population migration and work

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

yutowap33

population migration and work

Post by yutowap33 »

What cause population migration and how can I affect it?!

Specifically I, want to understand why 10k population has left my capital half of them going to new zone.
* My capital has high QOL and lacks 15k private workers.
* My new and incorporated zone, has low QOL and 50k people without jobs.
BlueTemplar

RE: population migration and work

Post by BlueTemplar »

What are the population incomes and worker salaries in both zones ?
redrum68

Post by redrum68 »

I've had the same thing happen and really have no idea how it works. Often it seems to make little or no sense.
yutowap33

Post by yutowap33 »

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar
What are the population incomes and worker salaries in both zones ?

Capital public 0.01cr
Capital Private 0.01cr
Zone Public 0.01cr
Zone private 0.007cr

Capital private Population 45k (-3k last turn)
Capital private Jobs 60k
Zone private Population 149K (+5K last turn)
Zone private Jobs 91k
ORIGINAL: redrum68

I've had the same thing happen and really have no idea how it works. Often it seems to make little or no sense.

same I don't understand this nor do I seem to have any tools to affect this.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

And how many public jobs ?
Hazard151

Post by Hazard151 »

Migration appears to be mostly driven by the percentage of jobs filled. This gives really weird results at times, with zones sucking in large chunks of population even though population happiness and other conditions should instead drive population away from the city.

Which, mind you, it does, when the population happiness drops low enough. I've had times where a newly conquered and nuked city sucked basically my entire empire dry of population because everybody who went there either died of the radiation or fled into the hinterlands to join the Free Folk because they were pissed everybody was dying of radiation. But it never seems to drive the population towards your other, happier cities the way it should.
yutowap33

Post by yutowap33 »

This migration rush to new zones make little sense, think mass migration from Washington DC to Bagdad after Iraq war, because reconstruction jobs!? Also annoying after spending all that time to manage our economy. Either cultural adaptation score should be a barrier to migration or there should be an option to prevent migration to a zone.

@BlueTemplar, I have no access to the game right now, but iirc the new zone had demand for public workers, but it wasn't high as I turned off everything to get the rail station built, couple of thousand at most FAR FAR bellow the 50k of jobless already present in the city.
stryc

Post by stryc »

I don't fully understand this system either but I do observe thousands of pops abandoning 'the good life' for a radioactive meat grinder. It makes no sense at all.

Something, somewhere, seems to be quite broken with migration.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

A high Private Salary should be a large factor to have Private Citizens move. That one is primarily driven by having a lot of private jobs, but not nearly enough population. It will also mean that Private Construction is paused until enough private workers are avaliblibe.

I think public workers have a seperate Migration mechanic. If you can not fill the Public Worke demand locally (not enough people or very low worker happiness), people can move to become public workers from other cities. It think the only part that maters is that the new Public Salary > current Private Salary.

But as was said: Migration does not seem to account for happiness. At all.
shabowie

Post by shabowie »

This is a thing in the beta maybe? I also am having 100k city that loses about 2-6k population every turn going to newly conquered zones with lower QOL and then from here they seek a better life elsewhere usually out of the worker pool. As the population drains out various private sector qol buildings are slowly mothballed by the private economy AI. Whole thing makes no sense from a role play or numbers perspective my capital zone had a mid 30s QOL good wages etc etc before the collapse into the newly conquered territory started.
Mina

Post by Mina »

It's weird, because most of the time migration behaves itself, but I've had two cities in my current game that just started drawing in thousands of pop a turn from everywhere else for some reason. For one of them I had to start spamming forced recruiting cards to try and bring the population down, which screwed my logistics for like 10 turns because it got gummed up trying to bring all those recruits from the zone's inventory into the SHQ inventory.
Maerchen

Post by Maerchen »

Someone had a workaround on steam forums. He immediatly colonized a new zone and drew the zone borders so that only the new zone was bordering the *Baghdad ruins*. That fixed the migration for him.

I will give that a try, soon.
The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.
GazBot

Post by GazBot »

Ive seen this before back to V1.5 Beta 9

Population from the wider empire just gets sucked into a zone that has catastrophic issues - thus your whole empires population (or the neighboring zones - which was the whole empire - about 4 zones in total) just gets whacked. Also the problem zone doesnt get a chance to recover becasue the flood of continuous pop doesn't let the situation stabilize - so you get this sequence;

-Very low pop happiness leads to all your workers leaving
-In the case above this leads to cut in food production
-this leads to hunger and starvation
-this exacerbates the hunger, happiness etc...
-More pop keep flooding the troubled zone thus exacerbating the above

I think this is certainly a bug - Ill see if I can post it in the bugs section.....

shabowie

Post by shabowie »

I went back about 10 turns on my saves and was able to pull out of the nosedive by enabling emergency food and mass building larger publicly owned QOL buildings like hospitals and vidcasting.

So the original situation was starting to stabilize in about five turns or so, then later in the same game I took a second large and relatively intact city with a lightning attack and the old “drain city” is now stuck between two larger cities with better economies and higher QOL and the pop is draining out of the city in the middle at the rate of 5-6k a turn.

And plus there should be some kind of warning of a mass exodus from your cities like that.
shabowie

Post by shabowie »

I have a game with cities where various private QOL establishments are mothballed and the AI is assigning workers to high level private farms even though food doesn't seem to be an issue and I have emergency food enabled. I am bleeding pops to a large newly conquered zone still in this ongoing game.

Have to say though I am having fun though having had a relatively stable 2 to now 4 zone empire and 3 short victorious wars with 1 minor and 2 major neighbors.
newageofpower

Post by newageofpower »

ORIGINAL: shabowie

I have a game with cities where various private QOL establishments are mothballed and the AI is assigning workers to high level private farms even though food doesn't seem to be an issue and I have emergency food enabled. I am bleeding pops to a large newly conquered zone still in this ongoing game.

Have to say though I am having fun though having had a relatively stable 2 to now 4 zone empire and 3 short victorious wars with 1 minor and 2 major neighbors.
This is a bug that Vic has addressed in the current Beta. Look around the forum for the Beta.
shabowie

Post by shabowie »

This is happening on the current matrix beta version.
newageofpower

Post by newageofpower »

ORIGINAL: shabowie

This is happening on the current matrix beta version.
1.07.07b?

Good news, Citizen Unpaid-Beta-Tester! You have discovered another bug! Email the Savegame to Vic and let him know the bugfix hasn't actually fixed the bug.
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

I'm trying "Recruit if shortage, never fire" to see how that works. Presumably, the zone will retain the construction workers as asset workers and the remainder are available for the next construction project.
Hazard151

Post by Hazard151 »

You'd think that. But all that means is that they aren't fired when there's a surplus of workers. They can still leave if they want, and at low worker loyalty, they will.

Return to “Shadow Empire”