Differences between RDOA and HTR ?

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

Rolfor

Differences between RDOA and HTR ?

Post by Rolfor »

Hallo :)

as an owner (and big fan *g*) off the original AA RDOA I would like to know, what are the differences between RDOA and HTR. The screenshots are verry similar. But I don't belive that the guys at Panter-Games only add a new Book-Cover *hehe*.

Greetings
Rolfor
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Hey but it's a lovely book cover! ;)

Check out the HTTR website: here!

It's been over fifteen months since we released RDOA. It feels like a lifetime. IMO the game has been taken to a new level both in terms of interface and AI.

On the interface side of things we have:
  • new map graphics
  • new GUI graphics
  • Fire Support Tab
  • additional fields displayed in unit and commander data
  • intelligence filters
  • unit info box filters
  • unit type filters
  • task perimeters with facing indicator
  • extra task paramters such as Secure Crossing for Attacks
  • side briefings
  • anti-aliased map drawing
  • auto save
  • volume control
  • unit event log

Well that's all my poor tired brain can think of for now. And that's just for the game.

The ScenMaker has had a major facelift. The force list is now in the Side Bar and much easier to navigate. We also have the Estab list in the Side bar as well. We've added perimeters to the objectives, streamlined the objective and unit data entry, provided global parameter settings for selected groups of units and much more. The MapMaker has also had a facelift. There will be no excuses for not designing your own custom scenarios now.

On the AI side of things, heaps have changed, including:
  • major overhaul of attack code
  • arty firebases
  • stand-of tactics for long ranged direct fire units
  • short range indirect units drop off in assault to provide fire spt
  • better deployment on defence
  • construct bridge task
  • new force allocation algorythms
  • new unit reaction code
  • overhauled reasessment code
  • major changes to planning code acros a number of tasks
  • revised formation code

Actually, I just checked our Task Tracker database and nearly died when I saw how many AI tasks have been done. Too many to list here. Needless to say the game is a lot tougher, a lot smarter, and you had better look out. ;)

In addition, we have overhauled the unit estabs. The scernarios provided no longer use the large single battalion units. Their estabs are still there but instead we now provide a HQ and the constituent companies and spt platoons. This has added to the unit count but they provide a much better simulation at the scale of our game.

In fact the force estabs have all been revised and extended. The Gds Arm Gps now have two battalion HQs - one armoured and one mot inf, both with cross attachements and spt units. We have provided extensive new forces. For the Allies there is a complete 30th Corps, including Gds Arm Div, 43rd Inf Div, 40th Inf Div, 52nd Div, 1st Abn Div, 82nd Abn Div, 101st Abn Div, 8th Arm Bde, 4th Arm Bde, Princess Irene Bde and a whole swag of support units including the bridging troops. We have also provided some optional extras including a complete 7th Arm Div and the 15/19 Hussars Regt.

For the Axis we have three Korps, Panzer, FJ and Inf Divs, the 107th Pz Bde a plethora of KGs of all different types and as optional extras complete 1st SS Pz and 2nd Pz Divs. We have also broken up the big composite Flak Bns. They now comprise one 88 Bn, two Lt Flak Btys and 1 Mxd Flak Bty.

We have also added new weapon and vehicle estabs including for Sextons, Hummels, Wespes, Inf Howitzers, Daimler ACs, Stuart Lt Tks etc.

Apart from the new Nijmegen, Eindhoven and Neerpelt scenarios we have revised the suite of Arnhem scenarios. Some have been culled, the remainder redone with the new force structures and revised objectives and victory conditions. These now have quite a different feel to them. We have also added a new one, called the Harder Way, which is a favorite of mine.

Well that's all for now. Must get back to finishing off this game so you guys can see for yourselves. :)
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Rolfor

Post by Rolfor »

Wow ! That's good news!
Thankyou for this extensiv information :)
It's like a whole new game.

I hope, after your excellent work ist done,
Matrix will it make fast into the shops.

Greetings
Rolfor

Return to “Highway to the Reich”