Aquiring rights to boardgames

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

marcusjm

Aquiring rights to boardgames

Post by marcusjm »

Ok most of here might agree that Avalon Hill has some of the best game designs ever for war & strategy games. In fact some of the best game designs over all exists on boards and not computers (at least I can't think of one computer game that beats my fave boardgames). The only problem is no AI with boardgames. In other words we need these designs on cpu:s AND kickass A/I.

Why not buy a couple of rights to some key boardgames? (ie games that Hasbro doesn't plan to do anything about).
Another option might be to look for smaller boardgame manufacturers not in hands of the evil empire. Who own's SPI:s titles for instance?

I have an idea that might make this feasible (just thinking).

How about selling stocks for each game you buy the rights to? If for instance 2000 buys stocks for let's say 100$ each (or more) and get's a small chance at profit from the games (ok very small <g>). If the snowball get's rolling there might be more wargamers willing to invest.

Yes I'm not talking about matrixgames stocks but in the games they buy the rights to do. It probably wont be enough for the big ones (Hasbro again), but it might be enough to buy the rights to some SPI titles for instance.

Matrixgames could start a small stockexchange and see which game is the most interesting etc, kinda gives incentive right away Image. If I invest in something i'm more likelly to buy it also.

Just some (crazy?) thoughts Image.

Marcus
marcusjm
laurent Favre

Post by laurent Favre »

SPI: Decision Games for the most part.

Hasbro: seems as they bought AH for the titles of the boardgames. And the first to be used for a computer game without any similarity with the boardgame is the upcoming "Squad leader".
I guess Hasbro would sell titles for much money...

[This message has been edited by laurent Favre (edited September 26, 2000).]
When I think about TS, I'm suffocating. And you?
marcusjm

Post by marcusjm »

Ok but what about the stock exchange idea? Would it work or is it totally unrealistic?

Marcus
marcusjm
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

I would have to say that a stock exchange in probably unrealistic & perhaps illegal in some jurasdictions. Stocks have value based on the continued earning power of the company. Games have a limited money earning life. As sales decline over time, only a complete idiot would buy your stock in that game. Most jurasdictions have laws to protect the mentally incompetent.

Bonzo

------------------
Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator
28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters
http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com
nwbattalion@icqmail.com
Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster
28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters
Main http://www.nwbattalion.com
marcusjm

Post by marcusjm »

Well I wasn't thinking of stocks in the traditional sence but rather options or something. As you probably know options have a limited expiry time.

I think it could work and I don't see anything illegal with investing in products.

Marcus
marcusjm

Return to “General Discussion”