Why are desert "Hills" not actually treated as hills?

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

OxfordGuy3

Why are desert "Hills" not actually treated as hills?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Hi - I was wondering why the desert "hill" hexes don't actually seem to function as hills, e.g. the Jebel El Akhdar area east of Benghazi in Libya (e.g. hex 173, 12) or hex 160,12 two hexes south of Tripoli and also all the desert "hill" hexes in Algeria (e.g. hex 135, 13). Seems strange, in most games I've played of this scale, the Jebel El Akhdar is not treated as just ordinary desert, but as some sort of rugged terrain.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
AlvaroSousa

RE: Why are desert "Hills" not actually treated as hills?

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Page 45 of the new manual has the table. Difference is a desert hill is considered rugged
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa
Page 45 of the new manual has the table. Difference is a desert hill is considered rugged

Okay, that makes some sense, but they're still just labelled as "desert" in 1.00.06, which is a bit confusing, is there no room to display "Desert Hills"?

So the only difference (though quite significant) for desert hills and desert is "rugged", which means:

Rugged — Oil dependent land units cost 1 more operation point to move into the hex; attacking tank factors and retreat chance is halved. Defending tank factors are not halved.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

It allows players to customize individual terrain types in the editor. Very likely future versions will have each terrain customizable.

This was my 1st game I coded, designed, and shipped. Much was learned from the experience.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

Return to “WarPlan”