Why does Russia start with Heavy Bombers Tech activated?

Strategic Command is back, and this time it is bringing you the Great War!

Moderator: MOD_Strategic_Command_3

stockwellpete

Why does Russia start with Heavy Bombers Tech activated?

Post by stockwellpete »

Any ideas?
Dazo

RE: Why does Russia start with Heavy Bombers Tech activated?

Post by Dazo »

Hi stockwellpete,

That's because it was one of those rare areas where Russians actually had a research/production lead.
They had the only true heavy bomber (four engines) at the start of the war, the Sikorsky Ilya Muromets (2 planes to 10 at the end of 1914, 73 for the whole war).
That also explains why they get an unit of heavy bombers by event later.
FYI: they could carry around 1,100 lbs of bombs while the best next one (French Voisin III) could only carry 200.

stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

OK thanks, Dazo. I didn't know that.[:)] So perhaps they should have some de-entrenching capability for aircraft whereas other countries should not?
Bavre

Post by Bavre »

Imho the Russians are also those that get the most mileage out of heavy bombers. Bombing the odd point off one of the towns along their rail lines (like Baranovichi or Shitomir) while retreating can actually slow the German advance quite a bit. Until they come up with fighters, that is.

Edit:
This autocensoring is hilarious [:D]
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

ORIGINAL: Bavre

Imho the Russians are also those that get the most mileage out of heavy bombers. Bombing the odd point off one of the towns along their rail lines (like Baranovichi or Shitomir) while retreating can actually slow the German advance quite a bit. Until they come up with fighters, that is.

Edit:
This autocensoring is hilarious [:D]

I love the Russian Heavy Bomber. :))
Its very useful interdicting the Ottoman supply network for one, and/or disrupting rail junctions.

aS for the auto-censoring....take a peak at the SC-WW1 Steam Discussion page...or try to type 'Montenegro'.[:D]
I mean, this is an independent country. What are we supposed to type, 'the country Formally Known as Black Mountain' ???
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
Dazo

Post by Dazo »

ORIGINAL: stockwellpete

OK thanks, Dazo. I didn't know that.[:)] So perhaps they should have some de-entrenching capability for aircraft whereas other countries should not?

Well, it's possible as they were used to bomb frontlines at times though they had other missions like reconnaissance ^^ .
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Dazo

Hi stockwellpete,

That's because it was one of those rare areas where Russians actually had a research/production lead.
They had the only true heavy bomber (four engines) at the start of the war, the Sikorsky Ilya Muromets (2 planes to 10 at the end of 1914, 73 for the whole war).
That also explains why they get an unit of heavy bombers by event later.
FYI: they could carry around 1,100 lbs of bombs while the best next one (French Voisin III) could only carry 200.

Thanks for bringing up some details on this interesting aircraft. The damn things were practically invulnerable, since the Germans only shot down ONE during the entire war, and that took 4 Albatros, three of which perished with the bomber.

But in terms of output, they dropped 65K tons of bombs in total for the entire war which is about 80 planeloads, and just a fraction of a typical mid-war artillery bombardment. And remember, bombsight technology in this era was primitive at best. So pretty good for recon, but it's a stretch to imagine them doing much damage (well, other than to enemy fighters!)
OldCrowBalthazor

ORIGINAL: Kull

Thanks for bringing up some details on this interesting aircraft. The damn things were practically invulnerable, since the Germans only shot down ONE during the entire war, and that took 4 Albatros, three of which perished with the bomber.

That must of been one helluva fight!

SC-ACW Beta Tester
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

ORIGINAL: Kull

But in terms of output, they dropped 65K tons of bombs in total for the entire war which is about 80 planeloads, and just a fraction of a typical mid-war artillery bombardment. And remember, bombsight technology in this era was primitive at best. So pretty good for recon, but it's a stretch to imagine them doing much damage (well, other than to enemy fighters!)
Sikorsky Ilya Muromets

Perhaps not de-entrenchment then, but certainly the occasional strength point hit.
OldCrowBalthazor

So...for me anyway...the only country that I bother with heavy bombers is with Russia, of course. I have been able to break the supply of the Ottomans in the Caucasus..especially when the Turks are trying to form a secondary line after Ezerum is taken. Its also useful for bombing the Zondalak mine, and spotting the interior.

A few opponents of mine who were Entente used the Russian heavy bombers effectively on the mine just east of the Polish border...and as RR junction interdictors and spotters as I pushed forward into Russia proper. I usually had the bulk of the CP's airpower on other fronts...and even then, if I put a fighter against these monsters, it was ineffective.

Also, I believe Dazo mentioned that the Russians can get a second hvy bomber by event. So its reasonable to do some modest research on these if the Russian player chooses to keep them in play early on in the War.

SC-ACW Beta Tester
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Just to clarify: Russia receives a Heavy Bomber in its Production Queue in February 1915, but that's it in the official campaigns, there is no further event providing them with another.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Dazo

Post by Dazo »

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor
Also, I believe Dazo mentioned that the Russians can get a second hvy bomber by event. So its reasonable to do some modest research on these if the Russian player chooses to keep them in play early on in the War.

My bad, wrong choice of words using "by event", was just talking about that "free" heavy bomber coming from the production queue as said by Bill !
OldCrowBalthazor

ORIGINAL: Dazo

My bad, wrong choice of words using "by event", was just talking about that "free" heavy bomber coming from the production queue as said by Bill !

My bad too...but yes, that second Hvy Bomber Wing for the Russians that is teched up a bit are truly useful monsters!
btw..I believe I just found a period painting of the four Austrian Albatrosses vs one Ilya Muromets II. Looks like two of the Albatrosses are missing ..........

Attachments
IllyaMuro..Tresize.jpg
IllyaMuro..Tresize.jpg (69.18 KiB) Viewed 383 times

SC-ACW Beta Tester

Return to “Strategic Command: World War I”