Fortified zones and support units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

tomeck48

Fortified zones and support units

Post by tomeck48 »

I built a few fortified zones near Leningrad. Naturally they started out as OKH but I reasigned them to Finnish corps and army HQs. But now I'm unable to assign any support units to these zones. The HQs in question all have sufficient artillery, flak, etc. so why can't I assign an arty or two?

Another question, when you build fortified zones and you expect to be on that line for a while, is it better to leave them under OKH or to reassign them to the local army corps HQ?
Telemecus

RE: Fortified zones and support units

Post by Telemecus »

I assume they are German manpower fortified zones? If they started out in OKH they will be.

You can only assign down SUs to fortified zones from HQs of the same nationality. Here Finnish HQs to German fortified zones will not go.

Given the range penalties of OKH HQ which is presumably a long way away you would normally be better off with an HQ whose leader will suffer fewer range penalties to their ratings checks by being nearer. If you are expecting fortified zones to actually be in a battle they would be much much better off under a corps HQ.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

So assigning them to a Finnish HQ didn't make them Finnish. I presume that if I put a few Arty into OKH I'll be able to put them in the fort. Thanks for the quick response.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: tomeck48
So assigning them to a Finnish HQ didn't make them Finnish. I presume that if I put a few Arty into OKH I'll be able to put them in the fort. Thanks for the quick response.
no to making them Finnish, yes to OKH assignments

I think using Finnish HQs, if you can, is a really good idea for other German units as well as forts. Germany has too few HQs and Finland has spare capacity in HQs and good leaders. In a battle Finnish SUs in the HQ will commit to help German units also assigned to them, and can do so well outside the area onmap Finnish troops are allowed to go to (very useful in Blizzard). The SUs just cannot be directly assigned to them.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”