Russian units

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

jshan

Russian units

Post by jshan »

Do people rest routed units, merge them or disband them early in the war?
j
CapAndGown

RE: Russian units

Post by CapAndGown »

Warning: I am not an experienced player. What follows is likely wrong. Nevertheless:

You have the manpower and production capacity to quickly rebuild your rifle divisions. I would not disband those.

Most of you AP points at the start should be used to evacuate AAA units from front line cities that will soon be overrun. You will also need to disband fortified regions in danger of being overrun. These uses will eat up most of your Admin Points.

Tank divisions, OTOH, seem like prime candidates for disbanding, even if they are not currently routed, but only have a TOE of 50%. There is no hope of rebuilding these divisions in a reasonable time frame due to limited production capacity, and having them at 50% or less TOE% makes them extremely brittle, ready to be routed after just one attack. I have come to the conclusion that early tank divisions are only good for one battle before they become combat ineffective. Rather than leave them laying around soaking up equipment, I think it best to disband them to help fill out the few divisions that remain.
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

I don't disband any combat units in 1941. Routed units are sent to the rear and replacements turned off. When rallied the good units are refitted and returned to the front. The poor ones are kept low toe and are either sent to non critical areas or dig ditches while being trained.
jshan

Post by jshan »

Thanks, makes sense. Do the routed units ever get thier morale back?
j
redrum68

Post by redrum68 »

Yes, once they rally they are just normal units again. To increase morale gain, put them on refit 10+ hexes away from the enemy.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Never disband any ground units. You can merge them together (waiting until the end of the turn when you have used all your AP's, otherwise there's a significant AP penalty). The unit that disappears during the merge will come back in as a shell in a couple of turns on the east map edge.
JoeLewis

Post by JoeLewis »

I have become a fan of cycling one tank or mechanized division in the rear as a reserve unit behind each army. That gives me some defensive bonus with the relatively weak tank units early in the game. Usually, at the start of each turn an army has a few routed and unready units that I pull back to my next defensive line while rotating in reinforcements to soak up the next German attack.
AlexSF

Post by AlexSF »

10 hex away fron the enemy is the magic number to remember!
"My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Maréchal Foch, 1914.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown
I have come to the conclusion that early tank divisions are only good for one battle before they become combat ineffective. Rather than leave them laying around soaking up equipment, I think it best to disband them to help fill out the few divisions that remain.

No need. They automatically "upgrade" to being tank brigades anyway. And by 1942 you can merge those brigades into Tank corps that you will want. So you gain no advantage by disbanding divisions as they go anyway, but you could be getting rid of something you need for your path to tank corps.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
vilcum

Post by vilcum »

Most of you AP points at the start should be used to evacuate AAA units from front line cities that will soon be overrun.
do NOT do that, the cost is HORRIBLE in my experience, your AP are a precious commodity.
AlexSF

Post by AlexSF »

ORIGINAL: vilcum

Most of you AP points at the start should be used to evacuate AAA units from front line cities that will soon be overrun.
do NOT do that, the cost is HORRIBLE in my experience, your AP are a precious commodity.

Cost is horrible only if the closest axis unit is more than 5 hex away
"My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Maréchal Foch, 1914.
jshan

Post by jshan »

Can routed units take advantage of rail movement?
j
CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: jshan

Can routed units take advantage of rail movement?

no
jshan

Post by jshan »

Bummer.
j

Return to “The War Room”