TOS WS won't run

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

Mark VH

TOS WS won't run

Post by Mark VH »

Here is what I get when I try to run TOS...

TOS_WS caused an invalid page fault in
module TOS_WS.EXE at 0167:00401a3e.
Registers:
EAX=10000001 CS=0167 EIP=00401a3e EFLGS=00210286
EBX=00000010 SS=016f ESP=00b1fde8 EBP=00b1ff78
ECX=00401a38 DS=016f ESI=00b1ff78 FS=110f
EDX=bffc9564 ES=016f EDI=00401650 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
81 87 03 00 00 02 c6 81 9b 03 00 00 0e c7 81 93
Stack dump:
00401bad bffc9490 00b1ff78 00401650 bffc9490 00000000 004026af 00000010 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 bff70000 00b1ff78 00b1ff78 00b1ff78

Here is what is in the tos_ws_log.txt...

CC [Tue Jun 24 18:46:42 2003]
Error initialising sound: Failed to init digital sound driver

CC [Tue Jun 24 18:46:42 2003]
CC:Sound initialization failed!

CC [Tue Jun 24 18:46:59 2003]
CC:Sound initialization failed!

CC [Tue Jun 24 19:44:08 2003]
Error while initializing/loading AVI-File <Error initializing video decompressor!>: images/TOS_Intro.avi

CC [Tue Jun 24 19:45:11 2003]
Error while initializing/loading AVI-File <Error initializing video decompressor!>: images/TOS_Intro.avi
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Please ignore the logfile in the root folder.

Whats in data/logs/tos_ws_log.txt ?

At which point does it crash ? Did it play any intro ?
Marga

Re: TOS WS won't run

Post by Marga »

Originally posted by Mark VH
Here is what I get when I try to run TOS...

TOS_WS caused an invalid page fault in
module TOS_WS.EXE at 0167:00401a3e.

Here is what is in the tos_ws_log.txt...

It would be of great help if you could give us more detailed information on how the error occured. As Larkin already said: only the tos_ws_log.txt file in the /data/logfiles diretory is important.

There is a tcc.cfg file in the /data/config directory. Plase open it with a text file editor.

Please go to the [TOS_WS_GENERAL] section at the end of the file.

It has some entries with which to set certain game properties:

[TOS_WS_GENERAL]
keyboard = 0
keyboard_default = 0
sound_at_all = yes
music_at_all = yes
intro_at_all = yes

Change the entries
1) sound_at_all = yes
2) music_at_all = yes
3) intro_at_all = yes

to

1) sound_at_all = no
2) music_at_all = no
3) intro_at_all = no

As the first step please change all three properties to "no".

If afterwards tos_ws.exe runs without an error, set the properties to yes one after the other and start tos_ws.exe in between to be able to identify which of the settings causes any problems.

Property 1) stops all sounds in the game. This could help to identify whether there is any problem with the sound or the soundcard.
Property 2) stops only the music in the game. This might help to identify any music streaming problems.
Property 3) avoids playing the intro-avi files. This might help to identify problems with the avi files or the codec playing the avi.

If - after all that - tos_ws.exe ist still not running we have to get more details about the configuration of your computer, the operating system and hardware that you are using.

Thank you
Up The (UNDEAD)- Irons
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

Best you can do is please attach your DirectX Dialog file to a reply here.

Search on your Operation System partitions for a file called:

dxdiag.exe

You can generally find it in the "system32" folder of your OS's directory.

Run the dxdiag.exe, perform all checks and test and then clikc on "save all information", save to your desktop and attach the TXT file to your reply.

That will make it possible for us to check your hardware and driver versions properly. Thanks.
Mark VH

Post by Mark VH »

The menu screen comes up, and when I click on the text that would launch the game, I get the error messagebox with the text I described above. There is no animation.

There is no logfile under under data\logfiles, just a file named holder.txt.

I changed the lines in the config file as instructed above, but was given the same error.

I have attached the dx testfile, and I see that it has the information about my system. It seems that all the tests were successful.
Attachments
dxdiag.txt
(33.93 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Marc von Martial

Thanks,

I´ll check the file.

IN the meantime. Did you try to start the game directly from the EXE ? Go in to the games directory and start the game directly via the TOs exe. See if that helps. I assume you allready tried uninstalling and reainstalling it.

Cheers, Marc
Mark VH

Post by Mark VH »

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, and I tried launching the exe directly, and it has the same results.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Can you tell us the exact name of your CD drive you are using to start the game. Perhaps its an issue with it and the copy protection.
Mark VH

Post by Mark VH »

For the last few days, the programmer, Kai S., has been in personal correspondence with me. He was able to identify the problem and I am playing now. I just wanted to publicly say that I am impressed with the support, and am enjoying the game. Good job.
Marc von Martial

Kai,

can you please post here what exactly solved the problem. That would be helpfull for others that might encounter the same problem.
Marga

Post by Marga »

Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
Kai,

can you please post here what exactly solved the problem. That would be helpfull for others that might encounter the same problem.

Actually the problem is related to the copyprotection software.

Matrix Games is currently working on this task and I'm pretty sure we will get the copyprotection to work with any system soon.

In fact this problem seems to have occurred only once so far, so I have no doubt that we won't have deal too much with this.
Up The (UNDEAD)- Irons
Bakaneko

Post by Bakaneko »

Originally posted by Marga
Actually the problem is related to the copyprotection software.

Matrix Games is currently working on this task and I'm pretty sure we will get the copyprotection to work with any system soon.

In fact this problem seems to have occurred only once so far, so I have no doubt that we won't have deal too much with this.

Hm, well, every time I attempt to run the program I get a "This program cannot be run without the original CD in the drive" popup so I suspect the problems with the copy protection are a bit more widespread.
Iskandar

Post by Iskandar »

yeah, I find it rather silly that in most cases that copy protection actually stops more legitimate users from using a product then it actually stops pirates from copying it.

I too have one of those CD ROM drives that the copy protection (of several games, not just TOS) does not like.

I also have an 80 gig hard drive.

So, I do a little research on the internet, find a no CD crack, rip said CD into a ISO, mount said ISO in a virtual drive, install the crack, and voila, no more problems.

Not only do I actually get to play a game I actually paid for (novel concept, that), but without the CD copy protection screwing things up, I usually get a fairly decent speed boost out of the deal.

I've been a computer gamer since, eh, the late 80's. I've got a collection of games on CD's numbering about 150 to 250, more on floppy disk (somewhere). I've been waiting almost 20 years for game companies to wake up a realize that in most cases any form of copy protection, whether manual based or actually based somewhere on the disc, are doing more harm to actual legitimate owners of their products, then it is doing any good at slowing down poeople illegally copying and using said software.

And now I'm ranting.

Sorry.

(and just to shut up the inevitable question. I am not a pirate. I have bought virtually every piece of computer software I use (not counting the dozen or so games I've downloaded from Home of the Underdogs). I just really really hate going out and spending 30 to 60 dollars, getting home, installing the game, and getting the message "Please insert the correct CD-ROM in the drive and try again".)
cyavhn

Post by cyavhn »

i had asked specifically from a beta tester whether WS would run from the hard disk...because i had a game (crime cities) that required an original CD to be in the hard drive and i really hated that...when i installed WS and fired it up, i got the popup requesting the original CD, so i have just left the CD in the drive as i play pretty frequently...but now as i understand it, this is some kind of a mistake caused by anti-piracy safeguards...i hate having to have the CD in the drive, it really bugs me...is there a fix a la kai...?

Return to “Tech Support”