People War Games (Jack Radey) Korsun Pocket

Korsun Pocket is a the second game using the award winning SSG Decisive Battles game engine. Korsun Pocket recreates the desperate German attempt to escape encirclement on the Russian Front early in 1944. The battle is a tense and exciting struggle, with neither side having a decisive advantage, as the Russians struggle to form the pocket, then try to resist successive German rescue efforts and last ditch attempts at breakout.
radegast

People War Games (Jack Radey) Korsun Pocket

Post by radegast »

Anyone out there familiar with the cardboard and paper board game from designer Jack Radey which deals with Korsun Pocket?

A massive board game (the board is approx 2 * 2 metres) about 1200 playing pieces and 800 markers it was (is) a wealth of information about the battle.

Unfortunately unplayable, I remember trying a scenario with the 16 and 17 Pz divisions on the Gnoloi Tisich ((sp?) I think) where each hex seemed to have about 15 counters on it! Not good for the shaky hands!

The opening breakthrough and encirclement scenarios were a little easier to handle, but even so mega complex. Cried out for computer power I even went as far as to program a (then) state of the art calculator for combat odds calculation to ease the burden a little.

The rules went as far as modeling different types of ammo supply for different classes of artillery, and some units were represented down to the company level!

Jack's games were always amongst the most enjoyable for me, not least because of the irreverent manner in which his rules were written, to the extent tht at one point it states that if your opponent does x you are permitted to beat him round the head!

Unfortunately, Jack dedicated Korsun Pocket to the 'Brave men and women of the Red Army who gave their lives in the Great Patriotic War' and was immediately branded a communist! This made him somewhat of a pariah in the community, which in the seventies seemed to comprise, at least in the US, solely of fascists. Makes one wonder where the world would have been if the Great Patriotic War had never been fought.

Jack did a number of other games, the most relevant to Korsun being Kanev, the paradrop over the Dnieper and Kirovograd, the precursor to Korsun.

I've still got these games somewhere, must dig them out for comparison.

Edited for typos.
Get your retaliation in first!
julianbarker

Post by julianbarker »

I used to have a copy when it came out. Like you I found it unplayable.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

I have a mint copy. What's it going for?
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

A boxless copy was spotted at Gen Con a couple of weeks ago for $135...not sure if it got sold though.

Chris
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Kent Pfeiffer

Post by Kent Pfeiffer »

Originally posted by Capitaine
I have a mint copy. What's it going for?

If you are going to sell it, do it soon, because L2 Design Group is publishing an updated edition sometime in the next 6-12 months.:)
Snigbert

Post by Snigbert »

A boxless copy was spotted at Gen Con a couple of weeks ago for $135...not sure if it got sold though.

That's pretty steep. The most I've paid for a board game is $130 for an unopened copy of Beyond Valor for ASL (it's out of print, got it on ebay).

What's the most you guys have paid for a game?
"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the
Wilhammer

Post by Wilhammer »

I played his Black Sea Black Death game once.

Loved the paratrooper rules; hold counter 3-6 inches above map and drop. If it lands upside down, it takes a casualty and is disrupted.
julianbarker

Post by julianbarker »

I remember paying about £40 for AH Longest Day when it first came out. As I was earning about £100 a week then, it has to be the most I have paid for a game.
HannoMeier

Post by HannoMeier »

I think that would be about $250 for the SPI War in Europe new edition from Decision Games. (WWII divisional scale with unit production 9 maps 4000 counters). That will be probably topped be the new SPI War in the Pacific edition. That should be about $300.

A very rare game is the Hobby Japan edition of Last Gamble (Ardennes 1944). Market price is over $500.

Regards,

Hanno
HannoMeier

Post by HannoMeier »

I was looking for the Korsun Pocket boardgame. But I wanted a boxed copy - which I didn't find for quite some time. I was nearly convinced to pay the $150-$200 market price for it, when I located a guy at a German wargaming convention, who wanted to sell a punched boexd copy for $15 - a steal. Now its mine and I have the situation maps next to me when I play SSG's Korsun Pocket.

Hanno
Matt Erickson

Post by Matt Erickson »

Originally posted by Snigbert

That's pretty steep. The most I've paid for a board game is $130 for an unopened copy of Beyond Valor for ASL (it's out of print, got it on ebay).

What's the most you guys have paid for a game?

Hmm...I have a copy of that too unpunched too...also have red radeys game too along with about a couple of hundred others as well
I loved collecting them:) anyone heard of streets of stalingrad two maps company level phoenix games I wonder what this is worth now?
julianbarker

Post by julianbarker »

I've got one of them - I kept that one. Lovely simple and elegant system, but it is still hard work pushing all those counters and rolling all those dice! Still, it is a fun game.

However, company Level Battle of Stalingrad is always going to be hard work!
Kent Pfeiffer

Post by Kent Pfeiffer »

Originally posted by Matt Erickson
anyone heard of streets of stalingrad two maps company level phoenix games I wonder what this is worth now?

Not that much ($50-$100), because L2 released deluxe edition late last year. It pretty much made the Phoenix Games version obsolete.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Originally posted by Hanno Meier

A very rare game is the Hobby Japan edition of Last Gamble (Ardennes 1944). Market price is over $500.

Regards,

Hanno

Just checked my copy after seeing this but it's the 3W version. :(
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Matt Erickson

Post by Matt Erickson »

hey kent you have any kinda link for that game? as for hobby japan didnt know they released a bulge game but I do have thier 45 budapest game...final agaony I think its called.
Matt Erickson

magazine games

Post by Matt Erickson »

one of my favorite titles as well as companys was a title called 48th panzer corps dealing with the german defence on the river chir, very cool game unusaul game system.
Kent Pfeiffer

Post by Kent Pfeiffer »

hey kent you have any kinda link for that game? as for hobby japan didnt know they released a bulge game but I do have thier 45 budapest game...final agaony I think its called.

Sure, it's l2designgroup.com from Canada (Toronto?). The bad news is they don't take credit card orders, but they do accept Paypal or checks. Last I heard, they were down to less than 200 copies, in spite of the $170.00 price tag. Also, if you order now, it will likely be awhile before it gets shipped because they are starting to ship updated versions of The Russian Campaign and Bitterwoods just this week.
Matt Erickson

oh yeah!

Post by Matt Erickson »

Hey... very cool they cleaned up the map a bit but it still looks very good!...price is a little steep but I'm gonna chew on this thanks for the link!:)
Spaceman

Re: magazine games

Post by Spaceman »

one of my favorite titles as well as companys was a title called 48th panzer corps dealing with the german defence on the river chir, very cool game unusaul game system.

Hey Matt, me too! Wow, I am not the only one!

Looks like lots of Grognards here, very cool, but I did not know about L2 and I am very happy to find out. Excellent, thank you.

Personally I have old Squad Leader, stopped because refused to start again just because they brought out ASL. Also several old SPI and AH games, and more recently a lot of GMT Games (a mized bag - hate the tactical series, it is just so UGLY), and current favourites The Gamers Operational Combat Series. Hoping to mod some of these as scenarios for DBWWIIKP, if I ever get 1) the game, and 2) time.

Cheers

Space§man
Matt Erickson

Post by Matt Erickson »

I know the guy at gmt gene billingsly used to bump into him when I went to game conventions in los angelas he let me sleep on the floor of his hotel room, rather than drive 150 miles back to santa barbra at 4 in the morning nice guy.

Return to “Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket”