The Raise Formation screen says 100% when building 50x Mech. Artillery, but...

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

VoodooDog

The Raise Formation screen says 100% when building 50x Mech. Artillery, but...

Post by VoodooDog »

... when clicking on it i cant build it because i only have 20% of the items.
it required 5740 oil and i only can have a max storage of ~4500 oil.
does this make any sense?
are mech artillery supposed to be that expansive or is this a bug?
if its no bug, why is the raise formation screen tricking me in saying you can buy it?
iam confused

edit: forgot to link this
zgrssd

RE: The Raise Formation screen says 100% when building 50x Mech. Artillery, but...

Post by zgrssd »

Wich version are you playing? Motor consumptions were reduced drastically during the betas.

Also, 4500/5740 is a lot more then just 20%. I doubt the oil was the limiting factor.
Sarissofoi

RE: The Raise Formation screen says 100% when building 50x Mech. Artillery, but...

Post by Sarissofoi »

Maybe you have old cheap obsolete model than you could rise unit with it?
But your current model(non obsolete) is very costly.
About fuel and ammo - yes some units need tons of it to operate.
VoodooDog

Post by VoodooDog »

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

Wich version are you playing? Motor consumptions were reduced drastically during the betas.

Also, 4500/5740 is a lot more then just 20%. I doubt the oil was the limiting factor.

the latest (1.3)

it was the oil tho, i only had ~1100 oil (but my max storage was ~4500, lower than what i need to just raise this formation...)
i also forget to link the picture lol
edited original post

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi

Maybe you have old cheap obsolete model than you could rise unit with it?
But your current model(non obsolete) is very costly.
About fuel and ammo - yes some units need tons of it to operate.
its not about operation costs here tho, its about cost of raising this formation
LordAldrich

Post by LordAldrich »

Version 1.04 should be available soon, that drastically reduces fuel costs. If you want for grab the beta patch in the meantime it's the only post in the beta testing subforum.
VoodooDog

Post by VoodooDog »

uh okay, thanks for the information.
i actually enjoyed the high fuel cost, was thinking that fuel efficiency is actually a very needed tech. :D
Tomn

Post by Tomn »

It might also be possible that your design is inefficient - overweight designs suck up a lot more fuel than normal. If you click on your model in the management tab, what does it say about your engine?
ramnblam

Post by ramnblam »

Edit: What is the oil move cost for that model in the design section?
VoodooDog

Post by VoodooDog »

ORIGINAL: Tomn

It might also be possible that your design is inefficient - overweight designs suck up a lot more fuel than normal. If you click on your model in the management tab, what does it say about your engine?
ORIGINAL: ramnblam

Edit: What is the oil move cost for that model in the design section?

it uses 76,5 fuel per hex :D
umm what else do you wanna know?

engine designe is at 51... thats really low, isnt it?
it has a weight of 1245 and an engine power of 1200 (the best engine i have)

i didnt build this thing because i couldnt, but i build medium tanks instead.
they cost only ~3500 oil and use ~50 oil per hex. cheers.... :D
the tanks have an engine design of 86, weight 1120 and engine power 800.
ramnblam

Post by ramnblam »

Bro how much armour did you put on that artillery lol?

Edit: and yeah that engine design is absolute dog shit
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: VoodooDog

its not about operation costs here tho, its about cost of raising this formation
The Operation cost in fuel, dictates the fuel reserves in the unit - and thus how much you need to raise a formation.

Note that these specific changes are tied to the version the savegame was created in. It only works for new Savegames.
lloydster4

Post by lloydster4 »

1245 weight for a mechanized artillery?! You're basically trying to build a battalion of Karl-Gerate.
Tomn

Post by Tomn »

Oof, yeah, those numbers are ridiculous.

You basically always want your unit weight to be below your engine capacity, preferably comfortably below. While designing new models, you can mouse over the engine capacity stat to check how much your total components thus far actually weighs - very handy for working out if you can build the thing efficiently or not. Deliberately building overweight is very much not recommended unless you're sure you can afford the fuel cost, or if you really really need the tactical options that extra weight gives you.

It's also worth noting that you don't actually want to slap the biggest guns and the heaviest armor on everything you design. Doing so produces effective, but inefficient designs. What you want is armor just thick enough to be mostly immune to whatever you're fighting, and guns just powerful enough to overwhelm whatever you're up against - that gives you the sweet spot of price to performance. Mechanized artillery in particular really doesn't need super heavy armor since you're not really intending (I hope) to send them into the front line.

Edit: Like, for the early game, 25mm of armor makes you comfortably able to take on infantry at an affordable price, and 50mm makes you practically immune. More than that isn't usually necessary until and unless the enemy starts fielding more serious anti-tank stuff.
VoodooDog

Post by VoodooDog »

noted and thank you!

Return to “Shadow Empire”