Do you play honestly against the AI?

Moderator: Hubert Cater

DrZom

Do you play honestly against the AI?

Post by DrZom »

I mean with the US Pacific fleet.

Do you keep the fleet outside the 30 (I think) hex range from Midway? Or do you move it closer to Hawaii just before the end of November, 1941? Sure, you get that message that Isolationists are complaining, but you know that their complaints are meaningless; you will soon be at war no matter what.

Is it too tempting to take out three IJN carriers? Or do you resist?

Confession is good for the soul. [;)]
Platoonist

RE: Do you play honestly against the AI?

Post by Platoonist »

I prepare for Pearl Harbor in kind of a passive agressive way. I remove the Marine unit from the big island of Hawaii and replace it with fighter unit so there are two in the area. I try to make sure I have aerial warfare researched so I get the two intercepts. I bump up the flak numbers on all the port hexes on Oahu to the maximum current AA tech will allow.

Havig a few submarines lurking just outside of Pearl doesn't hurt either.[:D]
Alcibiades73

Post by Alcibiades73 »

So the AI does launch an attack vs. Hawaii around December of 1941?
DrZom

Post by DrZom »

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

I prepare for Pearl Harbor in kind of a passive agressive way. I remove the Marine unit from the big island of Hawaii and replace it with fighter unit so there are two in the area. I try to make sure I have aerial warfare researched so I get the two intercepts. I bump up the flak numbers on all the port hexes on Oahu to the maximum current AA tech will allow.

Havig a few submarines lurking just outside of Pearl doesn't hurt either.[:D]

I replace the Marine unit with an AA, and also buff all the ports with AA... and also lurk a sub. And I have a carrier task force just out of that 30 hex range. :) But it is sooooo tempting to close the distance just enough. [:'(]
DrZom

Post by DrZom »

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

So the AI does launch an attack vs. Hawaii around December of 1941?

In every game I have played. Sometimes it is a bit early, I think. But I am still a newbie like you. :)
Alcibiades73

Post by Alcibiades73 »

ORIGINAL: DrZom

In every game I have played. Sometimes it is a bit early, I think. But I am still a newbie like you. :)

So I guess it's easy to anticipate Axis' moves when you play Allies! ;)
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

So I guess it's easy to anticipate Axis' moves when you play Allies! ;)

After you've played the AI a few times you learn to anticipate a lot of things. That's probably why it gets freebies here and there. [:D]
ForzaA

Post by ForzaA »

I mean... define "honestly"?

Yes, it's perhaps a more egregious example, but it's no different in principle from stationing the French army along the Belgian border, shipping South Africans up to East Africa or sending your carriers to Narvik.
Or as more edge case scenarios, diplomatic investment in Yugoslavia or Dutch East Indies

You're using your knowledge of history, and your knowledge of how that's (not) enforced by gameplay rules

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”