Eric Young's Squad Assault: West Front

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Egg_Shen

Post by Egg_Shen »

This game looks really good. Anyone know of any more screenshot than the ones ont he matrix site? No demo yet?
Belisarius

Re: Eric Young's Squad Assault: West Front

Post by Belisarius »

Originally posted by Egg_Shen

This game looks really good. Anyone know of any more screenshot than the ones ont he matrix site? No demo yet?

Egg_shen... are you baiting the Matrixgames crew? :p

Walk over to the Squad Assault subforum down below, and you'll find a few new goodies. :) AFAIK, a demo will not be released, but the game is due in August. *wishes really hard*
Got StuG?
Egg_Shen

Post by Egg_Shen »

thx for the info buddy ;)
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Matrix Games does NOT do demos, so you might as well wait anxiously to buy it, or not, but you won't be getting a demo.

Unless Matrix revises it's policy of not employing demos for its products.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Ian Packham

Post by Ian Packham »

Did Matrix ever list the reasons why they release no demos?
That's the view of a few vociferous idiots here whose politics are to the right of Ghengis Khan and defend their hatred of foreigners and minorities with the idea that they are practicing patriotism rather than bigotry.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I think the short answer is, a demo is usually stealing time away from actually getting the game finished.

Additionally, a demo is often a poor rushed incomplete version of the end result game.

Or that is what I recall in comments.
Ian Packham

Post by Ian Packham »

That argument only holds for demos made before the final release. It does not prevent them from posting a demo made from the release version on their website for people to try out before purchasing. That is a reasonable thing to do.

Its like asking people to purchase an audio CD of an artist without hearing any of the songs on the radio/TV first.
That's the view of a few vociferous idiots here whose politics are to the right of Ghengis Khan and defend their hatred of foreigners and minorities with the idea that they are practicing patriotism rather than bigotry.
Igotmilk™

Post by Igotmilk™ »

One of the problems with demo's is that the demo can SUCK but the game could be great. I have seen forums deluged with the game sucks because of this and the game sucks because of that after the demo was released but before the game was released, even if the game had the feature but it was purposefully not put in the demo.

Then the developers end up defending stuff from people who have never played the game and may have never even played the demo.

I see no problem with not releasing a demo.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

As for Airborne Assault, I looked at the screen shots and thought it a poor game.

Then I downloaded the demo and found it to be a great game. It was the demo that sold me even though many features are missing.

From the screen shots EYSA looks like a poor game.
Ian Packham

Post by Ian Packham »

Originally posted by Igotmilk™
One of the problems with demo's is that the demo can SUCK but the game could be great. I have seen forums deluged with the game sucks because of this and the game sucks because of that after the demo was released but before the game was released, even if the game had the feature but it was purposefully not put in the demo.

Then the developers end up defending stuff from people who have never played the game and may have never even played the demo.

I see no problem with not releasing a demo.

True but in the case of EYSA they can include a complete battle with all the features on so people will get a true sense of the game. I agree demos should be released only after the game release so that there are no misconceptions about gameplay/features. I cant imagine any good reason why not to release a true game demo based on the release version.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

If a matrix game sucks I will stop buying from them

if more ppl stuck to that we could see the end of bad games
BrubakerII

Post by BrubakerII »

Personally I like demos because I have been caught out too many times over the years buying games at top dollar when they blow like a cold south wind. Of course, releasing demos can have its drawbacks as Igm has stated.

Overall though, I would think a game's poor sales are not because a demo didn't properly demostrate its features, but because a demo actually highlighted to people why they don't like it.

Releasing demos - it is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't scenarios I guess. Overall I would think if it can be done reasonably easily (ie. large publisher) then it should be done. If it is going to take resources that would detract from the bottom line (ie. small publisher), then it shouldn't be done.

Joe, interestingly the latest EYSA screenshots have done the opposite for me and now I will likely buy. Interesting how different features appeal to different people. I think if you are confident of a game, release a demo. This will sell it for you.

Brubaker
[8D] SSG Beta Tester [8D]
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

A post-release demo wouldn't hurt anyone, IMO. The problem might be since the games are not level-based or campaign-based as such, it might be hard to make a playable demo without giving away the whole game?

I mean, demos for FPS games are easy, just ship the game engine along with a level and you have a demo. What we get when we by a wargame is nothing but the engine and a interface, really. (OK, I'm simplifying but I hope you get the point)

That said, demos are really good for getting a feel for the game, and a feel wether you like the gameplay or not. A game can look fabulous but still not apply to you because it's just too hard/easy/unmanageable/shallow... a demo will reveal that.

Airborne assault looked boooring to me, but after reading the AAR it actually looks quite fun. :)

Then again, it's Matrixgames' decision, and if they choose not to make demos, I won't b*tch about it.
Got StuG?
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ian hit on something that was a valid comment.

But here is my twist on it.

The best demo of a game (to me) is in the making of a good one in the first place. An established reputation is worth gold.

Sell me on you game producing qualities, and you won't have to sell me on every damnable piece of software you produce.

I have been wargaming way to long to NOT be able to competently scope out a wargame.

I have seen some games produced by some companies, and yes, you can bet, I am as skeptical as hell now. Demo, I don't need demos from competent companies. Details that are relevant can be found online in a forum.

I also don't need demos from "incompetent" companies. I don't buy anything from them, including the rare case of a game that they actually manage to figure out how to do correctly.
BrubakerII

Post by BrubakerII »

Les what about a new company or an established company creating a game in a new genre? Surely each product needs to be rated on its on merit and not the merit of its predecessor? I loved Sim City 2000. :) I also bought Sim City 4 on the same logic you have expressed :(

Brubaker
[8D] SSG Beta Tester [8D]
Igotmilk™

Post by Igotmilk™ »

Hey Brubaker! Image Image
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

New companies are like any other form of newbie. Gotta earn yer respect.

You make a game, you pray, you advertise, you hope you did everything correct.

You release your game, you cross your fingers, and you find out if you can cut it.

If you do your homework, and you do everything the veterans make clear makes a good game a "good" game, you should succeed.

But I have seen numerous cases where businesses (any sort of business) have been opened, and it is sooooo apparent the owner never took a business course, and was self assured they "knew what they were doing".

If I was suddenly blessed with wealth, and had a burning desire to run a modest company, and make the best danged computer wargame possible, I would give those with games that have proven they knew what they were doing a chance to tell me a few things.

Demos are a two way sword that cuts both ways.
A demo can lead to 5 sales and ruin 5 sales. End result, you spent time making a demo (and time is money), and you are not any further ahead.

If I was making a computer game, I would soak my money into marketing, not into providing a demo. If it was my first game, I would make it a break even game too. I would tell my audience, this is my proof of the pudding game. If you like it, please look forward to the next one I make.

I know this much. Matrix Games has given wargamers a shitload of a great deal in Steel Panthers World at War. They went out and they produced something they made nothing off of, that cost them real cash, and they proved they knew their stuff.

The Mega Campaigns are in my opinion a splendid "business demo". They told the whole world, yes we want to make wargames, and we know how to do it.

I am confident I am going to like Combat Leader. I am also confident David heath won't spring it on me until HE is good and ready.
He has invested tooooo much time and energy to throw it all away releasing a game based solely on a marketing strategy, the worst example being "oh it's christmas". I will be lining up to get Combat Leader regardless of what time of year it is. Day after christmas and you can bet I WILL find the money.

I don't need a demo of Combat Leader. I have already seen the demo of Matrix Games.

I don't mind saying I have seen demos of a few other companies out there. Some of which I will invariably shy away from simply because their business demo sucks.
ShermanM4

Just a Suggestion

Post by ShermanM4 »

Have any of you considered buying a copy of GI Combat. Now I am not trying to start a debate about if it will be the same game or not. My simple observations from the screenshots and much of the writing suggests there will be a lot of similarities. If you bought GIC that would be a great demo! Plus i'm sure you can find it for $9.99 now.
"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

EYSA is a VERY different game than GIC. Just because they sort of look the same, its sort of like saying original SP would be a good demo to see if you like SP:WaW. Maybe in some ways, but you get the idea...

EYSA grew out of GIC, but to me is more "different" from it than SP:WaW is from original SP.

I was REALLY skeptical that you could do a "continuous time 3D game" that would "work for me" but I find I like EYSA more and more. Infantry combat in particular "works for me" a lot better than in the turn based alternative... The flexibility of continuous time makes WEGO turns seems stilted and "disconnected".

The continuous time aspect REALY draws you into the action in a way I just never got with WEGO.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Sounds to me that Paul is turning away from the dark side :)

Return to “General Discussion”