Artillery Effectiveness in Preferences?

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Cross

Post by Cross »

Question:

If you change Arty Effectiveness in Preferences, say down to 50%, does this just effect indirect arty?

Or does this effect the whole class, so everything you buy under the heading “artillery” including Anti Tank Guns, AAA etc. also have their effectiveness reduced by 50% ?

Cheers
Cross
Cross
Conduct youself with honour, and there is victory even in defeat.
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

That has to be just indirect arty. I think it was a poor decision to call that whole category of stuff "Artillery" in the buy screen. It confuses people.

IIRC, when you adjust arty effectiveness, you are presented with "v. soft targets" or "v. hard targets" modifications. That would only effect indirect arty fire. Otherwise, they would have stated it as "HE effectiveness" and "AP Effectiveness."
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Cross

Post by Cross »

Thanks for the response Rbrunsman.

Your deductions are logical! But assume that the designers were using common sense, which we have already concluded is questionable ;-) eg. "calling that whole catogory of stuff artillery"

However, I like your answer and will accept it :-)

Even though my Anti Guns and AAA units don't seem to be able to hit/damage the preverbial barn door! Perhaps I will have to consider the fact that these support boys just can't shoot straight; I will have a word with their Officer, while waving a revolver in the air ;-)

Thanks again,
Cross
Cross
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

I find that I sometimes go through a period of terrible luck where I can't hit anything and my opponent hits everything and op fires 20 times with a single unit. Luck is streaky and you just have to muddle through it. Pretty soon, I'll return to where I can't believe the good luck I have. One shot one kill all the time.

I put it down to the fortunes of war. You're probably just on a bad luck streak. How are your opponent's shots doing? If he's hitting well then it certainly isn't the preference setting (assuming you each have a lower setting).

It is fun, however, to relieve a platoon commander of his duties, send him to the East Front or send him to the firing squad for cowardice once in a while. Image
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Cross

Post by Cross »

"How are your opponent's shots doing? If he's hitting well then it certainly isn't the preference setting (assuming you each have a lower setting)."

Well that's the thing, my opponent requested 50% artillery effectiveness and about eight yes 8 air strikes. I agreed to this and prudently bought plenty of AAA, and a few AT guns. My opponent bought no artillery at all, no AT guns - that I have seen - and only a couple of SP quad 2cm AAA (which even at 50% gives you a dual 20mm). This, and the fact that I've only hit one plane (damage "1") of the hoards of air hammering me into the ground, I even lost my HQ unit to splash damage (in an adjacent hex) from air fired rockets. My normally trusty 6 pounder AT guns, and 3 inch AAA /AT guns are letting me down also.

This is what set me to wondering about the effectiveness issues.

Your "run of bad luck" theory is quite plausible though. So I will have to resort to some serious disciplinary action. Perhaps I will order these units into the open ground before the next wave of bombing runs :D

---
Conduct yourself with honour, and even in defeat there is victory.
Cross
Cross

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”