Status?

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

mbatch729

Status?

Post by mbatch729 »

Hi Frank,

How's this one coming along? Prior to losing part of the forum, you mentioned that playtesting was well under way. Any surprises or significant changes from what's on the Adanac page? Haven't seen an official Matrix site yet, so thought I'd ask.
Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa
mbatch729

RE: Status?

Post by mbatch729 »

Shameless <BUMP>. Or anyone connected w/Matrix?
Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

A really really shameless bump ! Any news on this?????

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Kung Karl

Post by Kung Karl »

I agree! They could at least say that they have no news or that they won't tell us. Ignoring a thread like they are doing is not fair.
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

according to the website this game is in its 15th round of playtesting-i don't know how much testing they do but i believe the campaigns on the danube will release before the great war will.
"the willow branch but bends beneath the snow"
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hi Guys

Frank has it in playtesting and we are working on the graphics. Not much more to say at this time.

David
mbatch729

Post by mbatch729 »

Thanks David. I think everyone has the idea all WWI was about was trench warfare, but the beginning of the war and other fronts were much more fluid. This game, IMHO, has great potential to create a better understanding of the nature of WWI one. The "design specs" sound excellent.
Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa
Baleeted

Post by Baleeted »

Wow, not very often you find a WWI based strategy game. [:)] Well, not very often you find a WWI game of any genre I guess. [:D]

I look forward to seeing this one!
http://www.maxar.net/glopol/ - Global Politics - an internet-game of International Relations - check it out!
Greyshaft

Revisiting WWI

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: mbatch729
I think everyone has the idea all WWI was about was trench warfare, but the beginning of the war and other fronts were much more fluid.

Playing GMTGames "Paths of Glory" showed me that WWI was a lot more than trenches and footrot. It was certainly a lot more interesting (and playable) than AH "Guns of August". I'm watching this one but not committed to buying it yet. Lets see a few screenshots before I choose [:)]
/Greyshaft
Drex

RE: Revisiting WWI

Post by Drex »

I wonder if the conflict in the Middle East and Africa will be represented. the Germans were never really defeated in Africa.
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
Bis

Post by Bis »

I think the scale of the fighting in East Africa would be too small. Great idea for a game though.

Jim Cobb
Jim Cobb
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

ORIGINAL: Drex

I wonder if the conflict in the Middle East and Africa will be represented. the Germans were never really defeated in Africa.

Were they defeated (militarily) anywhere?
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
GWL_Tim

Post by GWL_Tim »

Yes in Samoa by the Aussies. [;)]
IronDuke_slith

Post by IronDuke_slith »

ORIGINAL: Major Destruction

The Germans were finished in Europe after their Spring offensives of 1918 were brought to a halt, and were subsequently rolled back to what was known as the Hindenburg line and beyond by Allied troops. The pace of Allied offensive action in WWI was such that defeat came as a slow pushing back rather than some easy to recognise battle of annihilation, but defeat it was as Allied strategy and tactics became more sophisticated. Allied troops never garrisoned much of Germany (bar the Rhineland) because of the armistice, but it was a myth that the German Army was undefeated in the field. In this myth lay the seeds of a lot of future problems. Germans troops returned feted as conquering heroes, and then everyone wondered how such harsh terms as Versailles could be offered to a side that had managed a "draw". Since Germany was largely not garrisoned nor the German army put into POW camps, the trappings of defeat were never in evidence to the public and so the hatred of Versaille began. The armistice came, though, because the German army was on the verge of collapse. Ludendorff offered his resignation as he realised what was about to happen, he was in no doubt.

Regards,
IronDuke
GWL_Tim

Post by GWL_Tim »

Also if we are talking about single battles I would say Battle of Amiens 8th August 1918 (Black day for the German Army), First and Second Marne, Messines to start with. You could also argue Le Cateau, Battle of Arras, initial stages of Cambrai.
I'm sure there are others. Those were just off the top of my head...People tend to think WW1 was made up of three battles - Verdun, Somme, Ypres [8|]
Norden_slith

Post by Norden_slith »

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

The Germans were finished in Europe after their Spring offensives of 1918 were brought to a halt, and were subsequently rolled back to what was known as the Hindenburg line and beyond by Allied troops. The pace of Allied offensive action in WWI was such that defeat came as a slow pushing back rather than some easy to recognise battle of annihilation, but defeat it was as Allied strategy and tactics became more sophisticated. Allied troops never garrisoned much of Germany (bar the Rhineland) because of the armistice, but it was a myth that the German Army was undefeated in the field. In this myth lay the seeds of a lot of future problems. Germans troops returned feted as conquering heroes, and then everyone wondered how such harsh terms as Versailles could be offered to a side that had managed a "draw". Since Germany was largely not garrisoned nor the German army put into POW camps, the trappings of defeat were never in evidence to the public and so the hatred of Versaille began. The armistice came, though, because the German army was on the verge of collapse. Ludendorff offered his resignation as he realised what was about to happen, he was in no doubt.

Regards,
IronDuke

This is the best "short version - Big picture" I have read so far! But the internal turmoil in Germany should be mentioned, it is called the German revolution after all, starting with the sailors of the Highsea Fleet refusing to sail out and spreading like a wildfire. Hence the myth you are referring to - "the backstab myth" the german army defeated from behind... Germany was a mess and couldn't have continued the fighting at all which made the victory "unconditional" in reality...

Norden
Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged
AbsntMndedProf

Post by AbsntMndedProf »

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

Regards,
IronDuke

Another underappreciated factor in the end of WW I was the Spanish Flu, which had begun to decemate armies on both sides of the Western front. The conditions that troops lived in contributed to their being suseptible to catching and spreading the flu. Where the Allies could count on untold streams of fresh troops from the New World, Germany stood alone, having thrown her last reinforcements at the allies in the 1918 offensive. Just a point of interest.

Eric Maietta

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”