Submitted Scenarios

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

Hailstone

RE: Submitted Scenarios

Post by Hailstone »

Duck, here comes another one...

Grain For the Taking

Just south of the Tsaritsa Gorge, Near Stalingrad, Russia, September 17, 1942: For several days
Lieutenant Andrei Khoyzyanov and his band of 50 marines held off numerous attacks by German infantry
while withstanding several intense artillery barrages. The Russians knew that the grain inside the
elevator would be a great prize for the Germans if they could get their hands on it. The Russians
were determined that they would not. Around noon a lone German tank approached and the marines
prepared for yet another assault.

Game length: 6 turns

For the Russians to win they must defend the grain elevator from the Germans
For the Germans to win they must capture the grain elevator

Russian: Squads, MMG, LMG's
Germans: Squads, HMG, LMG's, DC's

Boards: #6

Aftermath: The German tankers demanded the Russian surrender, in response several Marines snuck out
of the elevator and destroyed the tank. For three days the Germans responded by pounding the elevator
with artillery, setting the grain on fire. As the final barrage lifted the Germans attacked again.
Still, the Russian marines held them at bay. Finally, half-crazed from thirst, Lt. Khoyzyanov led his
men out to seek water during the night. A few hours later they were discovered and captured. The Germans
were able to extinguish the fires in the elevator and recover grain that would prove invaluable in the
months ahead.

Source: Coastal Fortress, scenario BB 11.1 by Brian Blad: Grain For the Taking.

Attachments
GrainfortheTaking.zip
(21.12 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Watch out, another scenario! Save yourselves...

The Unfriendly Welcome

Berdorf, Belgium, December 17, 1944: Company F was cut off from the rest of the battalion
just east of Berdorf. To try to break through to them, Colonel Luckett what forces he
could scrape together. The men of B Company drew the assignment. As they rode into Berdorf
on the decks of their tanks, the Germans gave them a hot reception with panzercshrecks and
machineguns.

Game Length: 8 turns

For the Germans to win they must prevent the Americans from breaking through
For the Americans to win they must exit troops to join the rest of the battalion

Germans: Squads, LMG's, PSK's
American: Squads, MMG's, BAZ, AFV's

Boards: #3, #11

Aftermath: B Company pressed their attack for over an hour. But with no appreciable gains
and mounting casualties, the GI's were forced to withdraw from Berdorf. As they pulled out
the GI's called down mortar and artillery fire to try to blast the German defenders out.

SOURCE: Coastal Fortress, Scenario BB 14.1 by Brian Blad: The Unfriendly Welcome

Attachments
TheUnfrie..Welcome.zip
(22.72 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Big Ivan

RE: Guderian's March v2

Post by Big Ivan »

ORIGINAL: rmmwilg

The lag problem isn't scenario related, but a game-engine issue that's been addressed at length in other threads. It's something that's going to have to, eventually be dealt with before large maps like this and the original, Kursk CG's can be played without this utter frustration! The only workaround that's been put forward so far is to limit LOS to a maximum of 12 hexes which of course destroys one of the greatest advantages of more accurate, higher-powered weapons, particularly for the Germans.
Yeah rmmwilg, its the major reason I devote all my time to the Campaign Series. The mega scenarios in TotH are just unplayable from a time standpoint even with Razer Cortex installed. For whatever the reason the game engine can't handle it. I want so bad to play "Bled White" from the Kursk scenarios but after Turn 4 I can eat a bowl of pretzels and drink a six pack of Bud Light before the computer gets its turn done. Sad about the game speed!
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

BTW Sam,

Thanks much for the new scenarios added today!![:D][:D]
rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

ORIGINAL: Big Ivan

ORIGINAL: rmmwilg

The lag problem isn't scenario related, but a game-engine issue that's been addressed at length in other threads. It's something that's going to have to, eventually be dealt with before large maps like this and the original, Kursk CG's can be played without this utter frustration! The only workaround that's been put forward so far is to limit LOS to a maximum of 12 hexes which of course destroys one of the greatest advantages of more accurate, higher-powered weapons, particularly for the Germans.
Yeah rmmwilg, its the major reason I devote all my time to the Campaign Series. The mega scenarios in TotH are just unplayable from a time standpoint even with Razer Cortex installed. For whatever the reason the game engine can't handle it. I want so bad to play "Bled White" from the Kursk scenarios but after Turn 4 I can eat a bowl of pretzels and drink a six pack of Bud Light before the computer gets its turn done. Sad about the game speed!

I'm with ya...I've finished an entire bottle of my favourite and completely forgotten where I was or whether I even care at that point by the time, it's ready again!! [:D][:D][:D]

Some day however... I have faith!!
UP844

Post by UP844 »

@hailstone:

Thanks for the new scenarios!

@rmmwilg:

I know the lag issue is a game engine issue, but I thought this time it could be due to my PC. I never managed to play the "Bled White" scenario for more than a few turns, even though Peter's intervention has improved the situation (now the game slows to a crawl on turn 5 or 6 instead than on turn 2).

I also keep the faith! [&o]

@gehrig38:

The ordnance setup issue has already been reported (see HERE) but unfortunately Peter fell ill shortly afterwards.

As you might already have discovered, the only factor the AI takes into account when it sets up its units is the terrain TEM. It will always place the units in the hexes with the highest TEM contained in a given set-up zone: this means you can see large guns or mortars setting up in buildings and playing target for the whole game (this does not occur for AFVs: unless there is no other choice, the AI will not set them up in woods or building hexes). The only solution is to provide a separate set-up zone for Ordnance that cannot occupy buildings.

Peter is a very kind author, who has done a great work on the game and spared no effort to improve it. In my opinion, the game engine still needs a few touches (my favourite - as anybody here knows - is having the AI infantry firing at long range: did you notice that issue?).

Back to "Guderian's March v3": a PzII discovered a T-26 on a hill near the Russian mortars (and managed to stop, reverse and survive!), but when the Pz IIIs arrived it wasn't there anymore [&:]. The other T-26s I met (one on the southern part of the town and one in the centre) stood and died where I found them. It looks like the reinforcing Russian tanks have no idea about what their mission is: what orders have you given them?
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Thanks, UP844 and the Big Ivan for your comments. As long as somebody is crazy enough to download my stuff
I'll continue to do so. Raybert1123 sent me a ton of scenarios and just in time too because I was quickly running
out of fresh material.

Criticism is always welcome as a means to improve. I'll continue to be the "porter" of scenarios and leave the
design of new stuff to others more competent. That's the niche I have carved out for myself in this forum similar
to Rico.

Thanks and SeeYa! [:)]
gehrig38

RE: Guderian's March v4

Post by gehrig38 »

Ok, huge rework. Worked on adding defensive orders to every russian unit inc reinforcements. I am playing with FOW off and see all units to see if the AI changes I made actually look and act like an opponent.
As always feedback is welcome. BTW if anyone cares here is my list of "stuff" I'd love to see (recognizing NONE of this is easy)
1) Building Levels
2) SW usage by both sides
3) Gullies
4) Rooftops for RB factories
5) Ability to split squads into 1/2
6) Ability to combine 1/2 squads
6a) Ability to voluntarily break and rout
6c) Ability to use assault AND spray fire
7) Ability to transfer SW
8) Maps setup like ASL maps from a hexrow standpoint, "Turning them one rotation right"
9) AI = Better all around for Comp units (I know this is an insanely tough thing)
10) Unlimited OBA to allow for more than 2 modules for potential "CG" scenarios
11) Steeples
12) Ability to multi hex Firegroup with a leader(s) (might be my 1st or 2nd most important improvement)
13) Pretty comfortable that if I design or replicate an "ASL" type scenario, I can make a far more compelling player experience creating it to be played by a specific side. Would love, again I know how hard it is, to see attack/defend AI as something we as a group help create to get better with recommendations.
14) MPs displayed AS a unit(s) moves
15) Continued work on the LOS engine (would love to understand how it works now, in detail). I have a decent idea how it works but would love to know the nuts and bolts to make legitimate requests rather than crap that has no earthly shot of being coded. Is there any possible way to make the actual artwork have 'presence'? meaning like a real life LOS check on a mapboard, the game could determine hex center to hex center with a virtual 'string' and any artwork outside inherent terrain would be 'real', and if that virtual string crossed any of that art it would block LOS? Inherent terrain I imagine is 'easy'....
16) Ability to create Firelanes
17) Ability to pre-register OBA hexes
18) Wire
19) Foxholes
20) MINES!!!
21) Roadblocks
22) HIP!!!!!!!!
23) Dummy counters!

ADDING
24) Passengers
25) ...

I want to reiterate that I think this game is about the best I've ever played at replicating ASL, without needing the ASL rulebook. And let me please add that you guys that created this did so in the background. I heard about this game but it got nowhere near the recognition it should have. And I would add that if there is somehow a resurgence in this game from a creative standpoint I, as one of the folks with the ASL copyright from Hasbro, would EMPHATICALLY push to get a crap ton of publicity around a 're-launch" along with the MMP guys. It's that good.
Attachments
MyZip.zip
(36.15 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
rmmwilg

RE: Guderian's March v4

Post by rmmwilg »

Total amen (+!) to all that gehrig!

One thing is already in place - you can xfer SW's in admin phase using CTL+W. If I remember right, you select both units and the SW. It's in another of these forums somewhere. Sorry, been a while since I used it now!
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Da Sunday surprise...

Bridges at Leipzig

Leipzig, Germany, April 15, 1945: During the closing weeks in the war in Europe, the American
advance penetrated into the heart of Germany. All along the way, the badly disorganized German
army threw any and all weapons and troops available into the fight, including Volksturm and Flak
units. On April 15th elements of the 23rd Infantry Division moved into the outskirts of Leipzig,
Germany's fifth-largest city. To enter the central district of town, the Americans had to secure
the three canal bridges. Company G was assigned to this mission. Captain McDonald held 1st platoon
in reserve to provide machinegun and mortar covering fire. 2nd platoon would take the first bridge,
3rd platoon would cross and take the center bridge.

Game length: 6 turns

For the Americans to win they must establish bridgeheads across the canal
For the Germans to win they must prevent the Americans from establishing bridgeheads

American: Squads, HMG, MMG's, MTR, BAZ's
Germans: Squads, MMG, LMG's

Boards: #10, #23

Aftermath: When 2nd platoon was delayed by German machinegun fire, 3rd platoon moved across the bridge
half-mile south meeting little resistance. Outflanked, the remaining German troops pulled out, joining
their comrades in the fight eastward, leaving the city to be defended by the local police force.

Source: Coastal Fortress, Scenario BB 18.1: Bridges at Leipzig

Attachments
BridgesatLeipzig.zip
(23.64 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Here's the Waffen $$ versus the 82nd Airborne in the Ardennes...

The Sledgehammer

The Ardennes, Sunday, December 24, 1944: Jochim Peiper's troops were cut off and his supplies
were dwindling. His only chance was to break out through the vital crossroads at Stavelot. The
only problem was that it was defended by the 82nd Airborne.

Game Length: 9 turns

For the Germans to win they must capture the building that controls the Stavelot Crossroads
For the Americans to win they must maintain control of the crossroads

Germans: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, PSK, AFV's
Americans: Squads, MMG's, BAZ's, AT Guns

Boards: #10, #11

Aftermath: After a bloody fight the SS withdrew, leaving the grim paratroopers in control of the
town. Further attempts would prove unsuccessful but at a high cost.

SOURCE: On All Fronts magazine, Scenario 77.1 The Sledgehammer

Attachments
TheSledgehammer.zip
(23.2 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Here's a short tournament scenario from 1986.

Mean Streets

Adapted for ASL play by John Letts from the scenario "The Guards Counterattack".

Game Length: 4 turns

For the Russians to win they must capture as many buildings as possible
For the Germans to win they must defend the buildings

Russians: Squads, MMG
Germans: Squads, HMG, MMG, LMG's, DC

Boards: #21

Source: On All Fronts, Origins '86 ASL Tournament, Scenario 46.2, Mean Streets

Attachments
MeanStreets.zip
(20.56 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Here I sit at 109 freakin degrees Fahrenheit while my ac is being replaced with a laptop, Raybert1123 reservoir of scenarios, and a Diet Coke and this one caught
my eye...

Ice Follies

The Don, North of Voronezh, Soviet Union, February 14, 1943: During the long winter of 1942-43,
the German 2nd Army held a defensive line along the Don. The Soviets launched repeated attacks
against this line during and after the fall of Stalingrad. These attacks often came at night and
always tested the nerve of both attacker and defender.

For the Russians to win they must take the island
For the Germans to win they must hold

Russians: Squads, MMG, LMG's
Germans: Squads, HMG, MMG, LMG's, MTR

Boards: #2, #7

Aftermath: The islands fell during the night, but before dawn, the Germans mounted a counterattack
and took them back in vicious hand-to-hand fighting.

Source: BP/Michicon '88, Scenario B2, Ice Follies

Attachments
IceFollies.zip
(23.55 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Sam,

I feel for you, really I do! It never gets to 109F here in Ohio! But it has got to 92F and 85% relative humidity with a dew point of 82F and its un-freaking bearable!! Get this I don't have central air conditioning so I'm plowing down a lot of water when those days come a along. Bright side the Great Lakes in particular Lake Erie is not to far north of me. Oh yes the beautiful cool water of Lake Erie, thank you mother nature! The Great Lakes, 20% of the fresh water on the planet!!

But before you curse me, those Great Lakes and their respective snow machines can be a royal bitch in the winter, trust me! December, January and February are not fun times to drive on the roads!

Get cool and Good Luck Sam and thanks for the recent scenarios!!

John[;)]
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Yeah, John, that's why I moved south to get away from all that winter stuff. While driving I slid thru an intersection in Omaha and luckily wasn't hit but it scared me enough to swear "I'm getting out of here!"
But the winters here can't be beat [;)]

Well, here comes another scenario that reminds me of the old days growing up in the streets of New York City...

Urban Guerillas

Vienna, Austria, April 9, 1945: With the Allied armies closing on the crumbling Reich, most Germans,
especially those in the Waffen SS, were occupied with one goal: escape from the Russians and surrender
to the Western Allies. This included Sepp Dietrich's 6th Panzer Army which intended to hold the way open
to the very last minute, regardless of the threat to encirclement. In Vienna, with its many canals
parallel to the Danube River, this was especially problematic. The 2nd SS Panzer Division, "Das Reich,"
would form the rearguard as Tolbukhin's 4th Ukranian Army closed in on the beautiful city.

Game Length: 8.5 turns

For the Germans to win they must hold the main buildings protecting the bridge over the canal
For the Russians to win they must take the Germans' escape route across the canal

Germans: Squads, MMG, LMG's, PSK's, AA Gun, AFV's
Russians: Squads, HMG, LMG's, FT, DC's, AFV's

Boards: #22, #23

Aftermath: Although Das Reich had no desire to sacrifice himself for the rest of the German 6th Army,
it was not about to surrender to the Russians either. One area of bitter fighting was around the
picturesque Prater Park with St. Steven's Cathedral overlooked by the Florindorf Bridge. The people of
Vienna did not want their beautiful city to suffer the same fate as Warsaw and Budapest. So the local
leaders made a deal with the Russians. Help would be available if the artillery bombardment was called
off. As the Red Army upheld its end of the bargain, the partisan activity would remain a constant thorn in
Deitrich's side during the last weeks of the war. Nevertheless, many SS troopers were able to break out
to the west and surrender to the Americans. In an ironic twist of fate, they would ultimately be turned
over to the Russians anyway, most to disappear forever.

Source: ASL Scenario J1, Urban Guerillas, by Pete Shelling

Attachments
UrbanGuerillas.zip
(24.61 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Watch it, here it comes...

Armored Calvary

Keppeln, Germany, February 26, 1945: As 1945 began, the Allied armies in northwest Europe prepared
for the final offensive to end the war. In the north, Field Marshal Montgomery made his plans to
clear the west bank of the Rhine River. In early February, the 1st Canadian Army would attack south
from the area of Nijmegen while the US 9th Army would attack northwards across the Roer River, the
two forces converging on Wesel to crush the German forces between them. By the middle of February, the
Germans realized that the Rechswald could not be held and fell back. To prevent the 1st Canadian Army
from closing too quickly, the Germans left strong forces in the outlying villages with orders to hold
to the last.

For the Canadians to win they must control the major buildings in the Hamlet of Keppeln
For the Germans to win they must hold the town against the Canadians

Canadians: Squads, LMG's, PIAT's, AFV's
German: Squads, MMG, LMG, PSK, AFV's

Boards: #10, #19

Aftermath: Early in the morning the North Shore Regiment advanced into the hamlet of Keppeln without
tank support. The attack quickly became bogged down as the well-concealed Germans peppered the assault
with heavy machinegun and artillery fire. The North Shore Regiment needed armored support to overcome
the tough German defense. C Squadron under cover of an artillery barrage and carrying infantry PIAT
squads rushed the village at full speed with all guns blazing. Several tanks bogged in the wet ground
and a large number of tanks were knocked out of commission. The tanks and squads fought through the
murderous fire to reach the village and after several hours of vicious fighting finally overcome the
defenders.

Source: Coastal Fortress, Scenario PK 4.2, Armored Cavalry by Paul Kenny

Attachments
ArmoredCavalry.zip
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Well, guys, I had a problem with my PC that required I re-install TotH but now the latest saved scenario
I was working on would no longer load because it was created using a different version of TotH. Yet, I could
start a new game and can still edit so I'm taking a chance and uploaded what I had done previously. Let me
also add that none of my saved games are now playable. Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll remove it and start over. SeeYa!

Refusal on the Flank

Near lake Muolaa, Finland, December 23, 1939: During December, the commander of the II Corps,
Lt. General Ohquist, had made several propositions to the Finnish High Command about a general
counterattack. Mannerheim didn't approve them until December 19th, when it became clear that
the Finnish defenders had repelled the first Soviet attempts to break the Finnish main defense
line. The Finns were aware that the Red Army was concentrating more forces between Summa and
Muolaanjarvi (lake Muolaa), so the possible benefits of a successful counterattack were better
than before. The motivations for the attack were to reduce the combat effectiveness of the
Soviet divisions. The plan was to make two attacks on the flanks (the 6th Division on the right,
near Summa, and the 1st Division was on the left, near Lake Muolaa). The 1st Division was to
attack with its main force along the railway until the 1st objective was reached (the rairoad-road
crossing and the lake Muolaa - Lake Perk isthmus). After that, the division would prepare a further
advance to the southwest and secure the positions against enemy forces from the south and southeast.

Game Length: 9 Turns

For the Finns to win they must capture the buildings Near Lake Muolaa
For the Russians to win they must hold the buildings

Finnish: Squads, MMG, LMG's, ATR's
Russians: Squads, HMG, LMG's, ART Guns, AFV's

Boards: #5, #42

Aftermath: The JR 14, commanded by Colonel V. Polttila, was ready at the ordered attack time, but
didn't start the advance because the 3rd Brigade was late. At 0830 hours the regiment received a
direct order to launch the attack. The attack began without preliminary artillery bombardment. The
3rd Battalion advanced several kilometers without opposition, until it encountered a Soviet artillery
battalion protected in every direction by direct firing field guns, 11 tanks and numerous machineguns.
The leading company of the 3rd Battalion (the 7th), launched a swift probe, supported by machineguns
but was repulsed by the concentrated fire of the Linnaleiri ("castle camp", a nickname for the Soviet
positions). Part of the 8th Company was sent to flank the enemy but encountered a Soviet motorized
detachment supported by four armored cars west of the Linnaleiri. The elements of the 8th Company were
forced to retreat.

Source: Coastal Fortress, Scenario PK 7.1, Refusal on the Flank by Paul Kenny

Attachments
RefusalontheFlank.zip
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Raybert1123

Post by Raybert1123 »

It works fine for me. I'm running ver. 1.1.09
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Thanks Ray! One less thing to worry about [;)]
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Sam, works for me also. I'm also running 1.1.09.

John[;)]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”