Here's a way to play multiplayer

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

Deepstuff3725

Here's a way to play multiplayer

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Would you like to be able to play this great game of TotH over the internet against another player?

Well... Good news, guys. I found a way to do this by using Steam. Steam is a free platform where you can buy games, and play games, over the internet. Recently they added a "Remote Play Together" feature for some of the games on Steam, which allows players to connect over the internet with one of the players hosting the game and the other player joining the game. The player joining will be able to see the game on their screen and their mouse and keyboard inputs will work on the host's screen. Then a game can be played where two people in different locations can control the play within the host's game.

I was able to use the Remote Play Together in Steam to play Tigers on the Hunt with a friend of mine recently. He lives in a different city and has Steam. By both of us logging into Steam we were able to connect with Remote Play Together and play a TotH scenario with live multiplayer. Pretty cool.

If you're interested, here are the steps to make this happen:

First, both you and the other player need to have Steam, and it's free. If you don't have Steam you can download it.

Second, the host player needs to get TotH to play in Steam. To do this, first you need do a search online for Steam games that have the new "Remote Play Together" functionality. This will list all the games that work with this new feature, and there are a few in there that are free. Just make a note of one that is free, then power up Steam. Select "Explore" and type in the free game that can be played with Remote Play Together. Click the "play" button and steam will install it.

Now go into your Steam folder, SteamApps, Common, and then find the new game folder in the list of your games. Open that folder. Write down the .exe file name exactly as it appears. Keep this window up.

Next, open a new window and find your TotH game. Go into the TotH folder and then "copy" all the TotH files.

Go back to the Steam window and "paste" all the TotH files and folders into this Steam game folder. Delete the .exe from that Steam game. Now rename the "Tigers on the Hunt.exe" file to the name of the free Steam game, making sure it's exactly as you wrote down matching its original format. Once this is done the .exe icon should change to the Steam game's icon.

Everything is now setup. Launch Steam and "play" that new free game you got in Steam, and TotH will launch instead. The free game will show as "running" in the Steam window, but what is running on your system is TotH. When a friend joins this game using the Remote Play Together service, the game that is played will be TotH instead of that free game.

Next, to do the playing online, both you and the other player need to have the Steam service. The player that wants to host the game needs to have TotH installed with the process listed above.

The host player needs to send a "friend request" to the other player, and that player needs to accept. Make sure both you and your friend are logged onto Steam. Pull up the Friends List. Launch TotH in Steam and Alt Tab to the Friends List and select the "Remote Play Together". The other player accepts the invite and selects to "play the game" and TotH will then display on their screen.

Now both of you can play a scenario in TotH together online. This is not really difficult to do, and I hope my instructions are easy to follow and I didn't make it too complicated. Just want to share with the community that this little tweak in Steam can be done allowing live multiplayer.

And you can do this process with other games, too. I did this procedure with Steel Panthers ( SPWW2 ) from shrapnelgames.com and it worked just great. I'd like to try "Campaign Series" next and get it working via Steam for online play.

Jeff
rmmwilg

RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer

Post by rmmwilg »

Sounds fantastic [:D][:D][:D][:D]
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Nice. [:)] Thank you for sharing.
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Hi Jeff, nice to see you over here and thanks for the info on playing TotH over Steam!![;)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Wow! Congratulations, [&o] Deepstuff3725: this is a hell of a news and really good work!

Not being very "technical", I will try to do the best I can by following your detailed instructions.

Also very happy to know that it can (could) work with other non-Steam games (Win Steel Panthers &

Campaign Series) which I still really appreciate and practice solo, although they are no longer very young...

Lilian

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

To be honest I didn’t discover how to do this on my own. I researched on Steam chat how to use the Remote Play feature and saw some guys figured out how to substitute another game in place of a Steam game.

So I thought of TotH, tried it out, and it works!

👍

rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

Am curious. I presume this lifts all fog-of-war; ie. each player can view all the units of both sides rather than just what their side can see?
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Yes. Both players control what is on the game screen. So no Fog of War.

It would be like sitting at a computer with your friend and you each take turns playing each side. So no Fog of War, but better than no online play at all.

One way to create Fog of War would be have a gentlemen’s agreement between the two players to turn off the monitor while the other is playing. Haha. Depends on the game.

But I think it’s great to have a way to play any of the over 600 scenarios in TotH online with someone else.
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

I’m going through a Human vs Human TotH scenario to see how it plays with Fog of War.

With Fog of War “enabled”, when it’s a players turn they see on screen just their units, and the enemy units theirs have line of sight to.

When the red button is clicked it’s the other player’s turn, and they see all their units and just the enemy units they have line of sight to.

Playing this way online would be more similar to playing with someone face to face, like a board game, or playing the game at one computer human vs human and you each play your own side.

If you try to not see the enemy units during the other player’s turn by turning off the screen, you miss the combat that occurs, and also Opp Fire opportunities. So probably best to play as human vs human with fog of war enabled. You will be able to see all their units during their turn, but not when it is your turn. It’s more like playing a board game where you can see all the units.
rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

Definitely interested to give it a go
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Rmmwilg and Big Ivan... if you have Steam and you would like to play a scenario let me know.

rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

I do, and I'm interested. Apparently I picked the worse time to have vacation and may well have much more time at home that I'd planned on in the next coupla weeks! [:D][:D][:D]

Actual name is Mike by the way :)
rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

Looks like I had uninstalled it sometime back, but if I'm just joining a game, that all happens online, if I understand your instructions correctly? Otherwise, I can install it again
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Hey Mike.

To join a game you have to have Steam active and running. The “Remote Play Together” feature runs within Steam when you’re logged into it.

Glad you want to play a scenario. Will be fun.
rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff3725

Hey Mike.

To join a game you have to have Steam active and running. The “Remote Play Together” feature runs within Steam when you’re logged into it.

Glad you want to play a scenario. Will be fun.

Ok, I'll get it re-installed tonight and maybe we can have a bash in next couple of days
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff3725

Rmmwilg and Big Ivan... if you have Steam and you would like to play a scenario let me know.

Hey Jeff, thanks for the offer my man but unfortunately I am super super busy with the Campaign Series right now. Maybe if we can get this working with the Campaign Series in the future I'll keep a slot open. I'd love to try over the net play real time![:D]

Thanks again Jeff, God's speed!![;)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

Jeff, how's your schedule tomorrow?
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Hey Mike.

I’m available tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night.
rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

Heya, trying to caught up with everything. Hopefully can get setup, and we can do something in a few hours. Will let ya know. Really looking forward to giving this a try
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Sounds good. I sent you a message so we can exchange Steam ID’s to get connected.

Looking forward to it...

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”