Other Campaigns, Not In Panther's Schedule

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

dinsdale

Other Campaigns, Not In Panther's Schedule

Post by dinsdale »

While the next batch of games already have me impatiently waiting for their release, I was wondering what the feasibility of creating scenarios might be, to deal with battles not in Panther's plans. Is there any documentatioin for the scenario editors, and is it possible to create completely new orders of battle?

Does anyone have any advice on where to start with editing? Where are good sites for semi-accurate orders of battle?

I'd be really interested to see how the game could be used for Greece, Norway, Belgium and even parts of 1940 France. None of these appear to be targets for the next batch of games, so it looks like DIY or nothing :)
Brady

RE: Other Campaigns, Not In Panther's Schedule

Post by Brady »

They are doing the Crete Invashion as a downloadable adation to the present game, it will cost somthing to purchase it, though I do not know how much.
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

test
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Blast I lost my detailed reply.

Shaun or Marc ( Webmasters ) please help. I can't get the Reply or Quote buttons to work, only the Fast Reply button.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
JeF

Post by JeF »

ORIGINAL: dinsdale

Is there any documentatioin for the scenario editors, and is it possible to create completely new orders of battle?

Map Maker and Scenario Maker manuals should be available into your Start Menu. If not, have a look into the Manuals directory from your game's install dir.
Both editors (HTTRMM.EXE and HTTRSM.EXE) are located into the install dir
I'd be really interested to see how the game could be used for Greece, Norway, Belgium and even parts of 1940 France. None of these appear to be targets for the next batch of games, so it looks like DIY or nothing :)

Main problem are the unchangeable estabs. But if you are ready for a little abstraction and lack of accuracy, there are possibilities. I, myself, was thinking of the german airborne operation to capture the Meuse and Albert Canal bridges near Liege on 10 May 1940.

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
Golf33

Post by Golf33 »

Alternatively you have estabs there that cover Wehrmacht Panzer and Infantry divisions, Luftwaffe GHQ units and FJ divisions, and SS Panzer divisions; and on the Allied side, British Airborne, Guards and Line Infantry and Armoured divisions, GHQ artillery and recce units, US Airborne units, Polish Airborne units, and the Dutch brigade, all correct for mid-late 1944. Using these estabs there's a fair range of battles you should be able to cover!

Regards
Steve Golf33 Long
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Thanks for the info folks.

Is there no way to change the estabs? If not then I don't see it as too big a deal.

Any good online OOB sites?
Richmond516

Post by Richmond516 »

Just run a search in Google for your favorite campaign and you're sure to find something. Say *campaign name* or *battle name* and "OOB".

By the way, whatever maps you design need to have a base area of at least 4x4 km so when they're scaled down they come out to 1000x1000 pixels minimum. That little bit held up my Somme 1916 scenario.

Best of luck,
Tom R.
Golf33

Post by Golf33 »

Tom,

please check your Private Messages.

Thanks
Steve Golf33 Long
Golf33

Post by Golf33 »

ORIGINAL: JeF

Main problem are the unchangeable estabs. But if you are ready for a little abstraction and lack of accuracy, there are possibilities. I, myself, was thinking of the german airborne operation to capture the Meuse and Albert Canal bridges near Liege on 10 May 1940.

JeF.
You'll be getting 1941 estabs for some German airborne and mountain troops in the Crete expansion pack :)

Regards
Steve Golf33 Long
raydude

Post by raydude »

I don't suppose "desert" and "mountain" are terrain types that will be available w/ the Crete download? I'm thinking a North Africa '41 scenario is in order :).
JeF

Post by JeF »

ORIGINAL: Golf33
You'll be getting 1941 estabs for some German airborne and mountain troops in the Crete expansion pack :)

They'll be welcome.
Now if I could find the time to do some research... [:(]

JeF.
The Drop Zone
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: raydude

I don't suppose "desert" and "mountain" are terrain types that will be available w/ the Crete download? I'm thinking a North Africa '41 scenario is in order :).

You can easily create your own map, including editing the terrain layer name, graphics and values. Check out the MapMaker that comes with HTTR. There is a pdf manual on disk.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
JeF

Post by JeF »

ORIGINAL: raydude

As Dave said ! Everything is (nearly) possible.

Some bloke (hi Steve ! [:)]) managed to offer us a well done (and painfully realistic) map of a Normandy beach back in the RDoA days.
You should be able to define all the charactristics of each terrain layer. The limitations lie in the number of layers and the maximum elevation change IIRC.

Cheers,

JeF.
The Drop Zone
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Actually, for Crete we'll be adding an extra five altitude layers. That's the maximum we can add in the current data structure, without blowing out the size and reprogramming everything. This will mean mapping using 40m layers up to 600m elevation. We will handle the areas above that elevation with a special "mountain" terrain type that will be impassable.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Return to “Highway to the Reich”