't find it actually for sale on the site anywhere yet.

Edge of my seat!! [:D]

Oddly enough, you're right.

Hey David. How about a direct link. That sure would be helpful.
Vive l'Empereur!
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

This game is stealthier than one of Napoleons marches.
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

Well, go to the E-Store, click your flag and click on "All Games" categorie (for example) [;)] it´s the second from top.
Fallschirmjager

How dare you put it under something usefull say...Napoleonics? [;)]
Fallschirmjager

It was NOT there when I looked around 1 pm today

Marc, always out to pull a fast one on use
Sneaky Germans [;)]
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

We are just waiting for our store people to make it live. They did say they would get done today. As soon as I have it link I will post it here.

David
Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: David Heath

We are just waiting for our store people to make it live. They did say they would get done today. As soon as I have it link I will post it here.

David

I am downloading the game as I type this

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”