Always major next to me on start = autowin

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

Jorgas

Always major next to me on start = autowin

Post by Jorgas »

So in every single game on normal, hard and above I get a major next too me, within a few turns I own their starting city and it's pretty much already a "game over you're won this game close game"

rolling 30 minutes = a decent fun planet
playing 10 minutes = won game

anyone else see this problem?

please add a "minimum* starting location distance" from another major player. It's pointless to keep going a game, when you pretty much start with 2 cities, within turn 10 and the AI 1.
bvoid

RE: Always major next to me on start = autowin

Post by bvoid »

Turn on Nemesis mode, then report back please.
Jorgas

Post by Jorgas »

Keep on Topic please.
bvoid

Post by bvoid »

Well then you have the opposite situation from me. Starting next to Nemesis on extreme is not an autowin.
demiare

Post by demiare »

Dunno, dunno, dunno. Maybe you're just lucky? Hard (not even nemesis!) AI unleashed a light tank brigade on me at turn 5 and if not lucky Romulus... Well, it was a very uneasy few turns.

Without lucky finds and abusing AI flaws (like luring out their units from cities) I can't say AI is easy target on Hard+.

Definitely want to know how you're capable to deal with Nemesis (!) on hard+ in 10 turns.
Jorgas

Post by Jorgas »

Keep on topic please.
demiare

Post by demiare »

ORIGINAL: Jorgas
and prayed that RNG would give me GR-tanks, which one of the villages did give me, and a shield gen, and a bunch of the 3 infantry troops.

LOL. First you're very lucky. Second dunno how you're capable to "chew raiders" with militia units on Hard+, as raiders, slavers and nomads are too tough for them, they're capable to defend against them at best. Even basic buggies are quite weak against them (especially if initials roll aren't great one).

Try hard+, without forests so defensive terrain will be extremely rare, and enable "extreme violence" lens so you will rarely seen poor weaklings like farmers or independent militia units.
Restarted 6 new games so far since I posted this thread, always 1-2 majors next too me, even thou im doing 100+ zones to get a better spread of everyone..

Yes, I can confirm this issue in latest betas. Very rarely I was able to start without having a major nearby.
Jorgas

Post by Jorgas »

GR type-infantry and a GR tank had no issues with raiders, due to their state being so much better then raider units stats.

This game is about stats, attack modifiers, defence modifiers etc, stats, it's all about the stats. Learn how to use them and you won't have alot of major issues.

*I always have Severe violence, Survival stress, Nemesis and Alien life.
Jorgas

Post by Jorgas »

Also this thread was made about getting a minimum distance from "Player" and "Major" as a slider on the detailed planet generation.

Can you please respect that and not try and start other discussions. thanks.

Keep on topic please.
Thomas8

Post by Thomas8 »

Isnt grouping of Majors confirmed 'feature' of Planet Generation.

Major can only occur if in Dissolution War phase a lot of people survived on given terrain - and most people can survive on terrain with good Rain/Temperature/lack of radiation. Usually that means that 'good terrain' is limited and most Majors are being placed near each other.
Jorgas

Post by Jorgas »

ORIGINAL: Thomas8

Isnt grouping of Majors confirmed 'feature' of Planet Generation.

Major can only occur if in Dissolution War phase a lot of people survived on given terrain - and most people can survive on terrain with good Rain/Temperature/lack of radiation. Usually that means that 'good terrain' is limited and most Majors are being placed near each other.

First thanks for keeping on topic, :)

Second, is it really a feature that they are clustered/grouped? - Is it in the manual, then I missed it, or was it posted by Vic somewhere?

Most of my planets are siwa or medusa, lots of good terrain on them all over :( . I even use "complete after colonization" on FoW so that I can see it's a decent, or good map.
demiare

Post by demiare »

GR type-infantry and a GR tank had no issues with raiders, due to their state being so much better then raider units stats.

Lol, I know it. But you'd wrote about militia and buggies, not GR-units ;)

You're actually pointing on completely different issue - GR units are game breaking and have too high spawn chance. This is making your strategy working, if chance to get GR unit will be notably reduced you will be forced to fight with "normal" units and it's much slower and bloody war.

So I would agree that there is too many GR units now. If you aren't locked by slavers/nomads (still possible to achieve it) you can reliably get at least a bunch of infantry & something else.

IMHO we should get "no GR-units" option, or massively reduced chance to get them on Hard-Extreme.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

When you pick fragmentation there are usually 10 to 11 majors of course one or two will be near you.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
JWW

Post by JWW »

In my games I have not encountered your "problem" of a major right next to you. Including playing on normal. Close to me but not bordering and immediately accessible. Perhaps you are discussing a problem that doesn't really exist. Or perhaps my experience is outside the norm. And, yes, my comment is on topic.
demiare

Post by demiare »

ORIGINAL: jwarrenw13

In my games I have not encountered your "problem" of a major right next to you. Including playing on normal. Close to me but not bordering and immediately accessible. Perhaps you are discussing a problem that doesn't really exist. Or perhaps my experience is outside the norm. And, yes, my comment is on topic.

On normal Major start with same 1hex borders around capital like you.
On hard+ they're starting with already claimed large territory around their capital.

P.S. But yean, highly likely it's related to fragmentation history class.
HansLemurson

Post by HansLemurson »

It could also be a matter of statistics. If you sprinkle 10 cities randomly on the map, then chance that NONE of them will form a close pair is quite low. Even spacing can only happen for sure with a "Minimum Distance" rule like Jorgas is proposing.

Random distributions are far clumpier than our intuition would often suggest.
JWW

Post by JWW »

My experience might also be that I like to play with low density populations spawning fewer majors and minors to being with, now that I think about it, so maybe my experience is outside the norm.
Saros

Post by Saros »

Majors, whether player or not get clumped together by the world-gen because they go where the population is and the population distributed based on what areas are nice to live in. The harsher the planet the more majors will be clumped into the more hospitable terrain.
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

I'm currently playing on a large planet with 12 majors and none started adjacent to me.

Return to “Shadow Empire”