Opponent required

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
AshTray

Opponent required

Post by AshTray »

I never player with human opponent so if somebody want to teach me a lesson I'm ready to play
afenelon

Post by afenelon »

AshTray wrote:I never player with human opponent so if somebody want to teach me a lesson I'm ready to play

-I´m anxious to fight a human opponent in PW, but I have difficulties in runing the game due to the need of 640K of free memory. If you could help me then we could play.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

afenelon wrote:-I´m anxious to fight a human opponent in PW, but I have difficulties in runing the game due to the need of 640K of free memory. If you could help me then we could play.
afenelon - have a look at the Sticky 'Win XP, Win2000...Pacific War works!!! Read how!!'-thread at the top of this forum.
afenelon

Post by afenelon »

LargeSlowTarget wrote:afenelon - have a look at the Sticky 'Win XP, Win2000...Pacific War works!!! Read how!!'-thread at the top of this forum.

-I use Windows 98....
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

In Windows 98, the keys to getting free DOS memory are the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. Open them with a text editor ("notepad" and "wordpad" both work), and see what TSR programs are being loaded. I personally get good results by deleting everything from both files and then putting

STACKS=0,0

into CONFIG.SYS.

If this doesn't work, open a DOS command window and use the command "MEM /C |MORE" to find out what's using your DOS memory.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
afenelon

Post by afenelon »

Capt. Harlock wrote:In Windows 98, the keys to getting free DOS memory are the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. Open them with a text editor ("notepad" and "wordpad" both work), and see what TSR programs are being loaded. I personally get good results by deleting everything from both files and then putting

STACKS=0,0

into CONFIG.SYS.

If this doesn't work, open a DOS command window and use the command "MEM /C |MORE" to find out what's using your DOS memory.

-I tried it....didn´t work...only 580k of free memory
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Do you know if Drivespace or DoubleSpace are being loaded? If you want to know all the details, enter the command:

MEM /D >FINDTSR.TXT

This will save the details of your DOS memory into a text file called "FINDTSR.TXT", which you can then read over. Or even cut and paste into a posted reply.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
LargeSlowTarget

I have found copies of the autoexec and config files of my Win98-days in my 'ancient PacWar-versions save files' - and I also had deleted (or REMed out) everything in the config and autoexec files and it worked - had over 600k of conventional mem free then.

There is another thread on running older games that need EMS under Win98 at the Tech Support Forum. I'll try to locate the url. There, someone suggests that the config.sys should look like:

device=C:\Windows\Himem.sys
device=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe 4096 RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
Devicehigh=(your cd rom)

Maybe this helps...
LargeSlowTarget

Can find the thread, but strangely enough my browser does not show the correct url when using the forum search function?!? Anyway, search the Tech Support Forum for the user name 'RayM' and you should find the thread I'm talking about.
Capt. Harlock

About EMS memory

Post by Capt. Harlock »

To the best of my knowledge, Pacific War does not require Expanded or EMS memory. (All self-respecting programmers use XMS memory instead.) I would recommend using the NOEMS command instead of RAM on the "device=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe 4096 RAM" line. Better yet, unless you have real-mode drivers that need to be loaded into upper memory, delete the line altogether.

--Victor Hugo

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”