Casualties by Army Group, Army, HQ, and Divisions

Please posts your wishlists, new feature and interface tweak requests here for the developers to review.

Moderator: Joel Billings

GuderianTAT

Casualties by Army Group, Army, HQ, and Divisions

Post by GuderianTAT »

Hello all,

I love this game a lot. It has consumed most of my free time. Playing the large campaign now as the Germans and am having a blast. I love to roleplay and talk about my experiences in the game, however, I think the casualties tab is lacking.

I would like for the player to view casualties and loses by Army Group, Army, HQ, and even divisions in addition to the total numbers. This would allow for players like me to roleplay and follow specific units through the years in game.

What do you all think?
cdsys

Re: Casualties by Army Group, Army, HQ, and Divisions

Post by cdsys »

Right now I use a word document to keep track of the narative/history of my game. I first make a one page operation plan, that looks something like this:

O P E R A T I O N B A R B A R O S S A

Start date: 22 June 1941
Planned end date: winter 1941
Objectives: Destroy Soviet/Red Army and form a line from Arkhangelsk – Astrakhan
Planning:
• Army Group North: Leningrad, Arkhangelsk
o 18th Army: Riga, Tallin (max 1 corps Kurland, West Estonia…), join with 16th to Leningrad
o 4th Panzer group: Kaunas, Daugavpils (week 1), Pskov (week 2), Velikie Luki
o 16th Army: Kaunas, Daugavpils, Pskov, Luga & Novgorad, Leningrad
• Army Group Center: Moskou
o 3rd Panzer group: Minsk (pincer with 2nd pzg, Vilnius to North/East Minsk), Lepel, Vitebsk, Orsha, Smolensk (pincer with 2nd pzg), Road to Moscow
o 2nd Panzer group: Minsk (pincer with 3rd pzg, Vilnius to North/East Minsk), Mogilev/Orsha, cross Dnepr, Smolensk (pincer with 3rd pzg), Road to Moscow
o 9th Army: Destroy Minsk kessel, Minsk, Smolensk, Road to Moscow
o 4th Army: Destroy Minsk kessel, Mogilev-Gomelt
• Army Group South: Ukraine, Rostov, Crimea
o 1st Panzer group: Tarnapol (pincer with 11th Army), Kiev, Road along Dnepr to Dnepropetrovsk
o 6th Army: Kiev, Road along Dnepr to Dnepropetrovsk
o 17th Army: Destroy Lvov kessel, Vinnitsa, Dnepropetrovsk, Zaporozhhye
o 11th Army: Odessa, Nikolaev, Kherson, Sevastopol
Then after each turn (week I make a weekly report). Here is an example:

W E E K L Y R E P O R T
June 22-28 June 1941
Luftwaffe
TOTAL LOSSES 104 (39 KIA)
Soviet Airforce
TOTAL LOSSES 3,397 (1,061 KIA)
German Army
LOSSES
Men 6,541
Guns 92
AFV 17
Russian Army
LOSSES
Men 238,830
Guns 3,763
AFV 1,480
Progress
Army Group North:
18th Army, 271st Infantry Division moved up to 40 miles south west of Riga. Army should move forward and take Riga by next week. Cutting of Kurland and cleaning it up with security forces and at most one corps. The army took part in 13 battles.
16th Army, opened the road to and took Kaunas. Next week it will move up toward Daugavpils following 4th Panzer group. The main railroad from Vilnius to Daugavpils should be taken over. The army took part in 10 battles.
4th Panzer group, moved from Kaunas to Daugavpils. 6th and 8th Panzer Division crossed the main Dvina river into Daugavpils just west of the city. Next week 4th Panzer should move up and capture Pskov. The army took part in 6 battles.
Total Battles: 29
Army Group Center:
3rd Panzer group, created a pincer with 2nd Panzer group. The pincer runs from Vilnius, North and East of Minsk. Creating a large Minsk kessel. Next week 3rd Panzer group should move East toward the land
bridge between the Dnepr and the Divina. The army took part in 4 battles.
2nd Panzer group, created the Southern and Eastern pincer for the Minsk kessel. Next week the Panzer group should move East toward the Dnepr on the Mogilev/Orsha line. The army took part in 10 battles.
9th Army, opened the road to the East for 3rd Panzer group. Next week it should destroy the northern part of the Minsk kessel and move toward Minsk. The army took part in 14 battles.
4th Army, opened the road for 2nd Panzer group. It captured Brest Litovsk. Next week it should destroy the southern part of the Minsk kessel and advance East in the direction of the Dnepr south of Mogilev. The army took part in 5 battles.
Total Battles: 38
Army Group South:
1st Panzer group, was not yet fully activated. Elements took up positions North op Lvov. Next week the Panzer group should move South East to create a kessel with the Romanian Cavalry Corps (part of 11th Army). The army took part in 0 battles.
6th Army moved East over the Bug minor river. It cut the road and railroad from Lvov to Gorokhov. Next week it should move East in the direction of Kiev. The army took part in 13 battles.
17th Army didn’t undertake any large operations. Next week it should start moving East toward Lvov, without pushing enemy formations out of the to be created kessel. The army took part in 2 battles.
11th Army was not yet activated. Next week it should fully activate and help create a kessel with one Corps. The other corps should open the road to the east together with the Romanian armies toward Odessa. The army took part in 0 battles.
Total Battles: 15

I use this to keep track of what my long term goals are, what my goals are for the next week by looking at what happened and describing what I plan to do next...

To create these I have to look at all the forces again and look at what happened compared to the report of the past week and the global plan. So this is how I get more feel for the evolving history you create with the game.

For me it would help if at the end of the week we get a report with the total number of battles an Army/Group took part in the past week (now I have to take that down in excel based on the total number).
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Nice.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
OberstVonWitz

Post by OberstVonWitz »

I suggest you use voice to text in word . Dictation.
TallBlondJohn

Post by TallBlondJohn »

Totally agree that things that help players roleplay are vital, its how the game comes alive for me - not just leaders but units have their own stories to tell. Anything that gives your favourite formations more colour helps.

I think this is why features like planning maps get requested, to help with that immersion. And immersion-breaking things like daft air results and clunky interfaces (sorry to go on and n about that but its my pet hate) get such flak (sorry again). Or I can roleplay that and leave Mr Goering to do his own thing and wreck the Luftwaffe without expecting much from it.

Return to “Feature Suggestions”