AIW#42 End of game shot

Moderator: Jason Petho

budd

AIW#42 End of game shot

Post by budd »

This is the end game state of a just finished pbem game i played. I mentioned in the CSVietnam thread regarding disrupted unit movement. This is not to say this wasn't a fun scenario to play, it was. Although i got killed on the scoreboard, i wasn't unhappy with the damage i did to the Israelis. Think the map needed to be a bit bigger on the top/bottom for more maneuver choices.

I pushed on the bottom of the map. The reason was it was the best route for limiting the LOS. I pushed units to those rocks near the bottom of the map before my units were even seen. This surprised my opponent, he had a very sparse force in the trees, but once i got past the rocks there was LOS from the road and points north. I was pretty happy to get any units off the map, given what i was facing and the size of the map. My opponent shifted forces south to block me, with the tree line and rough terrain it was a bitch getting through. I had a small diversionary force moving up north, but it quickly fell to the Israeli tanks. I had a heavy tank force in the town, i realized i had to whittle down the Israelis before even attempting to exit units and the town units did heavy damage to a lot of Israeli tank units at the crossroads forcing him to fallback. I find that you have to have big stacks of armor to do any real damage, so i stacked my Syrians deep. At this point in hindsight with the Israelis shifting south, falling back slowly in the center i should of started looping north toward the other exit VP....a well. I also didn't start my big move toward exiting until turn 9 of 12, maybe a turn or two to late.

A lot of my tank units and a few infantry units you see lagging back are disrupted. 4 of the 5 most advanced Israeli units are disrupted. The only one not disrupted is the 3 strength armored infantry in the trees in the south stacked with a disrupted unit. Tried to use HQ's and leader to help with disruption, lost 12 HQ's and leaders, only 3 left you see on map.

Curious about people's opinion of the current disrupted unit movement and its limitations. It's a bigger issue on exit VP scenarios i find. What i currently do is pull the unit back out of LOF and move a leader or HQ to the hex, i do this whenever possible. Again i'm not saying it wasn't fun to play, it was, and i could almost hear my opponent swear when he discovered my strong move along the south edge. Anyone have any thoughts, or any pointers for me.

Attachments
csmeaiw42.jpg
csmeaiw42.jpg (509.99 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Return to “After Action Reports”