Strategic Studies Group games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

britten

Strategic Studies Group games

Post by britten »

Would it be possible to reduce the price for games made by Strategic Studies Group somehow? I've spent few years playing their Warlords II Deluxe title (I still play it, actually) and I'm very curious about their wargames. However the prices are just absurd: €38.99 for one game which is between 12-16 years old.

http://www.ssg.com.au/
ncc1701e

RE: Strategic Studies Group games

Post by ncc1701e »

Black Friday is near. Wait for the sales. [:)]
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

ORIGINAL: britten

However the prices are just absurd: €38.99 for one game which is between 12-16 years old.

Just wait until you see the hoops you have to jump through to get them to display in a wide screen format.
Absurd is an understatement.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Some games age well. Look at Steel Panthers. It's more than 20 years old, and yet we still call it the gold standard.

I own the SSG games, I don't think they have lost their worth either.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Some games age well. Look at Steel Panthers. It's more than 20 years old, and yet we still call it the gold standard.
24 years, and it got left way behind by both (Win)SPWW2 and SPWAW.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
76mm

Post by 76mm »

The JTS Panzer Campaigns games have also aged pretty well and have received regular free updates. They are probably my favorite twenty year old games (or at least game system, some of the games are quite recent).
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Yer picking on that nit a bit hard there young man :)

Zovs

Post by Zovs »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Yer picking on that nit a bit hard there young man :)

Technically he is not. WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT are the only Steel Panther's game series that have seen continuous development since 2001. Both WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT have also been upgraded to use modern O/S (Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10), upgraded to use full screen and wide screen displays, has had their OOB' updated, fixed and tweaked, new icons and many new scenarios and campaign for both games. SPWAW has not been updated since 2004.

So technically speaking he is correct.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

The point was, the game is old, and we still expect to use it as a yard stick. In other words, we are using a 20+ year old game to judge anything made new this month.

That's impressive whether you are using SP, SP2 SP3, modified SP3 that was used to make SPWaW or the SPCamo versions.

I still enjoy playing Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat. It feels like Panzer Leader the board game (within reason that is).
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Good points.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Yes, it does seem a little strange that games that old still are priced pretty high. They have addressed it in the past, but not to make any changes.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I too have all three of the old ones. I also have all three of the newer off shoots. I religiously update the two that Shrapnel Games offers and updates regularly. I've lost a truckload of hours playing them all. [:)]

As far as pricing, it's the same across the board regardless of whose you buy. I think they should all be $10 less but I bought them anyway so I must have thought they were worth it at the time. [:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

The SSG Games should be bundled together and sold as a pack for what they are currently charging for one of the games. Carriers at War is still a lot of fun though.
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I have CAW and CAW2 dust covered boxes on my shelf. 3.5" disks. 1993 price sticker says £44.99

Probably time I learnt to play them.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

I have CAW and CAW2 dust covered boxes on my shelf. 3.5" disks. 1993 price sticker says £44.99
Looks hella pretty for the time
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

No thats the Matrix re write.

Try Carriers at War Dos screenshot:

https://www.google.com/search?q=carrier ... 00&bih=758
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Good Morning Australia SSG interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HXK-SjXJxk
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
hapshott

Post by hapshott »

The SSG games are really good. They all work under windows 10.

One thing that is a bit annoying is the resolution. Widescreen is not supported as is the higher resolutions. But the games are so good that this annoyance is a small price to pay.

One remark about battles for italy. It still needs a patch. BII crashes when a unit is at the edge of the map. This is an issue with the extra scenarios you can download, but not for the scenario which are default in BII.

The pricing is indeed rather steep as the games are really old. This will hold back wargame beginners and therefor missed sales. Which is a pity as it is a nice hobby.

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: hapshott

The pricing is indeed rather steep as the games are really old. This will hold back wargame beginners and therefor missed sales. Which is a pity as it is a nice hobby.
Just point the beginners to WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT. Free and at least work more reliably than SPWAW (sorry Matrix)

MekWars
hapshott

Post by hapshott »

Ah yes. Steel panthers. They are indeed a good way to start. The only disadvantage here is the resolution of the free games. I always need to change the desktop resolution to see what is happening.

Perhaps I'm a bit weird but I play the old steel panthers 1, 2 and 3 dos versions more often than the Shrapnel versions. The main reason is the pace of the game. I find the shrapnel versions slower to play. I can also extend the resolution to 1.5x under Dosbox. Due to this I do not have to change the desktop resolution.

By the way. You can find my scenario collection for the dos versions here: https://www.alternatewars.com/Games/SP/SPanthers.htm

Return to “General Discussion”