lucky shot?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

OKW-73

lucky shot?

Post by OKW-73 »

Im not sure if i was hallucinating but i just did destroy KV2 with PzIIc using APCR ammo and hitting KV's side hull...wonder how this is possible? Usually if lucky i can immobilize those monsters with PzII, but destroy? omg i was shocked, and still am :D
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone
OKW-73

Post by OKW-73 »

OMG!!! second later i did destroy KV1 with another PzIIc again side hull hit! maybe i did fall a sleep on my desk and dreaming this all...unbeliavable! :eek:
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone
Irinami

Post by Irinami »

My Engineers took out a 7-TP with a front-hull hit. 17mm armor. It wasn't grenades. It wasn't flamethrower. It wasn't satchel charge. It wasn't MG42. It wasn't even a close-assault. It was the MP-38/40 at range 1. :eek: :eek:

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb
tracer

Post by tracer »

Close range?
Jim NSB ImageImage
tracer

Post by tracer »

Irinami wrote:My Engineers took out a 7-TP with a front-hull hit. 17mm armor. It wasn't grenades. It wasn't flamethrower. It wasn't satchel charge. It wasn't MG42. It wasn't even a close-assault. It was the MP-38/40 at range 1. :eek: :eek:
I recently had a recon HT damaged with a bottom hit from a Thompson. I held my breath while the .50cal fired at it from 3 hexes away and was floored when the SMG in slot-2 caused the damage. :eek:

Just wondering: which OOB set did your 7-TP kill happen with?
Jim NSB ImageImage
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

I've killed two tanks with rifle hits to the front. Both were 'vulnerable location' hits.

Goblin
Grimm

(Un)lucky shot

Post by Grimm »

In a PBEM game I'm playing, I drove a SU-76 around a corner and was greeted with a shot from a Tiger I at about 10 hexes only to have it bounce(!) off my front armor! And it wasn't a ricochet. :D
Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way
tracer

Post by tracer »

Grimm wrote:In a PBEM game I'm playing, I drove a SU-76 around a corner and was greeted with a shot from a Tiger I at about 10 hexes only to have it bounce(!) off my front armor! And it wasn't a ricochet. :D
I've seen the same happen with trucks (those with an armor rating of 4 on their front 'hull'). Even better is an 'ineffective suspension' hit on a completely unarmored vehicle...those must be some serious steel belted radials! :D
Jim NSB ImageImage
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

I had a Japanese patrol boat take a bottom hit from a recon squad once. Dang those swimmers! :D
What, me worry?
Irinami

Post by Irinami »

The OOB set was v.7.1. The encounter happened at range 1 (1 hex away), was a front hull hit, not bottom, not even a Vulnerable Location! :eek: I remember once before, my Japanese infantry squads' rifles took out a few Russian BT-tanks.

Newbies!!
tracer

Post by tracer »

From my experience small arms can do some unusual damage from an adjacent hex, whether assaulting or not.
Jim NSB ImageImage
Veroporo

Post by Veroporo »

That's usual. One time I got very upset because germans shot my halftrack with mg42 lmg five hexes away - destroyed. I've also seen a german armored car to be destroyed by mosin nagant from six hexes away - althought it was hit by a 76.2mm gun a second before but not destroyed. :P
Ei kannattais.
tracer

Post by tracer »

Remember: if a vehicle is open-topped and the firing unit is at a higher elevation you could be looking at a 'no armor' situation.
Jim NSB ImageImage
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

There should be alot more of this happening when v8.0 comes out. IIRC, they said that the MMGs and HMGs will get a little pen. added to them.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Irinami

Post by Irinami »

LMG's and MMG's, even in squad situations, appear to have some inherent pen-values. Sometimes they're listed, sometimes not. Oddly enough, sometimes ATR squads don't have their pen listed either. :(

Newbies!!
OKW-73

Post by OKW-73 »

Veroporo wrote:That's usual. One time I got very upset because germans shot my halftrack with mg42 lmg five hexes away - destroyed. I've also seen a german armored car to be destroyed by mosin nagant from six hexes away - althought it was hit by a 76.2mm gun a second before but not destroyed. :P
Dont under estimate Mosin Nagant ;)
It's me with my Mosin Nagant in my banner ;)
Karnaaj

Post by Karnaaj »

Nope, don't underestimate the Mosin-Nagants. My first try at Russian Steel, one of my squads killed a German tank at about three hexes or so with rifle fire. <G> Can't remember if it was "vulnerable location", but it wasn't a top or bottom hit. Real tank, too, turret and tracks. (PzII? III? Whatever was rolling up in the southwest, in the opening scenario.)

Elsewise, it's my Stuart backshooting a King Tiger with a 37mm <heheheh>, or the one I just did with H2H.fr solitaire, with a late-model PzIII (long 50mm) killing a T-34 at about five hexes, front turret. <!> (OK, mebbe that's not as long a shot, but I've lost way too many better tanks to them bloody Soviet tracks...)

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”