Why does the Axis invade N Africa?

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

boldairade

Why does the Axis invade N Africa?

Post by boldairade »

I mean, there's no VP, no resources.

Only more area to garrison.

Is it just to deny it to the allies?
malkarma

RE: Why does the Axis invade N Africa?

Post by malkarma »

To get airfields in wich place the bombers that will help you to take Gibraltar
Now in a mopre serious note, Algiers gives 1 VP. and better have thos ports under your control, than let the Allies take them in a Coup de Grace agaist Algiers.

But this is just my opinion.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

That is a good question - in fact, curious to get people's thoughts on why the Axis should do anything except invade:

* Poland (obvious reason - boring game otherwise)
* Denmark/Low Countries/France (Is Norway needed given that it seems Swedish Ore moves through?)
* Greece (to get Balkan minors)
* USSR

Is everything else a distraction and a delay on the USSR invasion timeline? Or are the strategic reasons for invading places like Norway, Vichy North Africa, Egypt, Yugoslavia?

BTW - one reason I ask is I have seen on multiple occasions where, at least in my opinion, the Axis over extends, then tries to defend too much and can't do it successfully. Some things like the beta invasion changes might impact that (haven't used it enough to know yet what impact it will have.)
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

There are in fact VPs. It also helps secure the Central med and thus Italy.

Those ports in NA are handy for the allies if they can grab them, and from there they can threaten landings more or less everywhere in the Med.
WitE Alpha Tester
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

There are in fact VPs. It also helps secure the Central med and thus Italy.

Those ports in NA are handy for the allies if they can grab them, and from there they can threaten landings more or less everywhere in the Med.

Yes, I can see Vichy North Africa as a way to delay an invasion of Italy.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: malkarma

To get airfields in wich place the bombers that will help you to take Gibraltar

In reality the axis needs to own Spain to take Gib.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
malkarma

Post by malkarma »

No strictly needed. Only more difficult.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: AndrewKurtz

Is everything else a distraction and a delay on the USSR invasion timeline? Or are the strategic reasons for invading places like Norway, Vichy North Africa, Egypt, Yugoslavia?

Norway for the fleet bases there. Having more subs and ships on the Arctic convoy road, and longer, is the only reason for its invasion.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

Like others said North Africa is the key to other regions and it blocks entrance into certain regions to a point. Although since you still can go around it if it's not using air or naval support it's not the best place on earth to possess. It does protect Italy but Italy can still be hit if the Allied player decides to hit and North Africa is a Supply nightmare. It would be probably safer if you have other goals to pack Italy with all those corps in North Africa(cause Italy is a nightmare to invade if properly defended) if you have no long term goals there.)

Other than that North Africa leads to the Suez/MidEast/Spain/Gibraltar and Atlantic. Making it sweet for the Axis.

For the Allies it leads to the soft underbelly of Europe...

Return to “WarPlan”