About pz IV-c's

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

BulletMagnet

About pz IV-c's

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hey guys
I always thought this tank and others in the series had a short barrelled gun for use against infantry,hence infantry support tank.Howver i just was playing a long camp as germans in 39 and due to a deperate situation i had to start shooting at long ranges(15-25) hexes.To my surprise i hit roughly 50 percent of the time stationary and 25 percent moving while firing.Anyone else see this?
"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"
Rune Iversen

RE: About pz IV-c's

Post by Rune Iversen »

ORIGINAL: BulletMagnet

Hey guys
I always thought this tank and others in the series had a short barrelled gun for use against infantry,hence infantry support tank.Howver i just was playing a long camp as germans in 39 and due to a deperate situation i had to start shooting at long ranges(15-25) hexes.To my surprise i hit roughly 50 percent of the time stationary and 25 percent moving while firing.Anyone else see this?

Which set of OOBs were you using?
Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within
harlekwin

Post by harlekwin »

Hey guys

Perhaps you could post its stats as a favor?
$ociali$m-from those who will to those who won't.....
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Your favorite version 8.1.0.0.0.0.0.1

Im not sure how to post the stats for it?savvy.Do know that its aweful funny to be plinking with infantry tanks though.Kats are bad enough dont need early war tanks acting like em too.BTW im a KAT driver!!!and a goblin disciple.[:D]
Rune Iversen

Post by Rune Iversen »

Im not sure how to post the stats for it?savvy.Do know that its aweful funny to be plinking with infantry tanks though.Kats are bad enough dont need early war tanks acting like em too.BTW im a KAT driver!!!and a goblin disciple.[:D]
Post the stats for the maingun, Rangefinder, Firecontrol and Targeting.

Then we can give you some answers
Ignoring the wulfir
harlekwin

Post by harlekwin »

Don't worry we will post them and analyze what the ratings mean using the manual as a good tutorial and a comparison to later post-ww2 tanks as a base.

Thanks for the question.

regards,
sven
Voriax

Post by Voriax »

Why should an 'infantry tank' have less accurate gun than an 'anti tank' tank? 15 hexes isn't that long, 750 metres.
The weapon accuracy is actually less than for example German 37mm tank gun.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
VikingNo2

Post by VikingNo2 »

The Pz-IVc/d has a 4/4 or a 4/5 I believe ands with early war armor being weak in general. I could see it being a real killer especially on anything British not named matilda. The sad fact is many gamers never use support tanks (other than Stugs ) so they don't know that they are pretty good tanks. The scott is a good example. Especially if the support tanks have heat rounds[;)]
harlekwin

Post by harlekwin »

ORIGINAL: Voriax

Why should an 'infantry tank' have less accurate gun than an 'anti tank' tank? 15 hexes isn't that long, 750 metres.
The weapon accuracy is actually less than for example German 37mm tank gun.

Voriax

Vor I think he was merely a little bewildered at his effectiveness.

I am going to look into the ratings and translate the stats into real world examples.
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

Pz-IVc, 7.5cm KwK L/24

8.1.OOB:

FC 3
Targ 3
RgF 4

Max Range 160 (=40 hexes)
Accuracy 64

7.1 OOB

Others same, but Accuracy 40
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

Values of SPWW2 of the same AFV translated to SPWAW-values.

FC 2
Targ 0
RgF 2

MR 240
Acc 24
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

The Pz-IVc/d has a 4/4 or a 4/5 I believe ands with early war armor being weak in general. I could see it being a real killer especially on anything British not named matilda. The sad fact is many gamers never use support tanks (other than Stugs ) so they don't know that they are pretty good tanks. The scott is a good example. Especially if the support tanks have heat rounds[;)]

I recommend them for their intended purpose. They are pretty cheap and really tear up the infantry if you can get close enough (~3 hexes).
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Rune Iversen

Post by Rune Iversen »

ORIGINAL: Keke

Pz-IVc, 7.5cm KwK L/24

8.1.OOB:

FC 3
Targ 3
RgF 4

Max Range 160 (=40 hexes)
Accuracy 64

7.1 OOB

Others same, but Accuracy 40

Hmm...
Let´s see

An accuracy of 64/4 equals an ACC rating of 16 (for the 8.1 unit). The equivalent value of the Us 75mm M3 AP is 10 (for 7.1). Is anybody going to believe that the stump of a gun carried by the Pz4C is more accurate than the 75mm M3 carried by the Sherman.

I wonder if they scaled up the M4a1 Sherman as well.

Keke?
Ignoring the wulfir
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen

I wonder if they scaled up the M4a1 Sherman as well.

Keke?

The answer is yes. From 40/3 to 68/3.
Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Early in the war the PzIVc is a fine medium tank. Simple as that. The only reason you wouldn't realise that is if you never play or study early war stuff. At which point it doesn't matter, cause middle to late in the war a PzIVc is a pile of crap.

Tomo
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

What Tombstone says.

Before '42, a IVc is about as good as you get. And yea, I would believe it's at least as good as a early Sherm. Optics.
Got StuG?
harlekwin

Post by harlekwin »

ORIGINAL: Belisarius

What Tombstone says.

Before '42, a IVc is about as good as you get. And yea, I would believe it's at least as good as a early Sherm. Optics.

Heh.

You are aware of the differing ballistic envelopes of the main guns and the differences in turret traverse speed and mechanism?
Frank W.

Post by Frank W. »

ORIGINAL: Belisarius

What Tombstone says.

optics may be, but the gun has only a caliber length of 24 , say 75 / L24 this should not be that good to hit other tanks on med or long distance...also i don´t know if the germans had good heat rounds available in the early years...any info ?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Thats what i was implying.Its a 75/24 SHORT barrel. I have no problem with short ranges.Its the long range hit/kills that seem odd.Seems more accurate than pz-iii's 37mm gun./
harlekwin

Post by harlekwin »

Thats what i was implying.Its a 75/24 SHORT barrel. I have no problem with short ranges.Its the long range hit/kills that seem odd.Seems more accurate than pz-iii's 37mm gun./

well it had good optics....

[;)]

the differences in the ballistic envelope and MV of the rounds is pretty profound.

I will make a post translating the ratings later today.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”