Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW and WW2

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Bamilus

Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW and WW2

Post by Bamilus »

I'm looking for some recommendations on English books that cover the West Front WW2 1944-1945 or American Civil War in a heavier way than popular history and have an emphasis on the military/operations side of things. I'd say in between Richard Overy and David Glantz. Glantz is a bit too detailed for me, but here are some books that I liked the balance/heaviness for comparison:

1. Any of Overy's stuff
2. Robert Citino's stuff
3. Shelby Foote
4. David Stahel's stuff

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
76mm

RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW and WW2

Post by 76mm »

I don't read much about the West Front or Civil War, but one book I would recommend is The Blitzkrieg Legend by Frieser, about the fall of France in 1940. I found it very interesting.

Presumably you're also aware of Atkinson's books, although it sounds like they are a bit on the "light" side of what you're looking for...
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

The Longest Night by David J Eicher

How the North Won by H Herman Hattaway & Archer Jones

Why the South Lost the Civil War by Beringer, Hattaway, Jones and Still.

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I don't read much about the West Front or Civil War, but one book I would recommend is The Blitzkrieg Legend by Frieser, about the fall of France in 1940. I found it very interesting.

Presumably you're also aware of Atkinson's books, although it sounds like they are a bit on the "light" side of what you're looking for...

Yea Ive read Atkinsons trilogy. Its good but Im looking more for operational focused and less on the soldier's diaries/biographical stuff. Blitzkrieg legend is on my wishlist so Im glad to hewr you recommend it. Ive edited post to specify 1944-1945 but I appreciate the feedback.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

Two good books on D-Day operations for the Americans would be Joseph Balkoski's books:
Omaha Beach
Utah Beach

He also wrote a five volume series on the history of the 29th US Infantry Division. I've only read Beyond the Beachhead: The 29th Infantry Division in Normandy

The 29th is known as the Blue and Grey division because it is composed of National Guard units that can trace regimental histories to both Union and Confederate units.

HTH
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

STEPHEN W. SEARS is the author of many award-winning books on the Civil War, including Gettysburg and Landscape Turned Red.
I liked to the gates of Richmond best.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I was going to recommend "Landscape Turned Red," but someone beat me to it! It has lots of maps, and even the paperback version is serviceable.

(I read that book in the mid-1980s, and then played SSI's Battle of Antietam on the C64, and that really fueled my interest in wargames. Sadly, no ACW game since then quite did it for me as BoA did back in the day.)
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

For the western Front 1940, "To Lose a Battle" by Alistair Horne (still the best IMHO, even if "The Blitzkrieg Legend" is based on more modern sources) and "Strange Defeat" by Marc Bloch, written under the Nazi occupation, just before the author was sadly killed by the Germans while he was working for the French resistance.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

The Blitzkrieg Legend
+1
To Lose a Battle
+1

The Center for Military History: Utah Beach to Cherbourg, and Omaha Beachhead.
Decision in Normandy, Carlo DEste [especially good if you are not a fan of Montgomery]
Crusade in Europe, by Ike, although kind of blah and politically correct.
Patton at Bay, John Rickard.
Pendulum of Battle, Christoper Dunphie.
Decision at Strasbourg, David Colley.
Crossing the Rhine, Lloyd Clark.
First to the Rhine, Yeide and Stout. If you agree that Patton was overrated, get this one.
The Lorraine Campaign, Hugh Cole.If you are serious, so is this book.

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Gordon C Rhea has a 5 volume set on Grant's Overland Campaign.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
matt3916

Post by matt3916 »

I think Rhea's works are definitely worth reading.
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: OldSarge

Two good books on D-Day operations for the Americans would be Joseph Balkoski's books:
Omaha Beach
Utah Beach

He also wrote a five volume series on the history of the 29th US Infantry Division. I've only read Beyond the Beachhead: The 29th Infantry Division in Normandy

The 29th is known as the Blue and Grey division because it is composed of National Guard units that can trace regimental histories to both Union and Confederate units.

HTH

Fully agree!
Sieben

Post by Sieben »

I'm reading an educational series of books by Jeffrey W. Hunt entitled "Lee and Meade after Gettysburg". Three books have been published with a fourth to come. They cover the period between when Lee retreated into Virginia after Gettysburg, and the end of the season's campaigning. The period is slighted by most histories because there were no major battles, but the armies were in constant motion, probing, feinting, maneuvering for an advantage. The author goes into the details of those movements, but keeps track of the logistics as well. There is a lot of cavalry fighting and a great overview of what Civil War armies actually did when they weren't fighting huge battles.

I just finished the second volume, which includes the battle at Bristoe Station, the only large infantry fight during the period covered. If you really like Civil War history, I think you'll be fascinated by the military chess match between the generals. Their relationships with their governments is also dealt with. A final volume covering the Mine Run campaign is forthcoming.
I support the Averasboro Battlefield Commission
Preserving the Past for the Future

Return to “General Discussion”