der Russlandfeldzug

Please post your after action reports on your battles and campaigns here.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Nix77

RE: der Rußlandfeldzug

Post by Nix77 »

Impressive AAR, keep up the good work!

A comment on gameplay, you're making some really bold and risky moves with the Panzer Groups. Against a human players those lunges probably wouldn't survive unpunished :)

It's hard to judge without the enemy hex map overlay, but seems like some of the motorized unit's advance corridors are covered really sparsely, vulnerable for Soviet hex re-converting and supply disruption.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

You're making exceptional progress, it's clear you are playing very well. I expect as the AI gets more units it may also exploit more of those gaps where it can, but just based on the result I'm seeing you may in fact be ready for the "Challenging" AI!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
tolsdorff

Post by tolsdorff »

Great AAR! A joy to read!

In one of your pictures, next to a column of Panzer 38(t)'s, there is nterestingly on the left, a Panhard 178, a captured french armored recon vehicle. Used in the german army as Panzerspähwagen P 204(f). First time I have seen a picture of it on the front. Thanks for posting

Attachments
bscap0044.jpg
bscap0044.jpg (70.37 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Nou nou, gaat het wel helemaal lekker met je -- Kenny Sulletje
The broken record - Chris
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

ORIGINAL: Repsol

The dotted lines works very well ! [:)]
Thanks !

I am happy it works. I try not to put up pictures with enemy hex on as you can see the grid underneath and I think it ruins the immersion
ORIGINAL: Nix77

Impressive AAR, keep up the good work!

A comment on gameplay, you're making some really bold and risky moves with the Panzer Groups. Against a human players those lunges probably wouldn't survive unpunished :)

It's hard to judge without the enemy hex map overlay, but seems like some of the motorized unit's advance corridors are covered really sparsely, vulnerable for Soviet hex re-converting and supply disruption.

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it [:)]

Regarding the movement of the Panzer Groups it is true that I am taking a lot of risks. I do this due to the fact that I am playing against the AI. Sometimes the Panzers do get cut-off from the rest of the troops but at this stage in the campaign the Germans have the ability to get out of these situations relatively unharmed. Later on though I expect things to get more complicated and probably I will have to exercise a bit more caution [;)]

One of the reasons I am trying to slice through the Soviet defensive lines is to stop the enemy from creating a solid line of defence. This destabilisation of the front have worked in WitE I but from what I've seen so far it is also working but to a lesser extent. The AI appears to be much better. Obviously it is still an AI but it is far smarter and more reasonable than its predecessor.
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

You're making exceptional progress, it's clear you are playing very well. I expect as the AI gets more units it may also exploit more of those gaps where it can, but just based on the result I'm seeing you may in fact be ready for the "Challenging" AI!

I think I am reaching to the point where I will have to be a bit more careful now. Probably I will increase a bit the Soviet numbers in the Game Options screen and see how it plays out
ORIGINAL: tolsdorff

Great AAR! A joy to read!

In one of your pictures, next to a column of Panzer 38(t)'s, there is nterestingly on the left, a Panhard 178, a captured french armored recon vehicle. Used in the german army as Panzerspähwagen P 204(f). First time I have seen a picture of it on the front. Thanks for posting

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it [:)]

It's a good you spotted the French vehicles. There were indeed used in Panzergruppe Guderian in the beginning of the campaign but I am not aware how many actually survived before the end of 1941 (probably not that many)

The picture is a caption from an actual German newsreel of the time, colorized and shown in the BBC series WWII in Colour. If I remember correctly the actual footage is from the area of Smolensk, but please do not quote me on this.

Here is a closeup of a Panzer from the same footage. You can see that this vehicle belongs to 3.Pz.Div. (I have corrected the entry in the previous post to reflect this [;)])

[center]Image[/center]
tolsdorff

Post by tolsdorff »

ORIGINAL: melnibonian

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it [:)]

It's a good you spotted the French vehicles. There were indeed used in Panzergruppe Guderian in the beginning of the campaign but I am not aware how many actually survived before the end of 1941 (probably not that many)

Some more info regarding the Panhard 178:
Apparently some (probably captured in 1942, when Vichy France was occupied) were still in use in december 1944 on the western front. Among others, 2 were used in Sicherungs und Aufklärungs Abteilung 1000 around that time, delegated to the 89th Infantry division.
A 'lot' (no idea how many that means) were in use by the security units fighting against the partisans. There were some upgrades as well, a railway version, a 5 cm gun version with open turret.

Anyway, Good luck with the game!
Nou nou, gaat het wel helemaal lekker met je -- Kenny Sulletje
The broken record - Chris
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

One of the reasons I am trying to slice through the Soviet defensive lines is to stop the enemy from creating a solid line of defence. This destabilisation of the front have worked in WitE I but from what I've seen so far it is also working but to a lesser extent. The AI appears to be much better. Obviously it is still an AI but it is far smarter and more reasonable than its predecessor.

If you set the morale level for the Soviet AI to 110, it will start cheating a bit, and will be able to create solid lines quite easily. To be honest I don't quite like the fact that it's cheating with it's movement abilities, but I do like the challenge it presents! :)

The Soviet AI at 100 morale seems a bit helpless against an aggressive German advance.
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 4: 14-20 July 1941
[/center]

[center]It is no exaggeration to say that the Russian campaign has been won in fourteen days[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Generaloberst Franz Halder is convinced that the war against USSR is all but over[/center]

Heeresgruppe Nord

In the northern sector of the front the Soviets have started digging in front of Leningrad while at the same time they keep applying pressure to our troops in the area around Velikie Luki. 4.Panzerarmee has reached Novgorod but the supply situation is getting precarious. For this reason OKW has decided to halt the advance of the armour units until 18.Armee can catch up. 14.Armee is busy guarding the flank but will start advancing towards Novgorod in support of the armoured units.

[center]Image[/center]

At the moment the situation on this sector of the front is under control but OKW is concerned that it is serious enough that can turn critical. A number of mitigating actions are under consideration at the moment but no decision has been made yet. One thing is certain though. The Soviets are digging in and we need to be prepared for a few weeks of intense fighting if we are to dislodge them and occupy the city.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Flak emplacements in Leningrad protecting Saint Isaac's Cathedral[/center]

Heeresgruppe Mitte

The northern part of Operation Friedrich (nicknamed Kleiner Friedrich) has been a complete success. SS-Inf.Div. mot. Das Reich and 10.Inf.Div. mot. managed to force their way into Smolensk and expelled the Soviet garrison after two days of intense fighting. LVII Pz.Kps in close cooperation with XXXXVI Pz.Kps encircled the city and completed the capturing of the Land Bridge on the Dnepr. XXIV Pz.Kps and XXIX Pz.Kps performed probing attacks pushing the Soviet forces further East, while 9.Armee cleared the massive cauldron created previously on the western bank of the Dnepr. The majority of the Soviet forces put-up only token resistance and surrendered promptly but some units continue to resist. Hopefully they will realise that resistance is futile and lay down their arms within the next few hours, but either way the area is virtually secured. In total Kleiner Friedrich brought us more than 175,000 prisoners.

[center]Image[/center]

Further south XXXXVII Pz.Kps crossed in turn the Sozh, the Bese and the Iput opening a massive gap in the Soviet defences. These attacks aimed in destabilising the Soviet front and stopping the enemy from attempting to assist the beleaguered forces in the Pripyat area.

Per the outlying instructions of Operation Friedrich XII AK, XIII AK and IX AK moved southwards towards Gomel pushing aside very light Soviet resistance in the Pripyat area. These forces were linked with III Pz.Kps and XIV Pz.Kps closing a massive cauldron that trapped approximately 24 Soviet Divisions. XXXV AK is advancing towards the trapped enemy formations from the west and the southern portion of the cauldron is sealed by 6.Armee

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Elements of Schützen-Regiment 3 of 3.Pz.Div. in pursuit of enemy forces in Pochinok[/center]

Heeresgruppe Süd

With the capture of Kyiv and the elimination of the pocket in the region of Lvov the Soviet resistance in the area has all but collapsed. Enemy forces have crossed the Dnepr and are attempting to form a new defensive line blocking the approaches to Kharkov and Dnepropetrovsk. XXXXVIII Pz.Kps advanced towards Pyriatin while 17.Armee, 11.Armee and 3.Rum.Armee are slowly advancing towards the Dnepr bend and Odessa.

[center]Image[/center]

The encirclement of 3 Soviet Armies in the Pripyat area is expected to destabilise the enemy positions although it will take a few days for III Pz.Kps and XIV Pz.Kps to resume the advance towards the Donets Bend. Nevertheless we can expect a couple of weeks of fierce fighting in the approaches of the Donets but now that 1.Panzerarmee has reached open spaces the advance should be rapid.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 13 of 13.Pz.Div. advancing in the Ukrainian plain towards Yagotin[/center]

Operational Summary

Over the last week we have suffered 30,749 casualties (12,755 killed and 17,724 disabled) and lost 500 guns, 127 AFVs and 16 planes. The Soviets have suffered 393,789 casualties (29,729 dead, 281,431 captured and 82,632 disabled) and lost 7,321 guns, 1,518 AFVs and 502 planes. These losses have brought the total casualty rate for the Soviets to 1,493,460 men (177,466 killed and 977,729 captured), 28,303 guns, 7,093 AFVs and 4,393 planes. These losses are truly staggering for such a short period of fighting and give credence to Generaloberst Franz Halder's claims that the campaign is all but settled. Nevertheless OKW now faces a wide array of strategic options and over the next few days a meeting of the Senior Leadership will take place to discuss the different possibilities and put forward the plans for the next stage of the campaign.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]As the advance in the Soviet hinterland progresses the supply convoys are pushed hard to deliver their cargo [/center]

Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Great AAR. Do you have FOW off or are you just doing an insane amount of recon?
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

Thank you for your kind words [:)]

Usually I do a lot of reconnaissance but in the last couple of images I turned FOW off in order to take the pictures and outline the strategic situation.

The game is played with FOW on though
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Thank you for your kind words [:)]

Usually I do a lot of reconnaissance but in the last couple of images I turned FOW off in order to take the pictures and outline the strategic situation.

The game is played with FOW on though

Ah, ok. Makes sense. I'm like "dang thats a ton of recon!"
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

Ah, ok. Makes sense. I'm like "dang thats a ton of recon!"

My standard way of playing is to finish the turn then get back to the end of the previous turn turn FOW on and take the pictures for the AAR.

I am always 2-3 turns ahead of the turns I am posting here
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Thanks for this fine AAR, I just started VS the AI so it`s very helpful.
I assume you did a manual air target selection ?
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Thanks for this fine AAR, I just started VS the AI so it`s very helpful.
I assume you did a manual air target selection ?

Thank you [:)]

Yes I am not using AI Assist on the Air War. All targets and missions are arranged by me
Jango32

Post by Jango32 »

How are your logistics holding up with these big advances?

EDIT:
Two questions question about your turn 1 and turn 2 posts. In the Army Group South screenshot, only III Panzer Korps advanced (near as I can tell). But in the turn 2 screenshot of Army Group South and the text explaining it, XIV Panzer made it all the way to Novogrod-Volynsky. Was turn 1's screenshot taken before the end of the turn?

Also, is 11.Inf.Div. mot. an infantry division that you motorized for the turn?
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 5: 21-27 July 1941[/center]
[center]These Russians seem to have an inexhaustible supply of men. Here they unload fresh troops from Siberia every day, they bring up fresh guns and lay mines all over the place[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Soviet Tanks are preparing for a counterattack against our positions in Smolensk[/center]

Heeresgruppe Nord

Our logistic situation in this part of the front is becoming relatively difficult. 4.Panzerarmee has moved rapidly but spent the last few days resting and consolidating its advanced position. Simultaneously 18.Armee is advancing through Latvia meeting only token resistance as the Red Army appears to withdraw towards Leningrad. 16.Armee has managed to check the Soviet units massing at its flanks but clearly without proper coverage the Novgorod-Velikie Luki line can cause quite a few problems as we are advancing towards Leningrad.

[center]Image[/center]

The Soviets from their part are digging in aiming to defend Leningrad and reconnaissance flights observe constant building of fortifications around the city. A lot of discussions are taking place in OKW about how to handle the situation in the North. A number of different options are available and some decisions will need to be made soon. Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb is in favour of a rapid advance of 4.Panzerarmee towards Narva to isolate the the Soviet 6th and 20th Armies before they manage to reach Leningrad, while at the same time move 16.Armee towards Novgorod to cover the advancing flanks and check the Soviet defence perimeter of the city. Generaloberst Alfred Jodl together with Generalfeldmarschall Walther von Brauchitsch are in favour of using the armoured formations in a pincer movement in coordination with 3.Panzerarmee to encircle the Soviet formations in the areas of Peno, Adreapol, Nelidovo and Rzhev, thus decreasing the front length, eliminating the danger to the flanks of Heeresgruppe Nord and create the stage for a follow-up drive towards Moscow. Generaloberst Erich Hoepner together with General der Infanterie Erich von Manstein advocate for a rapid drive towards Lake Ladoga and capture the ports of Kobona, Novaya Ladoga and Syasstroy thus isolating Leningrad. No decision has been taken at the moment but the debate is fierce an continues.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]General der Infanterie Erich von Manstein discusses the different options for the capture of Leningrad with General der Panzertruppe Erich Brandenberger[/center]

Heeresgruppe Mitte

After the capture of Smolensk and the elimination of the encircled Soviet formations on the west side of the Dnepr 2.Panzerarmee performed an encirclement of the Soviet formations in the area of Roslav. XXXXVI Pz.Kps and XXIV Pz.Kps moved from the North while XXXXVII Pz.Kps moved from the South. In total 4 Cavalry, 13 Infantry, 2 Tank and 1 Mechanised Divisions are located in the pocket. Unfortunately due to significant Soviet resistance and lack of supplies the 2.Panzerarmee has not managed to close the kessel tight so it is expected that some of the entrapped enemy formations will eventually avoid destruction. Fearing enemy advances in the area around Velikie Luki 3.Panzerarmee stayed in reserve and resupplied while 9.Armee and 4.Armee are moving to create a new jump-off line for the eventual drive towards Moscow.

[center]Image[/center]

Further south VII AK managed to capture Gomel and pushed the enemy formations beyond the Desna. The massive encirclement in the Pripyat area is slowly cleared but some enemy formations are still putting fierce resistance. Nevertheless we expect the remaining Soviet formations to capitulate within the next few days.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Elements of Infanterie-Regiment (mot.) 20 of 10.Inf.Div. mot. are resting after hard fighting in Kirov[/center]

Heeresgruppe Süd

Due to the clearing operations in the Pripyat area and the lack of supply 1.Panzerarmee spent the week refitting and covering the Desna and Dnepr crossings as well as the approaches to Kyiv. elements of 6.Armee are moving towards Kyiv to assist in the upcoming advance towards Kharkov and Kursk.

[center]Image[/center]

Further South 17.Armee, 11.Armee and 3.Rum.Armee are facing stiff resistance from entrenched Soviet formations in Nikolaev. The continuous and intertwined rivers of the region make the advance difficult as frontal attacks are truly costly both in men and equipment. LII AK and XXXXIX AK managed to create initial penetrations to the enemy defensive lines. These penetrations were spearheaded by 60.Inf.Div. mot. and 1.Sl.Bde but stiff enemy resistance and lack of supplies stopped the pincers before meeting per the original plan (dashed lines)

[center]Image[/center]
[center]PzKpfw IV of Panzer-Abteilung 33 of 11.Pz.Div. waiting for fuel[/center]

XI Rum.AK and II Rum.AK have reached the outskirts of Odessa and Hu.Kps (mot) have managed to cross the Sinyukha and create a bridgehead. These advances are painfully slaw due to the lack of armour so OKW is having discussions on how best to utilise 1.Panzerarmee. So far though no decision has been made.

[center]Image[/center]

Operational Summary

During this week we suffered 28,471 casualties (10,947 dead, 20 captured and 17,774 disabled) and lost 408 Guns, 64 AFVs and 3 aircrafts. The Soviets lost 188,608 men (19,646 dead, 124,686 captured and 44,276 disabled), 3,178 Guns, 472 AFVs and 330 planes. It is alarming to see the ratio of men killed in action to be reduced to almost 1:2, something indicating the stiffening of the Soviet resistance.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Soviet prisoners are marched to the rear while German troops advance in Gomel[/center]

melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

ORIGINAL: Jango32

How are your logistics holding up with these big advances?

As you can see from the report of Turn 5 I am facing logistical problems. I managed to link Minsk to the rail network but I am was forced to have two Panzer Groups (1&3) idle in order to have them fully supplied for the next part of the advance. Next turn we will need to drive deep, very deep into enemy territory

EDIT:
Two questions question about your turn 1 and turn 2 posts. In the Army Group South screenshot, only III Panzer Korps advanced (near as I can tell). But in the turn 2 screenshot of Army Group South and the text explaining it, XIV Panzer made it all the way to Novogrod-Volynsky. Was turn 1's screenshot taken before the end of the turn?

If I remember correctly one of the units of XIV Panzer did move in T1 and then in T2 reached Novogrod-Volynsky. I did not explained properly in the text and I apologise for this. Will be more careful in the future [;)]

Also, is 11.Inf.Div. mot. an infantry division that you motorized for the turn?

Indeed this is the case

melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 5: 21-27 July 1941 [/center]
[center]Disaster in Vilnius [/center]
[center]I have only a few words. He was one of the best National Socialists, one of the strongest defenders of the German Reich idea, one of the biggest enemies of all the enemies of the Reich. He is a martyr. He died for the preservation and protection of the Reich.[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]General der Infanterie Erich von Manstein (24 November 1887 – 29 July 1941) [/center]

Shocking news are coming out of the Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda this morning. General der Infanterie Erich von Manstein (Oberbefehlshaber LVI Pz.Kps) and General der Infanterie Hans-Gustav Felber (Oberbefehlshaber XIII AK) were killed in a terrible accident in Vilnius. Another 7 Officers and 3 crew members also perished in the accident.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]The remains of the tragic Ju-52 in Vilnius airfield[/center]

Although details of the accident are still unknown it is understood that both Generals with some trusted staff were onboard a Ju-52 bound for Vilnius airfield when the plane suffered some type of catastrophic failure and crashed during its approach just 1.2Km from the final destination. The impact was severe and everyone onboard died instantly.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]OKW and frontline Commanders get together for a strategy conference in the Wolfsschanze[/center]

General der Infanterie Erich von Manstein and General der Infanterie Hans-Gustav Felber were among the frontline commanders that were called by OKW in Wolfsschanze for detailed discussions regarding the strategic objectives of the Campaign in the East. After the meeting they were both scheduled to arrive in Vilnius after which they would have proceeded to their respective commands. Their loss is truly tragic and the war effort has suffered a terrible blow.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]State Funeral of General der Infanterie Hans-Gustav Felber[/center]

Both were given state funerals in Berlin with full military honours.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Funeral procession of General der Infanterie Erich von Manstein[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]The Führer is giving a eulogy in General der Infanterie Erich von Manstein's funeral[/center]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] In game Manstein died on Turn 4 during the attack on Novgorod (no idea how and what he was doing so close to the frontline) but I have decided to spin it as a side story
[2] In game Hans-Gustav Felber died in Turn 2 but realised it when I saw that Manstein died [&:] So since we have two Generals dead I thought of coming-up with the plane crash story for immersion.

carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Which is bringing up a disturbing trend in my games where in the last four games as the Axis I have lost Manstein on turn 4 or 5.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

I dislike alamy. Not their pics of course. They seem to just be a group of vultures. They're as bad as Critical Path on YouTube.
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Which is bringing up a disturbing trend in my games where in the last four games as the Axis I have lost Manstein on turn 4 or 5.

Dang!!!!
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004

Return to “After Action Reports”