Chain of Command Question

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here
DZKriz

Chain of Command Question

Post by DZKriz »

Hi there,

I'm trying to input the OOB of the Czechoslovakian Army into TOAW IV to run a simulation of the 1938 Sudeten Crisis

This has been the obsession of the Czechs since 1938 of trying to figure out "How would we have done?"

There are entire books, written in Czech, listing the CSBM OOB down to the battalion/specialized company and artillery battery level.

To get a taste just lookup the articles on "mobilizace" on the czech (cs) language "wikipedia" (one can run the articles through google translate to get a decent enough rough translation)

Anyway, my question is, how many levels of Command and Control does TOAW IV tolerate? My guess is TWO. If that is the case, then the highest level of organization possible would be at the divisional level, with subordinate regiments, specialized battalions, companies and artillery units coordinating with their divisional HQ.

However, I have available to me a clearly defined command structure (and this was a small country) up from the Divisional to the Corps and to the Army and Supreme HQ levels. Further, the CS air force was organized with some air units subordinated to the command of its four constituent armies (I-Bohemia, II-Northern Moravia, III-Slovakia-Subcarpathian Rus, IV-Southern Moravia), and other air units subordinated to the Supreme Command.

Anyway, is there a way I can make all the units "dance" according to the coordinated structure (or watch that structure be blown to pieces by German Air Attack...)?

Can I build up the Czechoslovak (and for that matter the German) Army in a way that it responds to commands coming from the Corps and Army levels using TOAW IV?

StuccoFresco

RE: Chain of Command Question

Post by StuccoFresco »

Depends on the scale you are using. If you are down to company level, probably Divisions are the highest you can go. You should increase the scale to be able to represent Corps/Army HQs, i think.
StuccoFresco

RE: Chain of Command Question

Post by StuccoFresco »

I mean, in TOAW as far as i can tell there aren't "formations inside formations" so outside a formation there isn't a chain of command. Representing bigger structures I think there are just the "collaboration bonus":

- internal support: gets perfect coordination only with other units of the same formation and limited with units with same exact color scheme
- army support: perfect coordination with every unit with same exact color scheme, limited with others
- force support: perfect coordination with every unit with same background color, limited with others
- free support: perfect coordination with everyone

This way you can simulate bigger structures by setting up Divisions as single formations, Corps with same background color and different counter color, and Armies with different colors altogather.

Return to “The War Room”