Historical order

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

jarmenia

Historical order

Post by jarmenia »

I am not very familer with operation market garden so I was wondering if any of you knew the answer. I would like to try and play HTTR in a "campagin" starting with the mission that came first, then the second, ect... Can anyone help me determine what order to play them?

Am I correct in assuming that the the four cities were all from the same drop and not four individual drops? I've got a feeling I'm going to get a history lesson here, which I would not mind [:)].

THanks for the help,

John
Grouchy

RE: Historical order

Post by Grouchy »

One small problem, most "missions" started all at the same time ;)

Pathfinders of the airborne units started to arrive at all the same time, first pathfinders to land where the men of 1st Abn Div at 1240. The american pathfinders dropped both at 1247.
Soon afterwards the first serials of the main body started to arrive and dropped thier sticks. This happened at 1301 and 1307.

More to the south near the Dutch-Belgium border XXX Corps jumped of at 1435.

One way is to "follow" XXX Corps: Start at Neerpelt, then the Eindhoven Hicamp, then Nijmegen and as last Arnhem.

Bycoming advantage is that the difficult level is going up as well, where Neerpelt imo is the most easy scenario and Arnhem a quit difficult scenario.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: jarmenia

I am not very familer with operation market garden so I was wondering if any of you knew the answer. I would like to try and play HTTR in a "campagin" starting with the mission that came first, then the second, ect... Can anyone help me determine what order to play them?

Am I correct in assuming that the the four cities were all from the same drop and not four individual drops? I've got a feeling I'm going to get a history lesson here, which I would not mind [:)].

Neerpelt wasn't a "drop". There were three nearly simoultaneous drops in and around Nijmegen, Eindhoven and Arnhem (with smaller reinforcement drops later on). Land forces of XXX corps started from Neerpelt area after para drops, but their job was entirely different than that of paras. They were to link up with the paras (first Eindhoven, then Nijmegen, and finally Arnhem - Arnhem being the legendary "a bridge too far" they never managed to reach [not in this operation anyway]).

Good online overview of the operation is available here:

http://www.rememberseptember44.com

O.
jarmenia

Post by jarmenia »

Thanks for the info. I knew the operation was not successful but did not realize that there were three different drops, one for each town.

John

Return to “Highway to the Reich”