What Would You Like?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Wild Bill

What Would You Like?

Post by Wild Bill »

Suppose another tactical wargame on the scale of Steel Panthers, single tanks-vehicles, squads, teams, and single artillery units were going to come out in a year or so.

Tell me what you would like included. Please try to say each thing in one sentence. You can mention as many as you think important. Just keep them short.

Some points are given, better AI, better graphics...etc.

But in particular, such as, I'd like to control the type of ammo my tank uses.

I would like some form of close combat or melee between units if and when they get into the same hex.

I want dismounting cavalry, skiers, motorcycle troops, etc. etc.

Those are the kinds of things I would like to hear(read).

It can be about units, editor, just be specific. I'll be taking notes just in case it should ever happen. (G)...Wild Bill

------------------
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Antonescu

Post by Antonescu »

Dismounting cavalry, motorcycle troops, etc.

Ability to choose ammo type when firing.

Abyssianians and Partisan graphics (especially Yugoslav, and for Spanish Civil War).

Ability to pick the size of my maps by the number of hexes ( x by y) instead of three sizes.

Graphics for colonial type infantry/cavalry.
Spunkgibbon

Post by Spunkgibbon »

Better AI and pathfinding (so vehicles don't crash into buildings on their way to somewhere else).

A better random map generator for campaign and individual battles would be good.

The ability to place victory hexes when designing non-scenario maps.

Infantry assaults on non-vehicle units.

Different infantry movement modes to allow stealthy approach to targets.
-------------------------
"There is nothing more
exhilarating than being
shot at without result"
- Winston Churchill
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

Just a note on "stealthy movement" if you move only one hex at a time you will find you are much less likely to be detected than if you go faster. Especially if you are not in the "front" of an enemy unit...
kfbaker

Post by kfbaker »

Simlair game, but smaller scale, namely squad leader scale. But plays and feels like steal panther, so you still have campaign modes with careers.

Along with major ww2 campaign it would be nice to see shorter ones cover major battle like the Bridge to far, of ardennes etc. The time scale would be shorter say 1 turn = 1 min.
Alby

Post by Alby »

Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Suppose another tactical wargame on the scale of Steel Panthers, single tanks-vehicles, squads, teams, and single artillery units were going to come out in a year or so.

Tell me what you would like included. Please try to say each thing in one sentence. You can mention as many as you think important. Just keep them short.

I would like some form of close combat or melee between units if and when they get into the same hex.

It can be about units, editor, just be specific. I'll be taking notes just in case it should ever happen. (G)...Wild Bill

hmmm now thats a tuffy...I think hex yardage somewhere between sp3 and spwaw, still trying to get used to infrantry shooting at me from halfway across the map(too used to sp3 i think)
How about being able to capture enemy armor and / or crew served weapons and turning them on the enemy??
as they used to say in the civil war..."turn the cannon!!"

JimY

Post by JimY »

I would like to see SPWAW or SPWW2 expanded to include modern units like in SP2.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Gentlemen! I have read all of these and made the appropriate notes.

You may not see all of these in the current SPWAW.

But remember, Matrix is a Gaming Company. We are going to make games, with Michael Wood, Gary Grigsby, Tom Proudfoot, Frank Hunter as programmers and with the best beta test team in the world, there could be better things ahead.

You will see some of these changes in an upcoming SPWAW patch however, so just hang on...Wild Bill

------------------
Wild Bill Wilder
Matrix Games
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
troopie

Post by troopie »

The ability to buy any units for any type of scenario. E.g, to get landing craft for other than assault missions.

To get Armies and Airforces for all nations involved in WW2, Ethiopia, Thailand, Denmark, Brasil, Union of South Africa. And for potential combattants like Sweden, Turkey and Switzerland.

troopie
Pamwe Chete
silverleaf1

Post by silverleaf1 »

Wild Bill,
1. Some equipment such as the Tiger II was not readily available all the time or was made in limited quantities or both. It would be nice if refits took this into account.

2. More variation in the force size of the opposition. The game is too tied to points. For example when facing an assault maybe the point differential is 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 or more. Your performance would be gauged against what could be expected. Being able to gauge when to retreat would then be very important. Not all battles should be winnable.

3. I would like to see an AI that would learn from how you play. In real life opposing commanders were studied for this very information.

4. Mines should not always be available in unlimited quantities OR make a counterattack take place on the same map with the mines already in place as after the last battle where the previously attacking player would become the defender.

5. If a player is doing very well some of the artillery support or air support could be called away to other sectors that have become threatened.

6. Just as in refits rare unit types may or may not be available to provide support.

7. Sometimes it may be that in a refit you may not have enough (mainly of the rarer ammunition types) to refit all units to full loadouts.

8. In a campaign of many battles units should have to be rested every so often or get progressively worse morale. No unit should be able to fight in battle after battle without a rest.

Scott
silverleaf1@yahoo.com
Originally posted by Wild Bill:

Pack Rat

Post by Pack Rat »

Some classic armour moves for the AI.

More control of off board arty.

Better opp fire routine for the AI.

Maybe the ability to cut off supplies.

Thanks for asking Bill Image

------------------

Good hunting,
Pack Rat

[This message has been edited by Pack Rat (edited 05-22-2000).]
PR
Six-pk

Post by Six-pk »

Having scenarios with captured equipment Image

------------------
Six-pk
Six-pk
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

You are welcome, Pack Rat. These are all very good and I am keeping notes as we go.

No promises, but voices will be heard and we'll do what we can.

I'm not reneging, just listening to what our ideal game might include and then seeing what we can do.

WB

------------------
Wild Bill Wilder
Matrix Games
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
jones

Post by jones »

Long campaign generator that allows you to plug in user-created campaigns (even scenarios maybe?).

Improved scenario generator for better long campaign battles.

Scenario editor with better support for "area" or "force" scripting, which can then be populated with units based on points and still result in the AI fighting a coherent battle.

PBEM support for >2 players (sounds hokey I know, but allows for individual unit commanders on the same side).

-d
Glen Felzien

Post by Glen Felzien »

Thanks for asking Bill:-)

I like making maps. The new changes are great and very much appreciated. Now how about grave yards, different bridge types for different size rivers; pontoon bridges; multi level buildings with a roof top option for snipers and scouts; churches/cathedrals; reduction in smoke generation or base it on the nature of the combustable material.

Glen Felzien
Glen
ruxius

Post by ruxius »

Hi great Bill and Paul, here is 'old mate'Frank who is yahoo-ing for 32% of SPWAW downloading...
Well I am sure you have just noted what I
suggested to you in the past and you replied some 90% will be satisfied from SPWAW...so I can only add some feature only from science fiction such as :
Two levels of SP : one regarding SPWAW as all we know it and a second one "in additional" up to local area battle-fight
which is more tactical : a second map recreating historical battles where SPWAW takes place only as a way to resolve battles...
E.x. NorthAfrica..a map with cities and
water and fuel depots, roads airports..you choose groups of core units..you move them in the great map..when they have to fought you translate them into SPWAW squad level battles...this way should be played a 'Campaign' !
This I will try when I will become a good programmer...

Excellent work by you till now..! I happily found here a great mass of people honouring your work ! This is due to your large attention to us ..THANK YOU BOYS ! Keep a good work !
Italian Soldier,German Discipline!
ruxius

Post by ruxius »

Hi great Bill and Paul, here is 'old mate'Frank who is yahoo-ing for 32% of SPWAW downloading...
Well I am sure you have just noted what I
suggested to you in the past and you replied some 90% will be satisfied from SPWAW...so I can only add some feature only from science fiction such as :
Two levels of SP : one regarding SPWAW as all we know it and a second one "in additional" up to local area battle-fight
which is more tactical : a second map recreating historical battles where SPWAW takes place only as a way to resolve battles...
E.x. NorthAfrica..a map with cities and
water and fuel depots, roads airports..you choose groups of core units..you move them in the great map..when they have to fought you translate them into SPWAW squad level battles...this way should be played a 'Campaign' !
This I will try when I will become a good programmer...

Excellent work by you till now..! I happily found here a great mass of people honouring your work ! This is due to your large attention to us ..THANK YOU BOYS ! Keep a good work !
Italian Soldier,German Discipline!
Corkman

Post by Corkman »

I would like capture abdomed tracks and others vehicles.
I would like to hide and stay hidden even enamy is near or same hex. (Mayby only special forces or partisan?)
chlanda

Post by chlanda »

A large popup stategic map that I could actually see and select units from. (Being able to get an indication of moves/ammo left for the unit would also be nice.)

------------------
freds.webprovider.com
grockall

Post by grockall »

The "big" feature I would like in a future game is point to point movement doing away with the hex grid. Also "jones" mentioned plugging in scenarios/mini campaigns to an ongoing Long Campaign which I think would be great.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”