Version Advice Requested

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

MoldyJacket

Version Advice Requested

Post by MoldyJacket »

I'm a new player drinking from a fire hose (loved Second Front: Germany turns East, still have the old box set with print manual). According to Steam installation, version 1.11.03 is the official release and 1.12.05 is beta. I've played around with both in some of the longer Road To scenarios and it seems the new supply system has a large impact. My question: is it a waste of time to learn 1.11.03 because 1.12.xx will eventually become official (implying not available via Steam anymore)?
Telemecus

RE: Version Advice Requested

Post by Telemecus »

if v1.12.xx becomes official then it would be v1.11.03 that is no longer available on steam?

I personally think the v1.12.xx supply system builds ontop of what v1.11.03 has. So although you would need to learn new things for v1.12.xx, you would not necessarily have to unlearn things from v1.11.03 . So you could use v1.11.03 to learn the game without worrying about a more complex supply system and then upgrade to it when you are ready to take that on as well.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket »

Yes, only official or beta is offered currently.
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

The same general ideas apply. Just specifics are slightly different even though underlying mechanics and equations are changed. Near train good, far from train bad :)
MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket »

In my very limited experience, the difference seems large enough to change long term strategy.
joelmar

Post by joelmar »

You're probably right, to what degree is hard to say and is still being assessed by the community as games with the new patch go forward. But as Telemecus and eskuche said, the same basic principles still apply, most differences are in details. For sure, many old common tactics have either lost or gained potency, but most are still relevant.
"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Yes, it's a waste of time. 1.12.05 is much better and requires different strategies.
redrum68

Post by redrum68 »

I would go with v1.12.05 but I learned on v1.11 a few months ago then upgraded and its mostly just reading the patch notes about 10 times and figuring how to adjust strategy a bit.
MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket »

It's not just the supply system, fortifications are different too for one example. Feels like two different games to me, guess I'll go with beta especially since 1.11.03 will likely be extinct on Steam soon anyway.
joelmar

Post by joelmar »

fortifications have been changed to be harder to take, but at the same time heavy artillery and engineers have both been made more potent against it, both by upping their power and fixing an old refit bug, so the key is to make sure you have plenty of those around when facing heavily fortified hexes, which has always been advised anyway.

But again, it's not such a big difference as it might seem at first sight.
"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

fortifications have been changed to be harder to take, but at the same time heavy artillery and engineers have both been made more potent against it, both by upping their power and fixing an old refit bug, so the key is to make sure you have plenty of those around when facing heavily fortified hexes, which has always been advised anyway.

Originally, I thought that the change to the fortification system in 12.04 was a great game changer. But this was only due to a bug with artillery and pioneer support units. 12.05 fixed that and now it's back to fantasy warfare. Once again. it is pointless to defend Odessa and forget about a siege of Leningrad. A competent Axis player will have no problems cutting the city off and finishing the garrison in one or two turns with minimal effort.

It depresses me that this part of the game is so inadequate. I can only hope that WitE2 will handle this better. Personally, I will not start a new game and will wait for WitE2.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”