Second Front (that new in development tactical game)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

RE: Second Front (that new in development tactical game)

Post by wodin »

Has map editor. I believe so far Germans, Russians, USA and Commonwealth.

I have high hopes this game wIll have everything a tactical wargame should have. Finally no missing feature here and there.

Yes it's still early development currently he has just fixed loading and unloading transport. He is now moving on to adding MGs and there varieties. I'm sure for such early development we all can see something special in the making.
wodin

Post by wodin »

As for cartoony visuals, I really love the look. It works for me!

Apparently Stalingrad factory battles will be able to be replicated! Hurrah!

I also believe it may go to Kickstarter later down the line. So I hope all interested will go onto back it! I certainly will be doing. I'm behind anyone who is developing a decent looking tactical wargame.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Video showing Close Combat will be released today.

Editor vids next week! Will have two editors a map one and a scenario one!

Seems to have everything we've been asking for!
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Wish they had a public address for folks who refused to use Facebook.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

But theres no guide horns on the Panthers track!!!!!! ;)

Shut up and take my money!
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Wish they had a public address for folks who refused to use Facebook.

The dev is reachable through their YouTube channel as well.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
wodin

Post by wodin »

All nations have equipment covering 39 to 45

I was mistaken though first release just Germans, Russians and USA
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Another vote for a non facebook site. I refuse to join facebook.
DownNOut

Post by DownNOut »

I am eager to see what the editors will look like
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

So no Poland, France, low countries, Finland, Italy, and/or UK? So until Germany attacks the Soviet Union (Russia) then the Germans just play with themselves? [X(][8|]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

WOAAAAA what a little big pearl hide appear in the mud of summer [&o]

I am not a big fan of cartoon style but this is enough realistic to dont hurt my "i want it feels and looks real" soul.

I like the editor, i like the decision of add the complex system for buildings, i like see on map commanders but i have some questions.

1-for me a tactical wargame needs show strenght of units in soldiers-crew members, i dont see this in the videos... whats the point behind an infantry squad strenght??? and vehicles have a lot of details but lack the crew part (in this area i am totally towards Steel Panthers model, you can neutralize a vehicle killing crew or simple disabling main armament apart different nations and units have different squad strenght in armament and nº of soldiers).

2-even when i like a Steel panthers model with all WWII in one title without DLCs i dont see bad a DLC model to expand the missing nations in WWII (and the 3rd front).

3-related with point 2 i am curious if engine can be used to expand game to cover cold war... hipotetical WWIII in 40s and cover later options (50s-60s-70s-80s) AND have this in same base WWII game to create things like USA army from WWII VS Soviet post WWII army.

4-skirmish mode??? and if is present support nation X VS nation X and allies VS allies, axis VS axis???

5-ok, multiple levels buildings, thats nice, its a rare thing in tactical PC wargames but... we are going to see "rattenkrieg"???

6-is assault implemente in game??? i refer move your units into enemy hex and perform a melee combat... not force you need kill by fire enemy in an hex to enter.

I add this to my list, because a like what i see and well, why dont say it... i am bored of wait know something about "Vaporware Tigers" [>:]

I support to the non FaceBook to follow the game, maybe create a blog or similar.

MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

So no Poland, France, low countries, Finland, Italy, and/or UK? So until Germany attacks the Soviet Union (Russia) then the Germans just play with themselves? [X(][8|]

Squad Leader, easily one of the greatest wargames of all time, was released with Just Germans and Russians and Americans. It did just fine. It took several years to end up with British and French. It did just fine.

You'll survive waiting.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

It should be noted, this game isn't even in Alpha let alone Beta to my knowledge.

And to my knowledge, it is the work of one person. And it's not their day job.

But he has been at this for some time, and is open to input.

Those that refuse to entertain using Facebook, will just have to settle for tid bits here and on other sites where his supporters are active.

I'm hoping to share what I glean, and he's receptive to that as well.

I'm confident his objective will be reached.

This game looks like it could potentially leave a lot of other designs in it's dust.
DownNOut

Post by DownNOut »

The editor looks easy enough to use. I wonder what the largest map size will be
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Squad Leader, easily one of the greatest wargames of all time, was released with Just Germans and Russians and Americans. It did just fine. It took several years to end up with British and French. It did just fine.

You'll survive waiting.

Correction in 1985 Advanced Squad Leader (in my area it was actually Beyond Valor in 1985 (Germans and Russians only) and then we got the Rulebook in 1986) is and has been the ultimate and greatest tactical war game of all time. Hands Down!

I have been playing ASL since 1985 (and SL/COI/COD/GI prior to that) and prior to 2014 I was playing competitively (for fun, lol). When RB came out a buddy and I spent 2 years in Stalingrad playing both sides of the CG's it was a blast and hoot. Once you played that you have seen it all.

That is until Gung HO came out (now Rising Sun).

Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

You'll survive waiting.

Correction in 1985 Advanced Squad Leader (in my area it was actually Beyond Valor in 1985 (Germans and Russians only) and then we got the Rulebook in 1986) is and has been the ultimate and greatest tactical war game of all time. Hands Down!

I have been playing ASL since 1985 (and SL/COI/COD/GI prior to that) and prior to 2014 I was playing competitively (for fun, lol). When RB came out a buddy and I spent 2 years in Stalingrad playing both sides of the CG's it was a blast and hoot. Once you played that you have seen it all.

That is until Gung HO came out (now Rising Sun).

:) You do realize there never would have been an ASL without a Squad Leader correct? :)

I was playing Squad Leader after only a paltry 7 pages of rules, on pages that were taken up by a lot of graphics too. I recall the first time I saw the ASL manual.
I also recall the groans "It's just a manual, where's the game?" Beyond Valour has gone to 3 printings. I wish though, a person could visit the MMP site, and casually be able to casually order the manual and BV. But it is frequently out of print. How they can manage to not have the two most inescapably most important portions of a large series of product routinely available escapes me.

ASL is an awesome product indeed. I've owned all of it. ALL OF IT.
It would not have been possible without Squad Leader coming first.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Getting back to Second Front though, it is likely clear to anyone able to see, the developer of the game is specifically and intentionally bring the actual Squad Leader/ASL experience to the screen. Not something in the spirit of the game, but, the actual game (just not the name for hopefully quite obvious reasons).

I have Tigers on the Hunt and the dlcs. VERY impressive attempt too. But the maps are basically flat and uninspiring. The buildings are a sea of single level structures and bland. And the game has been out a while now, and seems to be heading no where fast as far as scenery is concerned.

Second Front, even in this early a stage, is clearly intending to have terrain closer to what ASL is visually, with the addition of not being restricted to a strictly top down only view.

I've seen games use graphics that simply ain't ASL. Combat Mission is a great game. But it's a massively 3d experience and not even remotely similar to ASL beyond being WW2 and squad level.

I've seen games like Close Combat, and again, great game, but ASL is a turn based design, not real time.

Tigers on the Hunt tried too hard to completely replicate the turn sequence. To be honest, this was probably not a good idea. The board game had to go this route, it has no choice. It's a board game. With a modern computer's muscle, why not use it. Second Front does not appear interested in being limited by an obsession with recreating a pointless turn sequence. I'm all for that.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Ok I concur on SL, but still love ASL.

+1 Mrs. Wargamer on your comments on Second Front. Wonder why they called it that. Of course I am horrible at naming things. World War II Tactical Combat System or WW2TCS for short lol.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Ok I concur on SL, but still love ASL.

+1 Mrs. Wargamer on your comments on Second Front. Wonder why they called it that. Of course I am horrible at naming things. World War II Tactical Combat System or WW2TCS for short lol.

Coming up with an original sounding WW2 tactical game title is likely as hard as coming up with an original romance novel title :)
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

I’ll take your word on the latter.

Return to “General Discussion”