Command organization

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Koenig

Command organization

Post by Koenig »

New to UV, and willing to learn.
I see bases and units are assigned to a particular Command, but is there any effect, apart from Barge Hubs and (for the Allies) reinforcements?

Thank you for your reply.
BPRE

Northern Command

Post by BPRE »

Welcome to UV Koenig,

You can probably get a more detailed answer by somebody else but the first thing I think of in this area are the units belonging to Northern Command on the Allied side.

They can only move by marching somewhere (not by air or transport TF) so in effect they are restricted to the Australian mainland. It's written in paragraph 20.3 in the manual.

Regards
BPRE
Koenig

Post by Koenig »

Thank you for your reply BPRE.

Maybe I should have been clearer.
My concern is about the distinction between SOPAC/SWPAC and Combined Fleet/8th Area Army. Rule 16.6 of manual.
Is there any problem to mix up units of different Commands or assigning them to bases under a different Command?

Regards

Koenig
Ol_Dog

command

Post by Ol_Dog »

sec 9.1 says the presence of HQ affects the units. Includes Division HQ and Army or Corp.
Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.
Attack Condor

Post by Attack Condor »

I haven't seen any problems as long as the units we're discussing are assigned to SOPAC/SWPAC as opposed to something like "7th Aus Inf Div". Case in point is the NZ Def Bn CD unit assigned to SOPAC. I've sent it to Rockhampton and it doesn't seem to be accruing any additional fatigue/morale loss, etc.

Maybe it's different for front line combat units (e.g. 754 Armor Bn assigned to SOPAC), perhaps others can chime in as well.

Welcome!
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Koenig

Post by Koenig »

A few specific questions on this subject:

1)A division HQ gives a 20% combat bonus to a subordinate unit, and an Army HQ gives a 10% bonus.
If a unit can benefit from both situations it will get a 20% or a 30% bonus?

2)Rule 9.1 says a unit can benefit form any Army HQ. Is this true even if the Army HQ belongs to a different Command?
i.e. Can a unit from 8th Army Area get support and combat bonus from an Army HQ subordinated to Combined Fleet?

3)Why are bases assigned to a Command? I don't see any reason to operate 8th Army Area units in their bases opposed to Combined Fleet bases.
USSMaine

Post by USSMaine »

Koenig wrote:A few specific questions on this subject:

1)A division HQ gives a 20% combat bonus to a subordinate unit, and an Army HQ gives a 10% bonus.
If a unit can benefit from both situations it will get a 20% or a 30% bonus?
I found this in the manual -
<begin manual quote>
"13.3 HQs and Ground Combat
Ground Division HQ’s provide a +20% ground combat benefit and Army/Corps HQ’s provide a +10% ground combat benefit. Ground units in the same hex
with the Division HQ they are directly attached to will be 20% more effective in ground combat. Japanese Army/Allied Corps HQ’s provide a 10% benefit
to all ground units within 6 hexes. "
<end manual quote>

Since they list a "+10" and "+20" I assume they are cumulative.

I'm not sure about the other parts of your question.
BPRE

Post by BPRE »

Sorry Koenig,

I've really got nothing to add to the other posts. Hope they gave you the info you needed.

Regards
BPRE
Koenig

Post by Koenig »

BPRE wrote:Sorry Koenig,

I've really got nothing to add to the other posts. Hope they gave you the info you needed.

Regards
BPRE

In spite of the kind efforts I'm still in the dark.
I belong to old 'boardgame school' (does anybody remember Flat Top? Image) and the use with complex games like UV was to dissect the Rulebook and then agree with the adversary about uncertain matters before the match.

With a PC game this is not possible, many rules are hard-coded and sometimes difficult to understand.

So, for instance, it makes sense that Combined Fleet and 8th Area Army are under different management and run a 'parallel' war, but I'm very uncertain this is contemplated in UV.

Let's take the Army/Division HQ combat bonus question I raised above.
It is not a secondary matter. Hasn't anybody made tests on this?

Regards

Koenig
SeaWolF K

Post by SeaWolF K »

At least with air units there seems to be no penality for moving them between areas of operation. I transfer my P-38s back and forth all the time to support my current operation.
USSMaine

Post by USSMaine »

Well Koenig -

In my play vs the AI as the Allies I haven't seen that it matters what command a unit is in other than for effectiveness given the primary hq - From 13.4: "Ground units suffer disruption if they are not within 27 hexes of the HQ" restrictions. "

It seems to me (and I haven't checked this as the Japanese) to be that this 27 hex range is the only 'gotcha' for army/fleets level hqs.

Not very helpful but perhaps some others can elaborate.
Lrfss

Post by Lrfss »

I for one have not found any problems/advantages other than those just posted!

Good question and worth the test though!

Later,

Lrfss

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”