I've been working on a campaign for years now. Kursk.

Trade tips and tricks, workarounds maps, and graphics mods. Why certain scenarios or campaigns are favorites, or how to improve stinkers. Attach your work to share/critique.

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Tombstone

I've been working on a campaign for years now. Kursk.

Post by Tombstone »

So I've been working on these several Kursk related scenarios I've been trying to put together into a campaign for AGES. I'm finding a little bit of time recently and I want to try and push them through to completion. I was wondering if I could get some consultation on how to bring scenarios that are mostly done up to "modern" spec. Should I convert to HtH? Has anything particular changed in the last 8 months regarding style or method regarding scenario development? And the ever present request for play testers. Any takers? I know there are some of you out there that have helped, but it's been a long time and I haven't had any contact with any of you in quite a long time.

Tomo
Iron Cross

Tomo - Bring Them On!!!

Post by Iron Cross »

Tomo,

Iron Cross (aka: LtCol Davenport) here, deployed to Camp As-Saliyah, Qatar n support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Send me what you have and I will play it and tell you what I think. I think that converting it to H2H for all the goodies could be a good thing, however, I have also seen some goofy stuff happen with H2H if the scenario is not done with it in mind (wrong environment tiles, equipment etc...). I have played these before for you and made comments for you so send them to me and I will do the same thing for your campaign.

LtCol Davenport
USCENTCOM Forward
CCJ2 Plans
Camp As-Saliyah, Qatar
Col David A. Davenport (USMCR)
MSSI - 0202/0210
JFCOM - JTC (Intel/Counter-Intel)
Iron Cross

My E-Mail Address

Post by Iron Cross »

Tomo,

Forgot to include my e-mail - :rolleyes: its:

usmc0202@hotmail.com

LtCol Davenport
Standing Guard in Qatar
Col David A. Davenport (USMCR)
MSSI - 0202/0210
JFCOM - JTC (Intel/Counter-Intel)
gainiac

Post by gainiac »

Iron Cross wrote:Tomo,

LtCol Davenport
Standing Guard in Qatar
Semper Fi!!!!
Frank W.

Post by Frank W. »

i think you should contact panzer leo for the
question how to convert to H2H...

i have no detailed knowledge of the kursk battles
but i´m interested in this battle.

how much scens has your camp till now ?
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

One other option is to convert to version 8 which is due for release soon.
The conversion should not be too traumatic since it is based on the version of SPWAW that you are currently using.

Every designer has his own style. Your campaign may be the best one ever or the worst but that would only be one man's opinion. What you need is a good unbiased (if that is possible) play tester who will give you reliable feedback on your efforts and hopefully encourage you to complete your project.

The important thing I guess is that you finish all the main thread scenarios and build the campaign with the critical path complete. Then, if you have time and motivation, you can go on to build the side show scenarios, the what-if's and other alternates.

A good campaign would show the historical and the fictional, based on the player's abilities. It is a very tortuous job but with dedication you will succeed.

If I can offer you one piece of advice, it is to make the scenarios small and short.
Keep the units to fewer than 100 on both sides and game length to 10-15 turns, 6-20 maximum.

good luck
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

I'm sorry Major D. These scenarios are collosal. Maybe I should outline the scope of this campaign.

It covers the 3rd SS Pz Grenadier Division's movements on the southern face of the Kursk offensive.

The player gets like 7000 points. There is a recommended buy, but the player is free to do as he pleases. The recommended buy makes the player's core units cover an armored infantry battalion, a tank company, and a bunch of support units.

There are 6 core battles that roughly cover the seven days of the heavy fighting in the offensive.

1. Objective Gremuchii (day one) - hitting the front-lines hard with most of the PzG div's units.

2. Gonki-Erik (Widening the Breach) - A hard move east against a lot of resistance with alternate set-up locations based on prior success.

3. Lipovnyi Donetz River Valley (Holding the right flank) - An advancing move along the river valley.

4. Krasnyi Oktabir (Switching flanks) - Moving to the north of the 2nd SS PzK's area of operations to make a river crossing on R. Psel.

5. Hill 226.6 (Taking the hill) - Moving up a large hill to take the commanding heights.

6. North of the Psel (Outflank Prokhorovka) - A north-easterly dash with mobile forces. (This is where the German bastards made their farthest advance in the offensive).

There are an additional 6 scenario's that cover what-if situations. They culminate in assaulting Kursk, or defending against overwhelming force along R. Psel.

These are all MONSTROUS scenarios. All of them are 20-50 turns with 300 - 700 units. If they were small I would be done with them. There's a reason why I've been working on them so long.

BTW - Iron Cross, I think you're the only one to have ever got the whole thing (as much as is made). I can send it again to you.

Tomo
orsha

Post by orsha »

The north of the psel scenario I played a few years ago was awsome. Worked very well with SPWAW ver 6. It took about 2 weeks to finish but was one the of best historical scenarios I've played.
Looking forward for the campaign, with the number of units though it might be easier working on the new to be released ver8 than H2H, or releasing an old version.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Well, I've gotten used to readapting the units to what's current. I'm no longer intimidated by the thought of going through 800 units looking for anomolies. It just takes a long time.

Where do I get the new ver of H2H tho?

Tomo
wulfir

Post by wulfir »

Hi!

One funny thing I noticed in spwaw when toying around with a large size campaign (ironically, it was also Kursk but in the North) was that when you had too many units on the map your crews would disapear.

If a tank crew bailed they would just disapear, routed gun crews vanished etc...
IIRC that was also a problem with the Red Steel campaign...
No one seemed to have an answer to it. :(
Semper in Primis
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

This is true, at least I think it is. In this instance it doesn't bother me that you'll have to be very careful with your tanks. The campaign doesn't provide a lot of replacement points anyways. The scope of the battles is such that improving the experience levels of your units isn't as much a factor as in a smaller one. Where do I get the latest H2H again??

Tomo
Orzel Bialy

Post by Orzel Bialy »

wulfir wrote:Hi!

One funny thing I noticed in spwaw when toying around with a large size campaign (ironically, it was also Kursk but in the North) was that when you had too many units on the map your crews would disapear.

If a tank crew bailed they would just disapear, routed gun crews vanished etc...
IIRC that was also a problem with the Red Steel campaign...
No one seemed to have an answer to it. :(

I thought the answer to the disappearing units issue was explained by the fact that if these large "monster" scenarios begin maxed out in regard to unit slots...or near the max limit...then after the first series of crews are forced to bail due to the effects of combat...the program simply has to drop the crews out of the game because it has no available slots to keep track with? Image

At least that was the way I took it. Image
M4Jess

Post by M4Jess »

You are correct old Birdman :D

Im making war, not trouble~

Orzel Bialy

I thought so...

Post by Orzel Bialy »

M4 Jess wrote:You are correct old Birdman :D

COOL!!! Where's my prize for having the correct answer? ImageImageImage
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

So I've gotten some response regarding this. Are there no more takers out there?

Tomo
gainiac

Post by gainiac »

Tombstone wrote:So I've gotten some response regarding this. Are there no more takers out there?

Tomo
Well for what it's worth I'm sure as hell interested in playing this one!!!!!!!

My E-Mail Addy: gainiac@yahoo.com

I'd love to play what you have sofar.

Martin
AC

Post by AC »

Tombstone wrote:So I've gotten some response regarding this. Are there no more takers out there?

Tomo
Yes, I would give it a try. Send the file(s) to anaran.covi@tin.it, please.

AC
"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

Return to “SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns”