Carrier Bug

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

foliveti

Carrier Bug

Post by foliveti »

I am new to PBEM and have come across what seems to be a bug in loading aircraft onto carriers. I am playing as the allied player. I started the game with a disaster at Coral Sea. Both of my carriers were severely damaged with the Lexington eventually sinking and the Yorktown limping back to Cairns. The aircraft which had been on strikes or flying CAP scattered to various air bases as subunits. After I had fixed the flotation damage in Port on the Yorktown I transferred one of the fighter subunits onto the Yorktown. Instead of an F-3-f being shown in the screen for this subunit a plane that looked a lot like an A-20 appeared on the carriers and it showed 0 aircraft. I then tried to transfer the main fighter group for the Yorktown back onto the ship. It would not let me do that. I played with it for a few turns. I could not transfer the sub unit with 0 planes off of the Yorktown nor could I transfer the fighter group back to the Yorktown. Since the carrier had 35 system damage, I eventually gave up and sent the Yorktown back to Pearl Harbor. Its fighter group is doing a fine job in Port Moresby, but what happens when the carrier comes back? Will it still be impossible to load the real fighters onto the plane. Was there any way to have fixed this or do I just need to keep sub units off of carriers in the future?
Frank
barnacle bob

RE: Carrier Bug

Post by barnacle bob »

I too had A20s show up on a carrier. I saved the game, exited and restarted. worked for me. I was going to use them on a raid against Truk, but Dolittle was busy.

The powers that be are aware of this problem. I've seen it mentioned before.
barnacle bob

Post by barnacle bob »

Be careful when using the Long Island for transporting naval aircraft. Thay may disappear. I blame all this on the little known Coral Sea Triangle. Not as well known as the Bermuda Triangle.
foliveti

Coral Sea Triangle

Post by foliveti »

I had heard of the infamous ghost squadrons of the Long Island. The A-20 bug was new to me. I guess I should have exited and restarted on the turn where I initially made the miraculous transfer of the A-20. Last time I saw the Yorktown, the A-20 squadron had no planes and therefore would not transfer off of the carrier. For some reason it hogged a squadron slot even though it had no planes so I could not transfer squadrons onto the ship. Hopefully, they will be able to remove the squadron while it is undergoing repairs on the West Coast.
Frank
Admiral DadMan

RE: Coral Sea Triangle

Post by Admiral DadMan »

It's not actually an A-20 you're seeing. The picture, yes, but look closely at the aircraft assigned. You should see the F4F listed.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

This is an old bug. I too experienced it and turned all my files into the authorities about 9 months ago. As I recall, it went away with some fiddling around. Anyway, it was reported. I don't think it will be fixed as they really are putting all thier effort into the new game.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
DaveConn

Post by DaveConn »

I also have experienced this. Eventually, the squadron goes away on its own, but it took a week or more in port.
--Dave
marky

Post by marky »

ORIGINAL: barnacle bob

Be careful when using the Long Island for transporting naval aircraft. Thay may disappear. I blame all this on the little known Coral Sea Triangle. Not as well known as the Bermuda Triangle.

the infamous Bermuda Triangle eh?

i sailed thru there for over 500 miles or so

to my knowledge, nufin happened [:'(]
Bill Durrant

Post by Bill Durrant »

ORIGINAL: marky
ORIGINAL: barnacle bob

the infamous Bermuda Triangle eh?

i sailed thru there for over 500 miles or so

to my knowledge, nufin happened [:'(]

But look what it did to your computer when you tried to run UV[:D]
Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore
AmiralLaurent

Post by AmiralLaurent »

This bug appears when you have a sub-unit in a CV with no more planes and some pilots and you move back the sub-unit that diverted to a landbase, or something like that. In this case, one of the subunits is removed from the games when the two units merge, at least in most cases. But sometimes abaord CV, all pilots and planes go to the merged unit but the former unit remains with 0 planes, 0 pilots and the plane with the lower number in the database (A-20 for Allied and Claude for IJN if I remember well). This unit may disappear after some time while units are sent to and taken out the CV but I have never excatly understood why.

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”