A Clash of Titans, Xhoel (Axis) vs Bitburger (Soviet)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

xhoel

T57

Post by xhoel »

T57, 16th of July-23rd of July 1942.
AGN

In the Finnish sector, the Finnish air force launched surprise air raids against Soviet air bases, destroying 58 aircraft (mostly fighters).

The Soviets reopened the pocket in the north after committing 4 Cavalry Corps to a powerful attack that pushed the 20th Panzer Division back. The formations that were trapped in the pocket are moving towards their lines, while the Cavalry Corps seem to have been pulled back behind the Volga.

AGN goal for this week was to reach the Volga and to encircle any Soviet units that have been left behind. To complete this task, the infantry formations have been ordered to secure the Medveditsa river line to the south and to clear an advance path to the north. After heavy fighting (in which the panzers also took part) we secured the said positions.

After this task was completed, the Panzer forces were thrown forward with the goal of reaching the Volga. Leftover Soviet units have been encircled in the process after bitter fighting on the west bank of the river. On 1 occasion the Soviets, held back two attacks before collapsing to a third German attack by 2 Panzer and 1 Motorized Division. By the end of the week, we had reached the river in 3 places. Attempts to secure another positions failed after Soviets held back 2 attacks.

We are confident that the pockets will hold this time, but the risk of strong counterattacks persists since the Soviets still have bridgeheads over the river and reserves nearby.

4 Rifle Divisions (weakened) and 2 Rifle Brigades have been trapped in the north.

Positions at the start of the week:

Positions after German moves:

Circled in red are Soviet holds,circled in white are Soviet double holds.

3rd Battle for the position shown above:

Attachments
Rzhevbothbattles.jpg
Rzhevbothbattles.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 286 times
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
xhoel

RE: T57

Post by xhoel »

AGC

Soviet forces pushed back the forward 29th Mot. Division causing heavy losses to the unit. The enemy has regained the forward territory they lost last week but has not attempted to reduce the bridgehead. They have brought more units to the sector and are constructing fortifications in the planned advance path.

The main goal for the week was to expand the bridgehead to allow for free movement of men and material under safe conditions.
The Infantry divisions of the 2nd Army have completed the task perfectly (albeit they have taken heavy losses), pushing back Soviet forces and allowing motorized and armored divisions to press forward and secure the new positions. A powerful attack by the LVI Panzer Corps which intended to expand the bridgehead even more, failed and we took heavy losses in the process.

The bridgehead is secure and should hold. 5 armored divisions south of the Oka have been resupplied by air.

Positions after Axis moves:

The Soviets have launched a surprise offensive that stretches from our positions near the Oka to north-west of Stalingrad. In the Center the enemy has opened a 60 mile gap after routing 1 division and encircling another one. Soviet armored reserves have been finally committed to battle. The enemy has exploited the gaps in our lines but has not launched many attacks in this sector.

Here the Soviets have concentrated 14 armored formations, 11 of which are in the rear and have not been committed to battle yet and the other 3 (2nd, 4th, 6th Tank Corps) have been committed to the offensive operation. The armored formations are being supported by a big concentration of Rifle divisions.

To deal with this crisis we have pushed forward the XXXXVI Panzer Corps to counterattack and restore the front. The infantry of the 4th Panzer Army has also been committed piecemeal.

After multiple attacks, we have been able to free the encircled 385th ID, rout 1 Tank Corps, restore a defensive line and also cut off 2 Rifle Divisions, 1 AT Artillery Brigade and 1 Tank Corps. However only 1 Rifle division and the AT artillery Brigade are in a “secure encirclement”, the other 2 formations will escape. Our attacks were successful but very costly, the 14th Panzer (60% ready TOE) and the 36th Mot. Division (70% ready TOE) have suffered heavy losses and this is reflected in their readiness.

An attentive viewer will notice that this offensive is pretty similar to the one launched in the autumn of 1941 and which was very successful. However this time, we have reserves nearby and will make a stand.

This will cost us however, as the push for Moscow will have to be weakened in order to restore the lines in the other sectors of the front. The Soviets are using a smart strategy.

Armored formations in the sector:

Positions at the end of the week:

Attachments
Tulaafterfinal.jpg
Tulaafterfinal.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 286 times
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Well done to the Soviets in centre but I would say it is essentially a diversionary attack. It is about committing German reserves. However I do spy Clausewitz jaws starting to clamp shut...
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

AGS

The Soviets struck the 2nd Hungarian Army in 3 places, pushing the Hungarians back and causing them heavy losses. They have also struck the lone German divisions and have exploited the gaps in our lines to push units forward. The 6th Army has been ordered to retreat and reestablish defensive lines, while counterattacking where possible. In doing so we have trapped a Soviet Rifle Division.

(It was not my intention to do so. I was expecting the Rifle Division to retreat east, but they retreated west isolating themselves, which is quite silly. Due to the ZOC rules, I cannot extract the forward 384th ID because they lacked the MP to move and are in risk of being cut off).

The situation is not good, infantry divisions defending in the open without fortifications against numerically superior Soviets does not bode well for us. The weakest link remains the 2nd Hungarian Army but I expect to be forced to retreat again next week. Reinforcements are needed here to stabilize the front.

On the Don front, the Soviets pushed units across the river in 7 locations. We have pushed back 6 of them but one bridgehead remains. The I Rumanian Corps has arrived as reinforcements. If the Soviets increase the pressure here, we will be forced to commit additional units to the defense.

In the Rostov sector the pocket held. However to our surprise, the Soviets chose to keep their forward positions and have not pulled back. Orders came down to destroy the units in the pocket and then advance south, crossing the landbridge between the rivers Yeya and Manych. To clear the pocket we committed 2 Panzer divisions and some infantry divisions from the 17th Army. We had to commit Panzers since the enemy was in strong defensive positions in 3 locations and the infantry couldn't reach these positions and attack (not enough MP). The other reason was to get some easy wins for the newly arrived 24th Panzer Division (morale farming). This didn't really go as expected but at the end of the week the pocket was completely cleared.

After this was done, our forces moved south and have opened a 40 mile gap in the Soviet lines. In the process, 2 Soviet Rifle Divisions and 1 Rifle Brigade were encircled. The pocket should hold but forward units have taken very heavy losses during their advance. 4 armored formations have been resupplied by air.

Attachments
Hungarianfinal.jpg
Hungarianfinal.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 286 times
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Well done to the Soviets in centre but I would say it is essentially a diversionary attack. It is about committing German reserves. However I do spy Clausewitz jaws starting to clamp shut...

Indeed, it caught me off guard and it was well executed. We are advancing slowly but steady. Combat losses are mounting up!
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Crimea

In the Crimea, the 11th Army made good progress this week, 3 attacks managed to drop the fort level from 4.56 to 3.08. After Soviet repairs it will go to 3.10. We are confident that Sevastopol will fall next week, however this will have to be completed without the help of the 600mm Heavy Mortars which will withdraw next week.

Clearing Sevastopol remains a big objective as reserves are needed in other sectors of the front especially in the Center.

Start of the week:

Positions at the end of the week:

3rd Battle for Sevastopol:

Attachments
Crimeafinal.jpg
Crimeafinal.jpg (1012.16 KiB) Viewed 286 times
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Casualties

We have taken very heavy casualties this week, the heaviest since January. The Axis lost 20.000 KIA and a total of 300 AFVs. Soviet losses have not been low either, 125.000 irrecoverable casualties and 200 AFVs.

In the Air, we lost 162 airframes to 561 of the Soviets.

Ground Losses:

Air Losses:

tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

That are rather high casualties in the air and on the ground, hard fight. Still I think the Soviets will break eventually if you keep pocketing them.

Why do you try to capture Sevastopol against such resistance? If it is gifted one can take it, but I doubt that the investment of 3-4 strong corps over several weeks is worth it to be honest for location that has neither manpower nor industry nor too much strategic relevance (at least not when I would shoot for 1942/43 victory as in this game, otherwise it may have?).
But it looks like you slowly get the upper hand (unless the Sovs ship in another rifle corps). Attritional warfare Kraut style.

The Soviet's player Sevastopol Setup is not optimal, better would be two rifle corps attached to an airborne corps HQ. Without HQ, his defenders are chronically short of ammo and supplies, otherwise the loss ratio would be much worse for the Axis.

xhoel

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

That are rather high casualties in the air and on the ground, hard fight. Still I think the Soviets will break eventually if you keep pocketing them.

Indeed. Very heavy casualties and at times very strange. I will make a separate post about this but will give you a sneak peak. Deliberate attack by a German Infantry Division with arty support against a lone Rifle Brigade (which routed) caused 200 KIAs for the Germans and 15 KIAs for the Soviets. I am seeing such strange results over and over and these kind of results are what are driving casualties up the roof. Attacks that push the enemy across a major river also have little impact on losses. In my opinion they should be higher.

Why do you try to capture Sevastopol against such resistance? If it is gifted one can take it, but I doubt that the investment of 3-4 strong corps over several weeks is worth it to be honest for location that has neither manpower nor industry nor too much strategic relevance (at least not when I would shoot for 1942/43 victory as in this game, otherwise it may have?).
But it looks like you slowly get the upper hand (unless the Sovs ship in another rifle corps). Attritional warfare Kraut style.

The Soviet's player Sevastopol Setup is not optimal, better would be two rifle corps attached to an airborne corps HQ. Without HQ, his defenders are chronically short of ammo and supplies, otherwise the loss ratio would be much worse for the Axis.

I know that if you see it in a rational way, it doesn't make a lot of sense but I have my reasons for doing so. The most important one is the way I'm interpreting the VP system. I am seeing the VP cities as objectives (either strategic or political) set by the OKH. As such Sevastopol in game fits both those roles: a) it is the greatest fortress in the world in 1942 and taking it would mean a major boost of morale for the Germans, b) taking the city would mean I no longer have to worry about naval invasions (due to implemented house rules) and c) it will bring me VP points (tied to point a) until at least 1944 and d) it makes for a fun and immersive game.

I am confident the city will fall next week. That will free all those strong divisions to assist the push on Moscow, with the rest joining AGS in the push towards the Kuban.

And I am not aiming for a victory in 42/43. I know my opponent is ready to go until 1945 and I am willing to meet him at that so I am planning for the long run.

That was initially his plan, but it seems my opponent is lacking the naval capacity to move another Corps in. It seems that he is doing just fine without an HQ there so far. He has resupplied the units by air.

One thing that really bothers me with Sevastopol however is that the Soviet defenders will probably all rout which is very unrealistic and it present a win win situation for the Soviets. It would be much better for them to surrender (as they did historically) as it would present the Soviet player with a decision: Should I hold the city and risk losing these units or should I abandon it and save them? The way it works now, I have no clue why any Soviet player would want to give away Sevastopol. It is a defenders dream: narrow front, good fort levels, good defensive terrain, secure supply etc.

I hope I have shed some light into why I am doing what I am doing.

tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Agree about the casualties, once the Soviet units have exp and morale at their NM level, casualty ratios are good for them (I am not whining!) (it compensates for the high Soviet attrition losses)

Ah, so you play with the continous VP system, then it makes some sense ofc.
And I am not aiming for a victory in 42/43.
Is the 260VP or 290VP auto victory threshold still active in the scenario played here?
If yes, from my gut feeling auto victory should be doable here. Seeing that AAR going to 1945 would be very nice too of course.

I hope I have shed some light into why I am doing what I am doing.
You did, great customer support!
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Agree about the casualties, once the Soviet units have exp and morale at their NM level, casualty ratios are good for them (I am not whining!) (it compensates for the high Soviet attrition losses)

Ah, so you play with the continous VP system, then it makes some sense ofc.

I guess there is a case to be made there but have not looked into the numbers to say for sure. It does come off as a bit weird though. We are playing Bitter End if that is what you mean and all VP objectives give points twice during a turn (once during your go and again during your opponents go).

Is the 260VP or 290VP auto victory threshold still active in the scenario played here?
If yes, from my gut feeling auto victory should be doable here. Seeing that AAR going to 1945 would be very nice too of course.

You did, great customer support!

No that is not the case in this scenario. The game goes till September 1945 no matter what (unless one of us resigns before that). I am looking forward to bringing it to 1945. Have never played past the summer of 1941 so everything so far is new to me. As a big WW2 enthusiast I am looking forward to see how the game recreates the later war situation.

Am glad I could be of help. Questions are always welcome and I am happy to provide answers.

Cheers!
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Just to add to this and the following points on Sevastopol. We had a similar debate in the Axis team of the 8MP game where I was strongly of the view that it was worth committing a lot to the most rapid capture of Sevastopol possible. Admittedly we did not face rifle corps etc.

My reasoning, based on old games of my own, was that committing an army for a month or two is actually less than committing a corps there for a couple of years. If you do not take Sevastopol then you will need forces there for the rest of the game to keep them penned in anyway. So you are investing more for forces in a short period of time to free up forces for a very long period of time - it is a net plus.

Additionally Sevastopol starts to become a pain when the tide turns and the soviet side is on the offensive. This is especially true if amphibious landings are allowed as you then have to cover the coast west of Sevastopol. By contrast if you take the whole of Crimea it can be quite easy to hold on to it with a division or two at kerch and similarly at the entrances to the peninsula. So it can be some valuable real estate you can hold onto with minimum commitment for quite a long time.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

My reasoning, based on old games of my own, was that committing an army for a month or two is actually less than committing a corps there for a couple of years. If you do not take Sevastopol then you will need forces there for the rest of the game to keep them penned in anyway. So you are investing more for forces in a short period of time to free up forces for a very long period of time - it is a net plus.

If there is nothing else on the map to do, or if you expect to be on the defending side soon, I see the points.
Otherwise I would enjoy seeing a sizeable Soviet army parked in a location with very low activity, while my forces overrun manpower centres and pocket units on the open fields. In this case the Southern pincer of operation typhoon Nr. 2 would be a very good place for the forces from Sevastopol, it looks to be short of infantry support.

Assuming lvl two forts and your def CV=Soviet offensive CV in the Sevastopol hex as the requirement for successful blocking, you need 9 of your offensive CV for every 20 offensive CV the Soviets commit. A very good deal given the force ratios in 1942, especially because you can deploy Rumanians here which are of limited offensive use.

(1 off CV in wood hex with lvl 2 fort=4 def CV and 1 off CV in rough hex with lvl 2 fort=5 def CV), it is even better once lvl 3 is reached (11 of your offensive CV for every 30 offensive CV the Soviets commit).

You also have the advantage of inner lines, withdrawing from Sevastopol and redeploying to the main front takes the Sovs far longer than for the Axis side, which has a direct rail connection while the reds need to ship first and then travel a very long arc by rail.
Same for reinforcing Sevastopol for a coup de main or to counter a build up of the other side.
Additionally Sevastopol starts to become a pain when the tide turns and the soviet side is on the offensive. This is especially true if amphibious landings are allowed as you then have to cover the coast west of Sevastopol. By contrast if you take the whole of Crimea it can be quite easy to hold on to it with a division or two at kerch and similarly at the entrances to the peninsula. So it can be some valuable real estate you can hold onto with minimum commitment for quite a long time.
Once the Sovs are more restricted by available front line then by their forces, I agree. If sea landings are a threat again depends on the force ratio and available reserves, they also can result in the Soviets losing units for little in return.
xhoel

T58

Post by xhoel »

T58, 23rd of July-30th of July 1942

The Soviets launched multiple attacks against our airbases and scored some kills on the ground (mostly fighters) but took very heavy losses in the process.

AGN

Soviet reserves launched an attack to open the pocket but failed to push back our forces. 3 Cavalry Corps took heavy losses due to German local counterattacks (C). This week, AGN destroyed the trapped Soviet forces (which were severely understrength) with ease and attacked the exposed Soviet Cavalry Corps, pushing them back in an attack that saw heavy losses on both sides. We attacked with 6 Infantry divisions against 2 exposed Soviet Cavalry Guard division and took a pyrrhic victory.Losses were expected to be much lower but this wasn't the case.

Other attacks followed, pushing the Soviets across the Volga. German forces attacked the northernmost Soviet positions on the river and managed to push them back and secure a bridgehead. Our troops are now in position all along the river lines. The goal for next week will be to expand the bridgehead and cross the Volga in force.

AGN at the start of the week:

AGN after German moves:

Attachments
AGNafterfinal.jpg
AGNafterfinal.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 285 times
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
xhoel

RE: T58

Post by xhoel »

AGC

Our forces keep pushing forward in the Oka sector. We have expanded our bridgehead even more and in the process a semi salient has formed at Ryazan. Going with what we have seen so far from the enemy, we are guessing that the Soviets will make a stand and not pull back from this area. A German attack coming from the south failed to dislodge Soviet defenders on the river line. Additional reinforcements and the XXXXVI Panzer Corps have been moved to the area and are preparing for renewed attacks next week. The enemy has brought additional reserves, in total 12 Guard Rifle Division, 1 Guard Rifle Corps and 4 Guard Cavalry Corps are deployed in the sector.

Armored formations have been resupplied by air and should be able to retain their mobility next week.

Oka sector at the start of the week:

In the Penza sector the pocket created held and the trapped Soviet forces were destroyed swiftly. We launched numerous attacks and forced 5 Soviet formations to rout. The plan is to continue the attacks in order to secure the rail line and to get better defensive positions on the river line to the east.

Attacks were also launched in the 2nd Hungarian Army sector and were successful even though they came at a heavy cost.
In the Saratov sector the enemy launched 2 powerful attacks that forced two German divisions back. We counterattacked this week and have restored a proper frontline.

Attachments
Tulaafterfinal.jpg
Tulaafterfinal.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 285 times
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

AGS

German attacks on Soviet bridgeheads over the Don continued this week and most gaps in the line have been filled.

In the south the enemy has pulled back around 60 miles towards the Kuban. The pocket of Soviet units held and was destroyed swiftly. This week the 17th Army was ordered to move south to support the fast advancing 1st Panzer Army which has come within 40 miles of Krasnodar and has encircled 3 Soviet Rifle divisions in the process while opening a gap in the Soviet defenses. The enemy has strong forces in the area and will probably try to relieve the trapped units. The drive towards the Kuban also means that Army Group South will split into two Army Groups next week.

Stalingrad and Don river line sectors:

AGS overview at the start of the week:

AGS after Axis moves:

Attachments
Krasnodar.jpg
Krasnodar.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 285 times
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Crimea

To our big surprise, we failed to take Sevastopol this week. All 3 attacks were repulsed by the Soviets. The second attack was very close to crossing the 1.5 odds ratio which is needed to drop fort levels by 1 full level. Soviet losses are mounting however as the garrison is losing its strength. The biggest worry right now is that the Soviets will bring in a new Rifle Corps in the fortress which would cause a lot of problems for us. Fort level was dropped to 2.48.

Crimea before and after German attacks:

Not the best unit disposition by our side. We underestimated the Soviets.

Sevastopol losses:

Attachments
Crimeawithbattle.jpg
Crimeawithbattle.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 285 times
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Casualties

Heavy losses this week on both sides. The Axis took around 16.000 KIAs while the Soviets suffered 95.500 irrecoverable losses. Losses in AFVs and Guns were also high, 140 and 600 respectively.

The Soviets have revamped their Rifle Squads and are utilizing a new Squad structure which has been termed Rifle Squad 42 by our intelligence services. The new squads are smaller (9 men as opposed to 11) and are missing 1 rifleman and 1 Sub-machinegunner so they bring less firepower to an engagement.

New Soviet Rifle Squads:

In the Air the losses have been quite high as well, ratios are at 5.7 : 1

Attachments
RifleSquad2.jpg
RifleSquad2.jpg (461.02 KiB) Viewed 285 times
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I think in the Caucasus the Soviet side made a mistake in creating that straight line of units north of the Kuban. If they had dropped back a couple of hexes they would have had the river Kuban and the swamps with Krasnodar to help and further slow you down.

I see German troops are intermixed geographically with Hungarians, but have you thought about putting Hungarian units into German HQs and vice versa? In particular the Hungarian tank divisions, which are motorised, would get a +1 to their ratings checks if they were in a Panzer HQ? I know a Hungarian Tank division is not the same as a German one, but it is still a good unit and can have some very useful movement points too?

My guess is the Soviet side is very clear about the Clausewitz approach now and is putting their best units in the places where the jaws should shut.
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

I think in the Caucasus the Soviet side made a mistake in creating that straight line of units north of the Kuban. If they had dropped back a couple of hexes they would have had the river Kuban and the swamps with Krasnodar to help and further slow you down.

I think the main reason for doing is is that the Soviets underestimated the fuel situation of the 1st Panzer Army. I'm guessing they did not expect me to have such a high mobility and used the tactic of defending in front of a river, which they have used before successfully.

I think the advance will slow down quite a bit as the infantry moves forward and is trying to catch up with the spearheads. Also they have reserves at bay and could counterattack my forward units.

I see German troops are intermixed geographically with Hungarians, but have you thought about putting Hungarian units into German HQs and vice versa? In particular the Hungarian tank divisions, which are motorised, would get a +1 to their ratings checks if they were in a Panzer HQ? I know a Hungarian Tank division is not the same as a German one, but it is still a good unit and can have some very useful movement points too?

Yes, I have thought of that. The Hungarian Tank division which you see in that sector was moved there as an emergency solution to the gap that the Soviets created in the area 1 turn ago. That's why you see many units intermixed, it was a stopgap solution to prevent the Soviets from expanding their offensive and creating a problem and from what I can tell, it worked.

The 1st Hungarian Tank Division will move south and will be part of the 1st Panzer Army just like all other Axis Allied motorized forces. They are there temporarily.

My guess is the Soviet side is very clear about the Clausewitz approach now and is putting their best units in the places where the jaws should shut.

It sure appears to be so. The number of Guard units in the sector is increasing each week. The thing I am most worried about right now however is the location of the rest of the Soviet Cavalry Corps. I have spotted 5 in the north and another 4 are located on the Oka. That makes 9. So I am have no clue about the whereabouts of 7 Soviet Cavalry formations. Will see if they resurface but am hoping for no big surprises.

Thanks for the comment Tele, always a pleasure to hear from you!
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465

Return to “After Action Reports”