2 x off topic: RJW game and some subs photos

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Oleg Mastruko

2 x off topic: RJW game and some subs photos

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

This is off topic post, it has *nothing* to do with WITP but with various interesting discussions here heating up lately, I think this will be a good side-track reading and interesting to most of the visitors of this board. (I mean it's not like we play WITP already, no? [8D])

1.) Legendary Norm Koger updated his pages re Russo Japanese War game he's been working on for some time. This is VERY good news since he was silent for like a year or so. AFAIK this game has no publisher as of now (hunch, hunch Matrix?) [8|] so it's not like I am advertising competition here.

http://home.austin.rr.com/normkoger/RJW.html

I expect this one to r0X0rZ d00dz...

2.) Some weeks ago I visited two historic subs in Germany and made extensive pictorial(s) which I now published on the web. One of the subs ix ex-Soviet Tango class diesel electric sub, and the other is relatively well known U-995, last remaining German WW2 Typ VII sub on the planet (there's U-505 in museum in Chicago but it's Typ IX).

If you're interested click here:

http://www.bug.hr/oleg/subs.html

That's it, sorry for the interruption, I hope it was welcome, now we can continue discuss whether US Navy standard issue toothpick Mk3 must be included in the game inventory or not [:D]

Oleg
Brady

RE: 2 x off topic: RJW game and some subs photos

Post by Brady »

Very Cool, TY for posting this:)
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

Thanks for posting the pictures. Its incredible, I spent my entire navy career chasing soviet subs. I danced with the Tango Class more than once. I know every sound it makes but I’ve never seen the inside of one. If you told me 20 years ago that you would be able to buy one, I would have thought you were crazy. I’ll see if I can’t find one or two of my cold war pictures. By any chance do you know its original Hull Number? I’ll bet I’ve tracked that particular sub more than once.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Kid

Thanks for posting the pictures. Its incredible, I spent my entire navy career chasing soviet subs. I danced with the Tango Class more than once. I know every sound it makes but I’ve never seen the inside of one. If you told me 20 years ago that you would be able to buy one, I would have thought you were crazy. I’ll see if I can’t find one or two of my cold war pictures. By any chance do you know its original Hull Number? I’ll bet I’ve tracked that particular sub more than once.

Glad you liked it.

I think this particular boat's designation while in Russian service was B-515. It spent last years in Russian service as training boat in Murmansk, before being sold.

O.
redman1

Post by redman1 »

So, did you track this one Kid?
"Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist!"
mariovalleemtl

Post by mariovalleemtl »

Here a nice sub to. The SURCOUF, a 1927 unusual French Cruiser Submarines. [8D]

Click Here !

mario
Image Image Image
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Mario Vallée

Here a nice sub to. The SURCOUF, a 1941 unusual French Cruiser Submarines. [8D]

Click Here !

mario

Since when did this become a "French friendly" topic Mario? [:D]

Only joking...

I never understood, based on photos, how would Surcouf's guns traverse (ie move from left to right) This is not a real turret, and it seems as if they could "aim" those guns only by moving the whole sub.

Did she ever fire those guns operationally in war?

I've read recently that Surcouf's crew never really supported the allied cause, and that the sub itself was sunk when it was caught refuelling a German U boat (later to be hush-hushed by the well known story of accidental sinking in Caribbean). I find the refuelling story hard to believe.

O.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”