Iraq

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

PvtBenjamin

Iraq

Post by PvtBenjamin »

So my Axis opponent gets one diplo hit 18% on Iraq and I lose 70 pts per turn? Completely Ridiculous.

Markiss

RE: Iraq

Post by Markiss »

This must have happened early in the match, I wonder how many diplo chits your opponent bought to make that happen. If one, they just got lucky. If more, they must have sacrificed a critical tech or aircraft purchase to do it.

In the long run, you have to send troops to conquer Iraq after the coup anyway. Now you have to send them sooner than you wanted to, but things are usually quiet in the Med early.

Hopefully you are able to get Iraq back quickly and mitigate the damage.

Look at the bright side, your opponent could have gotten that lucky big hit on Spain...or the USSR. I think their money could have been better spent..

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Naah that shouldn`t be this easy to do such damage, like taking Copenhagen the turn of the german DoW with the Allies. Doesn`t matter how many chits were involved, one could be enough actually.
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

ORIGINAL: Sugar

Naah that shouldn`t be this easy to do such damage, like taking Copenhagen the turn of the german DoW with the Allies. Doesn`t matter how many chits were involved, one could be enough actually.

1) Iraq was still +2 towards Allies , I'm not sure of the threshold for the convoy ending. Iraq should at least be the same as Sweden +24 and have to go negative for the convoy to end.

2) The Denmark situation certainly needs to be corrected. Hard to believe its still possible.

3) Metz (Maginot) should be entrenched 6.

4) Personally I don't think LRAT capability should be available at all until '41. I'm sure that won't change but France & Canada certainly shouldn't start the game with LRAT capability.

5) If the Allies DOW on Norway the Oslo Garrison should be 5 strength and entrenched. There should be stiffer Diplomatic penalties for Allies DOW Norway.

Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Every producing country shouldn`t be within the range of 1 chit of diplo. The Denmark gambit with the Allies hasn`t been used much in WiE, but in WW1.

Other changes aren`t necessary imho, the balancing seems to be nearly perfect (42:40 Axis:Allies currently in the tourney).

There are always some changes you as Ally and I as Axis wished for, like a second german Mar.-Bomber or Strat.-Bombers taking more damage from fighters, but meh...
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

The UK can lose Iraq convoy on single normal 5% hit too.

If the UK decides to DOW Iraq directly are they going to miss out on getting the Army Jerusalem later? The manual says 'after the coup'.

It appears that the UK also doesn't get the opportunity to impose sanctions if they declare war on Iraq.

A UK declaration of war on Iraq provides an Axis diplo gain for Turkey, and Persia (not concerned about Persia).

Additionally it looks like Italy (if still neutral) also gets a mobilization bonus as well.

-------
I hope the developer takes a look at this and decides to modify it so that the convoy is not lost until Iraq falls into positive Axis influence.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

The UK can lose Iraq convoy on single normal 5% hit too.

If the UK decides to DOW Iraq directly are they going to miss out on getting the Army Jerusalem later? The manual says 'after the coup'.

It appears that the UK also doesn't get the opportunity to impose sanctions if they declare war on Iraq.

A UK declaration of war on Iraq provides an Axis diplo gain for Turkey, and Persia (not concerned about Persia).

Additionally it looks like Italy (if still neutral) also gets a mobilization bonus as well.

-------
I hope the developer takes a look at this and decides to modify it so that the convoy is not lost until Iraq falls into positive Axis influence.

I just had the same, a 5% hit to 15% stopped the Iraq convoy. I guess the threshold is 20% which I can't see how anyone would say that's justifiable. I'm very surprised it still exists.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Hi

I've made a change today so that it will require a minimum of 2 Axis diplomacy hits to move Iraq enough to stop the convoy, providing of course nothing else happens to move Iraq.

Regarding 10th Army, its deployment is not connected to events in Iraq, but it can deploy from May 1941 (the historical date of the coup in Iraq having been April 1941) and it is triggered by the presence of an Axis unit within 5-6 hexes of Alexandria in Egypt, with a 25% chance per turn.

If that doesn't get triggered then it will deploy on the 1st January 1942.

I've made a note to look at the Strategy Guide and potentially update what it says in there about 10th Army.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Thank you Bill.

The term 'minimum 2 Axis diplomacy hits' is rather vague, particularly if you include the 'big hit' chance.
Could you specify what the exact condition would be to trigger the convoy shutting down?

It would also be nice if the UK had the option to use the Impose Sanctions DE if the convoy is shut down, but I won't quibble about excluding it.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

The maximum swing for a diplomacy hit is 24%, so Iraq will now start at 25%, and the convoy itself will just need Iraq to be pro-Allied, i.e. 0% but pro-Allied is fine.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Thank you!

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”